I need help with Biochem big time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverflouroquinalone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reviewing all of the material in First Aid and really seem to be struggling with the early Biochem - particularly metabolism. Given the fact that the Biochem exam in my first year was my lowest medical school exam score, I suppose this is not entirely surprising. When it comes to Biochem, for some reason, I really feel as though I need someone to be able to explain the pathways to me first before I can grasp it and reiterate it on my own. I struggle to see past the mere detail and understand it conceptually.

Does anyone know of any good resources for learning Biochem? My friend once showed me a video of a man by the name of Sal Turco reviewing Biochem pathways: that is precisely the type of thing I am looking for, although after furiously searching online, I don't know how to access his material or lectures. In the meantime, I have been scouring youtube for explanations here and there but they are a crapshoot at best. It is also time consuming to find videos that cover the target material in the right depth.

Please help me if you can.

Members don't see this ad.

Draw the pathways over and over. Start with the first reaction drawing the name, enzyme, and co-factors involved and draw it 10x in a row and then add the next reaction. Keep drawing the pathway until you have a mental picture of your own drawing. Then do another pathway and redraw in the same way and in between try to redraw the first pathway you learned. Keep doing this.

Just looking at biochem and learning passively can be a lot of time wasted. I drew out my own versions of the pathways with the relevant diseases and everything else and had them over my bed so i could review every night. It is hard to get this stuff to stick so hammer it in.

If you are really struggling and need something a bit faster, Pathoma and the Goljan (audio) lectures were very helpful for me when it came to integrating biochem and pathology.

Also, only focus on the biochem that is directly tied to a disease with a name or a particular medication.

Examples:
INH-induced neuropathy and pyridoxine
B12 deficiency leading to hyperhomocysteinemia-induced athersclerosis
Hemoglobin synthesis and lead poisoning, porphyria,

etc, etc, etc...

Almost all the biochem taught at my med school was pretty useless in terms of preparing me for Step 1, but it may be different at your school. I didn't waste time on memorizing entire pathways (Krebs, OXPHOS, etc), because as Dr. Goljan always says, the boards are not testing your ability to memorize, they are testing your ability to make connections and learn the MECHANISMS behind diseases and therapies.

Reactions: 1 user