I need your advice (post bacc/smp applications) - thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lpnguyen3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum...I just need your guys' help on this topic really quick. I'm trying to applying to some post bacc programs right now and I need to explain what makes me a disadvantaged student. Long story short, I grew up in Vietnam in a poor household (abusive and alcoholic dad), got raped multiple times over the years by my elementary school teacher, relatives, and next door neighbors as a child. When I moved to college for the first time, I was contacted by the perpetrator and I went through a period of depression. I was too ashamed to tell anyone about it and my grades suffered as a consequence. Luckily, a few years later, I reached out to a rape crisis organization and they helped me a lot. I eventually became a rape crisis advocate for the organization and I now feel comfortable sharing my story with others. However, I know that this is a touchy subject and am not sure if this will send a red flag to any universities that I'm applying to. I know these were the circumstances that I went through but I guess I just don't want to trigger or make anyone uncomfortable with my story (if that makes sense).

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I've seen people with these types of stories own it and grow from it, and they have done great. Schools will not view this as a red flag if you can demonstrate that you are ready to move forward.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have nothing practical to add. Just wanted to say I'm sorry for what you had to go through and hope you rise above it all. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story.

Yea...tbh I'd open with that. Might need to change the language a bit to make it more professional, but think that's a pretty good summary. That's some rough ****, but seems like you've come out the other side reasonably well...

FYI: might want to change your profile picture to protect your own anonymity

Sorry about what you had to go through, and best of luck moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea...tbh I'd open with that. Might need to change the language a bit to make it more professional, but think that's a pretty good summary. That's some rough ****, but seems like you've come out the other side reasonably well...

Thanks for your advice. :)