I need advice. Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontraditionallady

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need advice.

I’m a nontraditional student (30) and am currently in the process of being verified for this cycle. I have a great GPA (3.9/3.6 sci) but a poor MCAT (502.) For this cycle, I won’t be applying DO. I consider DO a backup choice that I would only do after having another go of MCAT studying/retaking the test.

My 502 MCAT was taken two weeks ago. The breakdown was 122/127/128/125. That’s an unusual breakdown for me. I can’t quite figure out the points, but normally percentile wise it’s 30s/90s/60s/80s. I’m not sure what happened with psych/soc. I am please with bio.

I live in a state where there are three MD programs, all of which have an average MCAT of somewhere around 507-510. I have a great application: weird life experiences, I’m earning a PhD in a liberal arts subject, unique activities. I’ve talked to ex-admission committee members (prior to seeing my MCAT, obviously) who told me my application would leap off the table at me. So the only thing holding me back in the MCAT score.

The twenty schools I had edited down to were typically schools with average MCATS between 505-510. I’ve always felt that this was doable for me. And I know I get there if I have another crack at the MCAT.

I’m not sure if I can do that by August 29th, however, which was when I was planning to retake it. I know typically you’re “on time” in a normal cycle if you get all your materials in by Labor Day, but I’m unlikely to even be VERRIFIED by Labor Day. I submitted my application on July the 6th and they were quoting eight weeks. I have no reason to not take them at their world.

Two other complicating factors I’m facing is that perhaps half of the schools I am applying to require college algebra and biochemistry, which I have not yet taken. This wouldn’t be an issue, but I’m expected to finish/revise/defend/pass my dissertation by May, and I’m not sure I can do that if I’m also enrolled in coursework. I may be able to, but I’m loathe to risk it.

I have three plans of action.

• Only apply to my three state schools, which have MCATs between 507-510. These wouldn’t require me to take any additional classes. I would schedule a September 28th MCAT date, which would get my score returned just before mid-October. I know this is insanely late in a normal cycle. Again, it’s unclear to me if in this situation if it is that crazy in the time of covid. My only hope would be that the low MCAT wouldn’t screen me out of their primaries and that my MCAT would improve the second time.
  • The second being the same as option one, but I would apply to all the schools on my list that had a similar MCAT (507-510) but did not require two additional classes. (Basically, I’ve been cautioned by a friend against “settling” for a lower-tiered school because I don’t want to take a gap year to address my MCAT weaknesses – so this would be my way of avoiding that.)
  • The third option would be to just retake the MCAT in March of next year, and not retake it this year. I would use the time between now and June of 2021 to study, write my dissertation, and treat it like a “post-bac,” taking two classes a semester through fall of 2021. My intention would also be to become a certified EMT this semester, and take it as a part-time job. This option is least attractive to me because it would require me to take out about $15,000 of loans – but it also seems to me to be the one that is most likely to benefit me in the long term.

Are there any adcoms or medical student graduates that might have an opinion on this?

Members don't see this ad.

With a 502, you are circling the drain for MD. Applying to only three schools is outright foolish.

Beggars can't be choosy; you need to have DO schools on your list. Frankly, with a 502 score, you're not exactly a candidate for the Uber residencies.

Or, retake the MCAT and score at 510+.

I'll wager that you've look at schools only by MCAT median, and not by how many OOS they take? If so, you'll probably find that a school like U MO or UKS takes close to 100% in-states.

Invest in MSAR on line and note the 10th %iles for acceptees.

Reactions: 4 users
Apply DO if you don't want to wait. As a side note, I have met a lot of residents in IM, Neuro, anesthesia, psych that are DO, so there are still opportunities even if you go this route.

If you retake MCAT and do well, you have the chance of opening up more options for MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply DO if you don't want to wait. As a side note, I have met a lot of residents in IM, Neuro, anesthesia, psych that are DO, so there are still opportunities even if you go this route.

If you retake MCAT and do well, you have the chance of opening up more options for MD schools.

Ok, thank you!

Do you think its imprudent to retake the MCAT on September 11th? I will have had about 8 weeks of study between. I've been really going at it hard. I would still likely continue to study and retake sometime next April, just to see if I could do even better. My reasoning being that I still would like to apply to my state school this year, which is my top choice.

From what I recall interviews start rolling in as early as August. Personally, I started getting them early September. You might run into the problem where you miss out on those early spots or getting screened out early on.

I would retake only when you see you are improving in terms of your practice test or you run the risk of just getting the same score which happened to me. I wouldn’t bank on taking it multiple times if you can help it. You will be questioned on your retakes during the interview.

It took me about three months of study time while working full time. I think I did about 8 full length practice tests in total.