I need referrals but I've been out of college for 11+ years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying for MD schools, and I'm also looking into 2 foreign schools. AMCAS requires that I send them 3 referrals, but my professors haven't seen me or taught me in 11 years while I was a graduate student and 13+ years for my undergraduate professors.

Instead of professors, would co-workers and/or the people who I volunteer with also work out?

What would you recommend me to do?

Members don't see this ad.

You can try to find schools that don't have a hard requirement for faculty letters, but none come to mind. Some schools require 4 faculty letters, science & non-science.

More to the point, I think you'll have some difficulty with no recent coursework. There's been a whole lot of molecular bio going on in the last decade. You'll want to be able to demonstrate that you're still able to thrive in a classroom, because the first 2 years of med school are a whole lot of book learnin'. How's your MCAT score?

Best of luck to you.

Call each school that you are applying to and ask them what you should do. It is going to be an uphill battle but you will find a school that can guide you.Good Luck:xf:

Hello,

I am applying for MD schools, and I'm also looking into 2 foreign schools. AMCAS requires that I send them 3 referrals, but my professors haven't seen me or taught me in 11 years while I was a graduate student and 13+ years for my undergraduate professors.

Instead of professors, would co-workers and/or the people who I volunteer with also work out?

What would you recommend me to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Call each school that you are applying to and ask them what you should do. It is going to be an uphill battle but you will find a school that can guide you.Good Luck:xf:

I'll give that a try. I'll let you know what they say.

You can approach faculty members about your situation, and they often suggest that you provide them with your grades and some information about yourself. This could mean reminding them about the topic of the thesis/dissertation that you wrote. Any additional research that you have done, you could show proof of it. Let them know what you are currently doing to get yourself into an MD program.

Who knows, maybe they still remember you.

Also, you may want to check out DO schools, because you may have a hard time getting a residency slot coming from a Carribean school. I am not saying that it is impossible, but it may spare you a lot of grief later.

Does the university you graduated from have a pre-medical committee? They may be willing to help you with a letter or more