I NEED HELP AND ADVICE FROM A KEEN AND PROUD STUDENT PHARMACIST /PHARMACIST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc213465

Reaction score
I graduated with a bio major in may of 2020 finally overcame the decision to pursue a PharmD (august 2020)

It was too late to apply for pharmD programs as the pharmcas cycle closed already - I was aiming for 3 year PharmD programs

Due to personal impacts I cannot publicly discuss unless it is in dire necessity to do so, I was advised to give a try to see how I can join a 6 year PharmD program with my BS In biology - I got in year 2/6.

Accept the fact I worry about time and money, I am trying to accelerate my degree at the program and trying to take summer classes - the deans and my advisor refuse to even bring it up to discuss but again the situation is loose that I believe I can still save a year - I also need a hub to get actual scholarships

I’m so lost and need help - I would eternally appreciate help from anyone who has a broad mind to work on this with me

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go into pharmacy.

Have you ever worked in a pharmacy?

A gap year doesn't hurt. Heck, I'm in one right now (pre-med/pre-pod).

I would absolutely avoid pharmacy. The job market and work conditions are terrible and getting worse by the year.

There are much better professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that pay well, offer far better job prospects, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m so lost and need help - I would eternally appreciate help from anyone who has a broad mind to work on this with me

You cannot rush academics. If you are in the system then you will start as recommended by the program.

If you believe you can save a year in the program you will need to explain the parameters of it. Otherwise, not much you can do except enroll in August like everyone else. I am also a bit confused in that you said you got in year 2 of 6. Do you actually mean you're starting school with 2 year completion of a 6 year program or they somehow placed you at the beginning of the second year of a 6 year program? Since you have a B.S. in Biology you've met the requirements to start year 3 of 6. If this is the case, I still don't understand how you will save a year of schooling. All classes of a graduating class start and end the same semester every year all the way to graduation.

It does catch my interest that you seem to want to rush events / schooling fairly quickly. Did you not less than a year ago interview for medical school? Did you not get waitlisted? As a follow-up to become more competitive (as many do) did you not then get accepted and enroll in a post baccalaureate program? You seemed well determined and anxious for medical school that it seems a bit odd to me that from July of 2020 to August of 2020 you completely had a change of heart and momentum. I hope this is not because you feel "old" and that time is money for every year you're not in school. The best thing a person can do is take a year off from undergrad to get further experience and keep options open if need be.

The reasoning for my questions would typically not be of concern for most pre-pharms but you need to keep in mind that going from interviews from medical school to now pursuing pharmacy is something rarely (if ever) anyone will ever do. I hope you do not fall into the trap of running from one career to another for the sake of time:

Job Saturation: Is Pharmacy Worth It? Here's What You Need to Know | Student Doctor Network

Job Market | Student Doctor Network

With a name like "aspiringdoc", i really hope you aren't chasing a Pharm.D. expecting people to call you doctor. Realistically speaking, you'd be graduating pharm school with 6 figures in debt to pay off while desperately looking for a job a retail. Research the job market before you research these low prerequisites in pharm schools.

Pharmacists are not doctors. Pharm schools will try to convince you otherwise by making you buy a stethoscope that you will never use. It does not take a keen mind to realize that pharmacy is a dead profession. Go find something else to do. Do not flood the market that's already super ultra extremely painfully saturated.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
0-6 programs can "mess with applicants" by putting them in year 2 of 6 instead of the real P1 year (year 3 of 6) because of class size "constraints" despite meeting all pre-reqs

Unless you have a compelling reason to attend a 0-6 program (and is there a compelling reason for you to go into pharmacy?), like location or family reasons I'd avoid

Also is it really too late to apply for 3-year programs? It's "only" February lol

Last edited:
Also is it really too late to apply for 3-year programs? It's "only" February lol
This. I received 3 year PharmD emails last month from both AZCOM and LECOM Erie. They are desperate and hungry for applicants.

Schools are sending literature to high school science teachers to give to their students on their programs. High school...when was the last time you heard of a doctorate program recruiting students that are more concerned about the prom. They are a bunch of ambulance chasers and used car salesman. I have a better opinion of the pillmill pharmacies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If you wind up in retail you'll be called a lot of things by your employers and patients. Sadly, "Doctor" will not be one of them

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If you wind up in retail you'll be called a lot of things by your employers and patients. Sadly, "Doctor" will not be one of them
I get alot of "are you the pharmacist?" or "you look really young to be a pharmacist" or "you don't look like a pharmacist".

Reactions: 1 user