I Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purpledancinduc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am currently a sophomore at St. John's in NYC, majoring in Biology, and minoring in Psychology. Podiatry is my career goal and my hope is to get into NYCPM after college. My problem is I am an average student, and I feel like I am behind in what I'm supposed to be doing as far as graduate school goes. Anxiety has racked my brain for the past week. While my overall GPA is a 3.36, I have recieved C's in the 3 science classes I have taken so far. I feel like I'm not going to be good enough to get into my choice school, or any other school for that matter. While there is a pre-health society at my school, they have offered me textbook answers for my concerns, so I would like to hear from you people out there. What was your MCAT score? How did you prepare? What was your college GPA (science/non-science)? What schools did you apply to? Thank you in advance your for help :)

Members don't see this ad.

purpledancinduc said:
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am currently a sophomore at St. John's in NYC, majoring in Biology, and minoring in Psychology. Podiatry is my career goal and my hope is to get into NYCPM after college. My problem is I am an average student, and I feel like I am behind in what I'm supposed to be doing as far as graduate school goes. Anxiety has racked my brain for the past week. While my overall GPA is a 3.36, I have recieved C's in the 3 science classes I have taken so far. I feel like I'm not going to be good enough to get into my choice school, or any other school for that matter. While there is a pre-health society at my school, they have offered me textbook answers for my concerns, so I would like to hear from you people out there. What was your MCAT score? How did you prepare? What was your college GPA (science/non-science)? What schools did you apply to? Thank you in advance your for help :)

First off your overall GPA is fine. Do you have a 3.0 in your science classes? If you've got that then you don't need to worry.

As for the MCATs, I don't think that the "studying" for the MCAT is as important as people make it. What I do think is important is preparing to take an eight hour test. It is like running a marathon. If you "get in shape" you'll be in a much better position.

I applied to all of the schools but I had my favorites. I had heard great things about Scholl, Temple, and DMU. I chose DMU.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your same position. I am at the University of Washington, it's so freakin' competitive here and I felt the same way, my overall gpa is 3.15 and my science is 3.0, i got a 23 on the mcat, i applied to 5 schools, got interviews at all 5 and got in at DMU, which was my number one choice. It's not all about grades and admissions committees (all of them, no matter what discipline you want to go into) realize this while some put more weight on grades they realize there is more to life than just books. You'll be fine, don't put to much emphasis on the mcat, but don't blow it off either, get a good, competitive score (for the profession you want to do) and you'll be fine. Real life and work experience matter a great deal for going to a health professions school so if you don't have any, get some, volunteer, talk to people. People are more than happy to bend over backwards for you if you want it, you just gotta show the initiative. Hope this helps.

This is copied and pasted because this is a repeat thread in pre and current pod forums.

I'm guessing you have not taken the MCATs yet?

For which year did you want to start pod school?

Like Dr.Feelgood said the 3.36 is fine as long as the science GPA is about the same.

A few questions you should ask yourself though...
Why did you get the Cs in your science classes and what makes you think that you will be able to do better in pod school? I'm not trying to be a d_ck, just some important info to think about. (did you do better in other science classes after the Cs?)

As for the MCATs I read 3 newspapers a day to prepare for the test as well as a kaplan review course and took the practice tests and did problems.

The newspaper thing was to read articles that I had no interest in and practice the tips Kaplan gives for getting main ideas from each paragraph.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

jonwill said:
You are the authoratative figure on NYCPM!

don't yell at the woman.

I do not have a laptop in class like you dorks at DMU. I only post when I am not doing anything else.

Luckily I was off clinic today!!!