I need HONEST advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DEBBIEY43

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

DEBBIEY43 said:
I'm going to be applying to pod school for the fall of 2007. I have shadowed a few DPMs and I have decided that this is the career for me BUT I don't have a high gpa (due to family problems/working 40+ all through undergrad ). I will apply to all of the pod schools and I'm ready to work my a$$ off to finish whatever program I start. Am I just fooling myself to think that any program will accept me? Any suggestions?

My SATS=
overall = 2.2
Science= 3.1
MCAT= not yet (planning to take it after I graduate so I can really do well)
Extra Curricular= Mu Delta (pre-health), student gov, mentor to pregnant teens
Health exp= 2 years as a unit clerk in the CCU at a major cancer hospital, 3 years as a medical assistant, 1 year as a psych research assistant
Hardship= Low income family, First in my family to graduate from college (Dec 2006)

Debbiey43,

first of all, congratulations for your determination to graduate from college despite your family hardships. This is a very admirable effort and I'm sure your family is extremely proud of you.

Regarding your question, I'll be very honest with you. Your GPA is low but your science GPA is at least reasonable and if you do well in your MCATs then i'm sure you'll give yourself a better standing - before you see if you're eligible for school, please be honest with yourself and see if you can handle podiatry school and completely dedicate the next 4 yrs of life strictly to school and nothing else. I can see that you were under alot of pressure during undergrad with your family issue which contributed to your low GPA, but in pod school, the situation is more intensified because if you become affected or influenced by any outside distraction - this is $25,000 out of the window literally. I don't mean to be harsh but this has to come from your own personal reflection - and if you feel that you are ready for pod school and ready to completely ignore any possible distractions - including your family issues, then go for it and i wish you the best of luck!

For the time being, if you do feel that this is what you want to pursue, then i recommend taking a postbac. courses to boost up your GPA. If you get it to the 2.7-3.0 range then you should be more than fine.

Good luck and i wish you and your family all the best

Thanks, I've actually been saving money to help witht he first few years of school. I plan on quitting my job and taking my first student loan if I am accepted into any programs. As far a family is concerned leaving the state should go a loooooong way twords fixing that problem. I appreciate the advice!

DEBBIEY43 said:
I'm going to be applying to pod school for the fall of 2007. I have shadowed a few DPMs and I have decided that this is the career for me BUT I don't have a high gpa (due to family problems/working 40+ all through undergrad ). I will apply to all of the pod schools and I'm ready to work my a$$ off to finish whatever program I start. Am I just fooling myself to think that any program will accept me? Any suggestions?

My SATS=
overall = 2.2
Science= 3.1
MCAT= not yet (planning to take it after I graduate so I can really do well)
Extra Curricular= Mu Delta (pre-health), student gov, mentor to pregnant teens
Health exp= 2 years as a unit clerk in the CCU at a major cancer hospital, 3 years as a medical assistant, 1 year as a psych research assistant
Hardship= Low income family, First in my family to graduate from college (Dec 2006)

I think you are going to have trouble getting in. Most of the schools that I know of require at least a 2.5 GPA overall. You might think about retaking a few of those classes. You meet the 3.0 requirement in science. If you score well on your MCAT, you'll have the other 2 pieces but you are stilling missing the last one.