I need an advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darisel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OP, I think you're really struggling with basic sciences. That's understandable -- with lack of motivation, they're hard to grasp.

Start back at the beginning. First, you have to really dig down deep and understand why you're not doing well. Is it laziness? Are you burned out? Do you really, and I mean really, love science?

If at the end of your personal heart to heart you find that becoming a doctor is still your passion, then you now have to buckle down and realize that with your tenuous grasp on science it is unlikely for you to do well on the MCAT. Please do not take it. You're absolutely absolutely not ready, and it would be a waste of time and money, both of which are precious to you.

That being said, I believe that it's not too late. If I was in your situation my first plan of attack would be to retake all of the classes that I'd gotten a C in. Don't feel ashamed. The hard, cold truth is that the concepts of those courses didn't sink in. It's important that you rectify that situation. Not only for your application, but also for yourself as a (potential) future medical student. Thankfully DO schools are forgiving in the area of GPA and allow for grade replacement, so that avenue has not yet been closed to you.

There is also the option of doing a SMP. I am not an expert on this, and there are plenty of SDN members who are. I won't go into the details, but please feel free to search SDN for more information. It's basically a post-bac program and your last resort to prove your competence and readiness for medical school. Personally I wouldn't recommend this route. It's long, expensive, and it seems extremely risky.

I am only one voice in this community. So you're welcome to take my advice with a grain of salt. At the end of the day the onus is on you. But I will add that I was somewhat in your shoes once, and this year I have a medical school to attend.

Moved to the "What are my chances forum." People here should be able to provide you the advice you are looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would happen if once I transfer I decide to take again all the basic science classes at my new school? How would med school look at that?

I LOVE science. I LOVE everything I learn from beginning to end. Once I set my mind to study (which is usually 2-3 days before the exam) I always wonder why I didn't start earlier given that I am enjoying what I'm learning. Medicine is my dream profession since childhood thus I wont give up.

Currently, you'd get auto-rejected at both MD and nearly DO programs.

How would medical school look at my situation? what are my chances?

Ace every course from now on, and probably do some post-bac work to repair your GPA. And ace MCAT as well. Retaking coursework and getting higher grades does wonders for your GPA thanks to AACOMAS' grade replacement policy. You have to perform well to convince you won't flunk out of medical school.

what can I do to improve my profile? Does taking upper level science classes and getting straight As on them will help me out?

Shouldn't be a problem for most programs.

How would they look at my gap year and transferring school when I'm almost done with my bachelor?

Yup. Seeing you do worse as your academics got harder tells us medical school would kill you. What I'd like to know is why you think medical school would be easier?

Will they put a lot of emphasis on my fails during that Junior year?

No and no

Would my healthcare experience and good MCAT score outweigh my pre-requisites grades?

No. Start by looking into "post-bac" or SMP programs.

Is it too late and I should say bye to US med school?

Thank you for your response. I have a few questions. I received my grades for this semester and they were HORRIBLE. I have two options I can either stay at my current University and do an extra semester to retake those Cs classes or I could transfer to a 4-yr University down in Florida. My questions are:

1. Would it affect me if I transfer from an East University to one down in Florida? (Note: I want to go to Med school in Florida and do my residency there also)
2. I was thinking about changing my major to Journalism. I am a junior science major, HA! Would it look terrible bad if I switch to a non-science major? I have two reasons to do it: 1. I love journalism as much as I love my current major (Neurobiology and cog science minor) 2. I was very, if not extremely, stupid for doing a science major because it had hurt a lot my GPA. I spoke to a Doctor and he told me that the only two things med school look for are GPA and MCAT. Hey! I honestly do not feel ready to take the MCAT and my GPA is trash, and I am a Doctor to be. He told me that as long as I major in something that I like and take easy classes just to bust my gpa and do good on the MCAT everything is fine. However, my picture is dark, yeah, but I'm still young a lot of student start college at age 20.

Anyways, please any type of feedback would be great. I am going to be a doc. I don't know how but I will. It's just that when you don't really have the guidance it's kind of hard. I thought I was doing good but it turns out I hurt myself.

Note: I hate my current University is in the middle of nowhere. I hate this cold weather.. it is not for me. However, I could handle it if it means that I would get a spot in Florida.

Best,
D :)