i need a PGY - 1 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PM&Radam

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in other forums, but still looking for help.

I am in my last year of med school, matched for an advanced position in PM&R, but not a PGY-1 spot. I have been unable to secure a PGY-1 spot in the scramble and afterwards.

I have been pursuing options on find-a-resident and careermd.com, but no luck so far. My med school and the PM&R program have been helpful, but I feel like we have exhausted available options. I am now obviously worried about losing my spot. For now, all I can really see as an option is hoping someone backs out of a spot somewhere and something opens up before June.

I basically would go anywhere for anything for the PGY-1 year, but I draw the line at doing a surg prelim year (no way).

How do I find out which family practice programs still have openings? I would like to contact all of them to see if any of them would consider someone for a PGY-1 year only.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi PM&RADam,

are you still completely opposed to doing a prelim year of surgery. I hope tha you are exploring the option of a surgical prelim year.

CambieMD

Hi PM&Radam,

I sent you a pm.

CambieMD

Members don't see this ad :)
If surgery prelim allows you to keep your PM&R spot, it strikes me as foolhardy not to take that option if it presents itself. Putting all your eggs in one basket, as it were, will cost you the PM&R position.

About your FP question: (800) 288-2668, is the open position hotline for sudden FP openings in all years. It renews every two weeks. Consider faxing all the programs of interest to you and call the coordinators. People do back out at the last minute. It just requires serendipity to be at the right place at the right time. Good luck.

luckily i have been able to find a spot. thanks everyone for the advice