I need help, please!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Ivy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help here on whether i should apply and if so where? Was thinking of mostly osteopathic with howard, miami, and quinnipiac as only allopathic. Ok here it goes

URM
Born in diff country, moved to US young
cGPA 2.95/ sGPA 2.95; just graduated; very very very bad year of of college. large upswing 3.4/5+
509 mcat
learning to speak spanish ( can hold a convo)
2 years of research with publication ( 2nd author)
Tutor local kids at the high school and some courses at my school
300+shadowing
going to ivy grad program in fall
D1 athlete at top 30 college;
100+ soup kitchen
Red cress student coordinator 2 years
Youth group coordinator for my church 4 years

someone help put me in the right direction!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I need some help here on whether i should apply and if so where? Was thinking of mostly osteopathic with howard, miami, and quinnipiac as only allopathic. Ok here it goes

URM
Born in diff country, moved to US young
cGPA 2.95/ sGPA 2.95; just graduated; very very very bad year of of college. large upswing 3.4/5+
509 mcat
learning to speak spanish ( can hold a convo)
2 years of research with publication ( 2nd author)
Tutor local kids at the high school and some courses at my school
300+shadowing
going to ivy grad program in fall
D1 athlete at top 30 college;
100+ soup kitchen
Red cress student coordinator 2 years
Youth group coordinator for my church 4 years

someone help put me in the right direction!!!!

Your EC's look great, but your GPA may need to be raised a bit more. When are you going to apply?

Spend the next year doing strategic retakes of your worst grades. Get A's and your gpa will dramatically improve

Don't apply this year

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to an Ivy grad program( grace of God) in the fall so I was going to take upper div bio courses as my electives. I am not sure they would allow me to retake undergrad courses in the program. I was going to apply this cycle and try but I'm not sure anymore

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to an Ivy grad program( grace of God) in the fall so I was going to take upper div bio courses as my electives. I am not sure they would allow me to retake undergrad courses in the program. I was going to apply this cycle and try but I'm not sure anymore

The grad program won't help much with a low gpa even if its Ivy. You need a post bacc that will increase your GPA and you would prob have to take 30 credit hours worth. You can even do it yourself, but most adcoms would say that a post bacc would be better than a masters in your case. Applying this cycle would be futile with your gpa right now. You could also retake your sciences courses and apply to DO schools as well. Between retakes and increasing you gpa you should get some looks because you have a great MCAT score.

do not apply this cycle.

and I'll mention that grad level SMP programs designed for premeds are risky in this......they are supposed to mimic med school life/rigor. If you don't do well, you will have "proven" to adcoms that you can't hang....coupled with a sub3.0ugpa and you're app is completely dead

Reactions: 3 users
so it wouldn't be helpful to take upper div courses in the program?

some schools will still not even open your app with undergrad gpas below 3.0 (or whatever their cut off is)...and if you end up with a low gpa in an SMP you are toasting yourself.

but I'm just a student, I'd defer to @Goro , @LizzyM or @gyngyn if they were to say otherwise

no you need to do a post bacc where you are taking upper level science courses and retaking your previous prereqs. You need to raise your gpa to over a 3.0 and you need to take at least 30 credit hours of sciences in your post bacc with all A's to successfully raise your gpa. I would also add that you may need new recommendations from professors in the courses that you will take in your post bacc.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay so what should I do because I'm already commited to the MPH. My teammate/roomate @hamneraway94 and I are basically in the same boat ( although he has over a bit over 3.0 in both GPAs). I think he's talked to goro and he told him to apply broadly while in his MPH.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean are u getting an mph to get into med school (it won't help) or because you personally want to get it to use during your career?

If you really want to go to med school you could withdraw from the mph program now...focus on raising your gpa and apply to med schools that have combined md/mph programs or just get the mph while ur in med school...some ppl take a year off in med school to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
The MPH isn't going to help OP.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and then ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

I'm doing the mph to look at population health from a different perspective. I feel like it would also allow me to contextuaize health and gain valuable research skills in the process.

I'm doing the mph to look at population health from a different perspective. I feel like it would also allow me to contextuaize health and gain valuable research skills in the process.

Ok. Just realize that it won't help you get into med school.

Just note that in terms of tuition cost and a loss of a year at physician salary, that's over $200k worth of "contextualization"

doing the MPH from what you guys are telling me

doing the MPH from what you guys are telling me

I highly suggest for you to pursue a postbac to get your GPA up. If you are set on pursuing a master's why not grapple with one in the "hard" sciences, as that will look much more impressive than a non-science degree such as an MPH.

I highly suggest for you to pursue a postbac to get your GPA up. If you are set on pursuing a master's why not grapple with one in the "hard" sciences, as that will look much more impressive than a non-science degree such as an MPH.

A Masters in the hard sciences won't help her. She needs to take undergrad sciences courses to raise her gpa significantly.