I made a decision to go for it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Senze

Reaction score
For context this was my post almost a decade ago: Several failing grades, is there any hope?

In hindsight I am upset I edited everything I said out, however, you may be able to get the context from what was being said in there by others.

At any rate…

First and foremost I just want to say thank you to everyone who said something from a genuine, well-informed, and well thought out place at that time. I honestly felt real apprehensive about going for it. Not because I didn’t know if I wanted to or not. Not at all, I wanted and want this more than I should articulate. The apprehensiveness came from objectivity, it was because I was at a point in my life where I matured to the level of awareness allowing me to see that even if you are talented enough or hard working enough, you may not get there anyways, for a myriad of reasons. A lot of people gave me positive words of advice in that thread. It’s crucial that I point out that not all of the positive words were directed or focused on me deciding to actually shoot for medical school. There was honest concern for my life trajectory and I whole heartedly appreciate that. It may have deterred me a bit, as I soon found myself making the decision to go a safe route in order to save my life from what to me would’ve been a disaster.

Anyways, boohoo, woe was me.

Now, to the point.

The “final fantasy” (🤢🤮😭) of getting into med school (😤) was something that I made my mission to do whole-heartedly in 2019. I currently stand as a summa cum laude awarded graduate with two bachelors of science degrees and a minor from the 4-year university I took exactly 80 credit hours in, of which majority were upper-division coursework. This was after I spent 25 credit hours at a CC getting my AA (4.0 GPA there).

Tutored two upper-level “weed out” classes that I really enjoyed learning (semester I and II of the same discipline). I’m hoping to get an LOR from both or, more than likely, one of the professors who taught one of the courses. Also, I was a TA for a neuropsychology course known to give students difficulty.

Did research for 1.5 years. Might get a publication from a side project of mine in January. Fingers crossed.

Held other leadership roles on campus in the form of executive board positions of premedical and science based clubs.

Including my time in those extracurriculars, along with raw volunteer hours from things such as patient liaison in a hospital, medical missions trips (x4), patient transportation, and a church pantry distributing food to the underserved and impoverished; I’ve managed to get to about 400 volunteer hours.

Physician Shadowing will be taken care of after I take the MCAT next year. Currently focusing on that.

Also, I may be having a stroke because I worked 32+ hours a week as full-time for about 3 years in healthcare settings, then half a year part-time working 24 hours a week. I know this is the crude math, but if there are 52 weeks in a year then I worked approximately 5600 hours in a hospital setting. Hours need to be deducted of course for holidays and other inconsistencies, but I digress. Hopefully I’ll be receiving a pair of LORs, one from two different physicians I had the privilege to work under.

I currently work as a Tutor for 1st grade students to the collegiate level. Math and Science courses only.

Still not sure if I’ll make it in this round. I’m probably going to do an additional SMP after I finish the MCAT. Then I’ll be confident enough to apply.

Special shout out to @Goro. I apologize if tagging you is inappropriate. However, you gave me hope. And that hope gave me the confidence to keep going. Even if I don’t make it in medicine, I’ve learned so much about myself in this journey, a journey that I feel truly forces you to evolve, if you let it. Anyways, let me stop being cheesy. Have a good day SDNers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Best wishes for your success! Why are you planning to do an SMP?