I need some help choosing schools please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveAndHope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

First, I want to say thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and respond to my post. I am in a bit of a sticky situation and I need help from people (like you) who will know more about what schools are good and what schools aren't good for me.

First, I attended a community college in California to get my transfer credits. I have one class to go for the UC and USC system transfer curriculum. The problem with that is that I am no longer in California. I have moved to Colorado with my Air Force Officer fiance' and I should be here for about another year and then we don't know yet where we will be next.

Because of the moving around, I have found it very hard to finish my schooling. I am no longer a resident of California but Colorado schools say that I have not been here long enough to get their residency rate. I am 22, and they told me that I would have to be 23 to not use my parent's address, as well. So, I am finding that no schools will give me a residency rate at this time, which basically means I can choose any school, I will just have to pay more.

The other issue is the fact that I will be moving again in about a year. So if I did start a school in Colorado, I'd have to switch after a year. I'm not sure that I want to do that, or if that is even a good idea. I've considered looking into doing my BA online, and then worry about my MA after that is completed, but I want to make sure that the school I go to will be accepted when I do go for my MA.

As you can see, I'm in a bit of a pickle! I will be doing that last needed class this semester, and would like to transfer to a school for the fall semester and get started on my BA. I just need help finding a school that will be acceptable and not hard for me to attend because of my moving.

If you can help, please do! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is going to seem like an odd question, but do you have a date set for your wedding? Once you marry, one of the benefits of being part of the military is that you are automatically considered in-state for tuition purposes. Even spouses :)

As a military spouse I made sure I picked an in person school, but that offered enough online classes that I could finish out if we suddenly got transferred in the process. Which of course happened BTW ha.

That is actually an excellent point! We do not have a date set yet, but that will for sure be something I will talk with him about. Right now though, I am looking to see if an online degree through a state school is even worth my trouble. I'm wondering if it would be considered as a good degree. You finished up online, did thay change anything for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, it didn't change anything. I crammed as much in person as fast as I could. So I only have two classes left to grad in this -- my final semester. I checked to make sure an assortment of classes were available online when I applied. Most major universities offer some online classes to help students fill out their schedule (back in the day it was correspondence classes in the summer). You have to see JUST how many and what are available and save those for the time you might be moving.

I ended up staying behind for a few months to finish out this semester though. Also to let my son finish out his year. Really selfishly, it's to also finish up my thesis and research team projects. Aaaaaaannnnnd I really want to walk in my graduation ceremony. It has been a crazy road with all the transfers!! I feel I need the pomp and ceremony to help celebrate my accomplishment haha.

But to answer what I think you are asking -- no my degree is a regular degree from my university. It is not "university of online services of Florida" bachelor's or anything. No one will know that 10 of my last 60 hours were online.

I honestly, honestly, wouldn't get a degree from a solely online university. Also what I think you are going to find out is that they charge more than undergrad out-of-state at some online universities. We call it cash-for-grades. There are several universities that partner with some of the larger military bases and offer classes in person. While these may not be as rigorous as some state universities, I don't think they have quite the stigma attached to them like say, University of Phoenix does. They also offer some online options to compliment the on-base offering. Make sure they don't charge an exorbitant sum for those online classes!

Sorry, I'm all over the place, but I'm on my iPad and can't see the whole post so I'm answering from memory...

Thank you for all of your input! It is much appreciated.