I need help with my life :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillowMars93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so where do I even start? I am not even sure what forum I was supposed to post this in.

I am currently a junior at UT Austin majoring in biology. So all my life, I thought I was going to be a doctor.However after a bunch of stuff happened (deleted due to privacy issues), I had been considering going the Caribbean route for vet school because I thought I would have a better chance at it, and I have always wanted to be a vet. However, last night my dad sat me down and discussed with me how he thinks it is a really bad idea seeing as those schools cost and arm and a leg, and the amount I make as a vet will mean being in really bad debt. Now my parents want me to look into Public Health (MPH). I just feel so lost as far as my future goes. Currently my GPA is below a 3 but I am working hard to improve that. I also might have to do an extra year but I am trying to cut it down to a semester because of tuition reasons. I feel so incredibly lost right now that I have no motivation or hope for my future. I don't know anything about the possible fields in Public Health. Are there careers that involve animals or being around animals. Salary also matters to me, I don't need to be loaded but I do want to live a comfortable life and be able to travel. I don't even know if this is something anyone can help me with. Maybe I am just an unrealistic loser? HELPPP (And sorry for the super long passage)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Look at public health programs offered by vet schools (Kansas and Colorado state are good ones). Also, Google "one health" and read up on that. Veterinarians play a big role in public health, and on the flip side public health helps humans and animals alike. Food safety, zoonotic, human-animal bond, and agricultural health Are all areas of public health field that can be tailored toward animal health and disease.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, OP, I've got a question.

This is going to sound crazy.

What would actually make you happy? You know, if your parents weren't breathing down your neck. What would you want to do?

I will def look into those links, thanks!

To be honest I have been on such a convoluted path so far with my parents confusing me along the way, that I am almost unsure anymore of what I want to do. I think though I have always had a desire to work with wildlife, and today I was reading up on Wildlife Biology. I need to do more research to see what this career path entails though. Too bad my parents aren't too excited about that either
-___-

Talk to some of the people at UT Austin doing the type of work you are interested in. They will know much more about these degrees than some of us do.

Also, if I were you, I would just think of what info you put on these message boards (I'm sure there are a lot of Indian biology majors who are juniors at UT Austin, but lots of people use these forums, and you never know if a friend of yours might make a connection and learns some stuff about you that you don't want them knowing (e.g., seeing that you take meds, which I think you should avoid putting on public message boards like SDN, as it doesn't seem relevant for the topic)).

As the people above have mentioned, there are MPH programs specializing in veterinary health sciences. Look into those. Lots of physicians specialize in epidemiology and work with the CDC, tracking disease outbreaks globally--their work oftentimes deals with animals which are resorvoirs for emerging infectious diseases. With your GPA, it might be tough to get into US allopathic medical schools. You could always consider either Caribbean MD schools, DO schools, etc.

I admire you being so forward and open with these issues. I hope you figure everything out soon and do what makes YOU happy! Your situation sounds similar to mine (with the lack of choice in fields, forced towards medicine, and being generally unsure) and I can let you know what I did. I majored in Biology and after pushing through it realized I absolutely hated it and only did it because my parents were adamant on me graduating with a technical/"hard" science degree. My GPA wasn't stellar at all and as a result I wasn't able to get into medical school. I began to look into public health, took a course at a neighboring college, and fell in love with it. Like everyone else said, public health is a very interdisciplinary field and can encompass almost anything you want it to. There's not health field that would be lacking with a background in public health. Just make sure you're not following cash flow and starting salaries when you make a decision.

Solara, thanks for the heads up!

PhDHopeful1623, thanks so much! I will definitely look into more public health programs!

Look at public health programs offered by vet schools (Kansas and Colorado state are good ones). Also, Google "one health" and read up on that. Veterinarians play a big role in public health, and on the flip side public health helps humans and animals alike. Food safety, zoonotic, human-animal bond, and agricultural health Are all areas of public health field that can be tailored toward animal health and disease.

Hey OneDay81
I'm a foreign vet student, and I just got my degree in Public health (MPH). I'm interested in diagnostic, zoonotic diseases, infection in general....also food industry! My vet program in Europe was very broad 6 year program with very strong portion of food technology subjects, which I also liked. I'm not certified DVM in US, but of-course I got my MPH degree in here. Do you maybe have any suggestions about the titles I should look for, and how difficult it would be to get into areas like this without certified Veterinary degree in US?
Thanks much!

Those Caribbean schools for medical school is really an awful idea, so let alone a Caribbean vet school in my mind just sounds like a money pit for most likely a long unemployment. Here is a link from a NY TIMES article of high debt for vet school in Caribbean schools:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/b...ap-new-veterinarians.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...al-school-rejects-as-taxpayers-fund-debt.html

Those schools were meant to attract the students that have absolutely no chance at a US accredited school, so they spend at least 25% more than top US DVM schools. Those schools also have a attrition rate at over 25% among 1st year students not graduating. Those Caribbean Medical and Vet School programs are just as much of a money pit with a lower success rate than those that are dumb enough to fall for the Phoenix University online degrees. I remember going to a grad school fair when I was in a time where I was quitting on podiatry and going to the Epidemiology or Biostats curriculum. I talked to a couple of those representatives for the Caribbean schools and the only reason I talked to them for more than 10 seconds was because they had some nice looking pens and other supplies like a free backpack and notecards that they were handing out. As I left their booth I just laughed at how anybody believed these programs were providing the best education for those that want to go back to the USA and practice. The way I look at it, those Caribbean schools give you little chance at finding a job that will pay you at or above the national median income.

I would say that my situation in the last year has been very similar to yours. I only have a 3.18 GPA at Michigan State and my grades took a turn for the worst when I had some complications with my health a week before finals of my spring semester and literally could barely function during all of finals week while taking 4 final exams for four 420+ level Biochem and Physio classes in a two day span. My grades suck and realized that my chance at going to Podiatry school were decreasing. I simply did not have the work ethic to study for the MCAT and bombed it simply because I was letting my doubt get to me. So I talked with some people who were pursuing the MPH route. It sounded very interesting and thought an Epidemiology or Biostatistics MPH would be great. For a while I was only Epidemiology bound, but then realized I would like a career in Biostatistics much more. Then I realized that an MPH degree in Biostatistics is probably not that competitive in this job market because you take half the Biostats courses as compared to MS in Biostatistics programs. My issue is I can't really apply to that many M.S. in Biostatistics programs because all I have are couple stats courses and Calc 1&2.

Now, I am studying for the MCAT a bit more and have my test in early September so that I can be ready to apply come early October. I am still going to take the GRE and at least apply to some Biostatistics programs just for a backup plan. I always wanted to be a doctor, especially podiatry, but really at this point I would settle for Biostatistics as a great backup plan. I had some friends that did a one year Post-Baac program that was just a certificate program and not an M.S. degree. They spent about $18K just to raise their GPA a bit for med schools. I am kind of mad that I didn't just take the GRE in January with just a couple weeks of studying so I could have taken a 1yr Master's program for something that could raise my GPA to make me more competitive to podiatry schools.

Hm, before finishing your last paragraph I wanted to say why don't you try to increase your GPA somehow, but than I saw your response. I'm sure if you do your GRE well you can increase your chances greatly, since many schools are asking for minimum 3 of your GPA score. My situation was little bit more difficult since I had english test and GRE after 6 years of VET school where my math skills weakened over time, but I still I passed it on first try. FYI I finished vet school in Europe, but two Veterinarians that I worked with mentioned their frustrations about ECFVG, so I get what you're saying :/
Anyway, with Biostatistcs I think you'll do well. I spoke with couple of professors during my master program about PhD options, and many recommended Bio, since the job outlook is very favorable, so I guess this would be a good choice if you are interested in pursuing MPH :) .

Hm, before finishing your last paragraph I wanted to say why don't you try to increase your GPA somehow, but than I saw your response. I'm sure if you do your GRE well you can increase your chances greatly, since many schools are asking for minimum 3 of your GPA score. My situation was little bit more difficult since I had english test and GRE after 6 years of VET school where my math skills weakened over time, but I still I passed it on first try. FYI I finished vet school in Europe, but two Veterinarians that I worked with mentioned their frustrations about ECFVG, so I get what you're saying :/
Anyway, with Biostatistcs I think you'll do well. I spoke with couple of professors during my master program about PhD options, and many recommended Bio, since the job outlook is very favorable, so I guess this would be a good choice if you are interested in pursuing MPH :) .
Those Caribbean schools for medical school is really an awful idea, so let alone a Caribbean vet school in my mind just sounds like a money pit for most likely a long unemployment. Here is a link from a NY TIMES article of high debt for vet school in Caribbean schools:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/b...ap-new-veterinarians.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...al-school-rejects-as-taxpayers-fund-debt.html

Those schools were meant to attract the students that have absolutely no chance at a US accredited school, so they spend at least 25% more than top US DVM schools. Those schools also have a attrition rate at over 25% among 1st year students not graduating. Those Caribbean Medical and Vet School programs are just as much of a money pit with a lower success rate than those that are dumb enough to fall for the Phoenix University online degrees. I remember going to a grad school fair when I was in a time where I was quitting on podiatry and going to the Epidemiology or Biostats curriculum. I talked to a couple of those representatives for the Caribbean schools and the only reason I talked to them for more than 10 seconds was because they had some nice looking pens and other supplies like a free backpack and notecards that they were handing out. As I left their booth I just laughed at how anybody believed these programs were providing the best education for those that want to go back to the USA and practice. The way I look at it, those Caribbean schools give you little chance at finding a job that will pay you at or above the national median income.

I would say that my situation in the last year has been very similar to yours. I only have a 3.18 GPA at Michigan State and my grades took a turn for the worst when I had some complications with my health a week before finals of my spring semester and literally could barely function during all of finals week while taking 4 final exams for four 420+ level Biochem and Physio classes in a two day span. My grades suck and realized that my chance at going to Podiatry school were decreasing. I simply did not have the work ethic to study for the MCAT and bombed it simply because I was letting my doubt get to me. So I talked with some people who were pursuing the MPH route. It sounded very interesting and thought an Epidemiology or Biostatistics MPH would be great. For a while I was only Epidemiology bound, but then realized I would like a career in Biostatistics much more. Then I realized that an MPH degree in Biostatistics is probably not that competitive in this job market because you take half the Biostats courses as compared to MS in Biostatistics programs. My issue is I can't really apply to that many M.S. in Biostatistics programs because all I have are couple stats courses and Calc 1&2.

Now, I am studying for the MCAT a bit more and have my test in early September so that I can be ready to apply come early October. I am still going to take the GRE and at least apply to some Biostatistics programs just for a backup plan. I always wanted to be a doctor, especially podiatry, but really at this point I would settle for Biostatistics as a great backup plan. I had some friends that did a one year Post-Baac program that was just a certificate program and not an M.S. degree. They spent about $18K just to raise their GPA a bit for med schools. I am kind of mad that I didn't just take the GRE in January with just a couple weeks of studying so I could have taken a 1yr Master's program for something that could raise my GPA to make me more competitive to podiatry schools.
Oh I just saw this, if you really want to be a doctor, and you are not good at letting things go, I would just say do what ever you have to to reach that goal, otherwise, from a personal experience I can tell you, it will eat you!! Good luck!

Ross actually has a very good reputation, as does st George's, and they are both avma accredited. The accelerated format, rotation opportunities,and living in the Caribbean always appealed to me. The price tag does suck though.