I need your help. My chances of getting accepted.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated in May 2013, took DAT in 2014, and applied late in October for 2014-2015 cycle.
I do not get any acceptance from any school, and I want to reapply for upcoming cycle again.
Would you please tell me what my weaknesses are and things that I need to improve?

PAT: 21
QR: 19
RC: 18
BIO: 20
GC: 23
OC: 20
TC: 21
AA: 20

oGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.28

I have more than 1000+ hours of community service, 100+ hours of shadowing(I've recently started to shadow another dentist), and I am helping a research at University.

And also, I am thinking about retaking DAT because my DAT score is average while my GPA is not high.
My pre-health adviser urges me not to take it because he thinks the score is competitive. What do you think?

Please give any advise.. I really need your help. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't you be posing this question to the ds you are interested in?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're DAT scores are fine, I would focus on raising your science GPA because that's most likely what is holding you back. Try to take a couple science classes you know you can get A's in before you apply again. Everything else looks great!

You applied late and you probably did not choose the rights schools to apply to.

Since you are asking for weaknesses, this is a question you should be asking dental schools since they are the ones reviewing you and should be able to say why you were not admitted.

I'll agree with everyone above: You got decent stats! I really think the October submission was the problem.

But beyond that... did you get any interviews? Also, what schools did you apply to?

There aren't any major red flags in your application (perhaps RC is a bit low, but it's acceptable; same with sGPA), so I'm wondering if you need to brush up on interviews, or perhaps the schools you applied to weren't a good fit and you need to apply more broadly. For example, if you only applied to Columbia, UCLA, and Harvard -- weeell, tough luck; those are schools that can emphasize stats, *and* you were applying late.

This about this: What sets you apart from all the other candidates, and how did you communicate those aspects *both* in your application, and during your interviews? Plus: Did you apply to schools that appreciate what sets you apart? (Example: It seems like you do a lot of community service, so did you apply to ASDOH and Western?) Lastly, contact schools and ask them about the next cycle, and how they like you as an applicant -- it never hurts to know someone in admin. Good luck!

UK, Louisville Creighton, Howard, Tufts, BU, Loma Linda, Midwestern, Arizona, temple are the schools that I applied to(not ASDOH and Western :( ) and did not get any interviews.
I sent emails to dental schools early in Feb but have not received their replies back yet except Tufts and BU.
Tufts said my application is still under review and BU said applying late was major problem.
It is now late in Feb, and I felt like time is limited while I had little information.. so I asked for help for the first on this forum.

Thank you all! I really appreciate your comments and suggestion.

UK, Louisville Creighton, Howard, Tufts, BU, Loma Linda, Midwestern, Arizona, temple are the schools that I applied to(not ASDOH and Western :( ) and did not get any interviews.
I sent emails to dental schools early in Feb but have not received their replies back yet except Tufts and BU.
Tufts said my application is still under review and BU said applying late was major problem.
It is now late in Feb, and I felt like time is limited while I had little information.. so I asked for help for the first on this forum.

Thank you all! I really appreciate your comments and suggestion.
Well BU gave you advice. Your stats were decent to get into one of those schools. Only thing you can do now is hope one of those two schools lands you an interview and acceptance or wait to apply EARLY next year.

Before i wrote this, I thought that my adviser told me something wrong, and I was getting discouraged too.
I also did not expect many comments, but I am glad that I ask for help in this forum. Everyone's comment means a lot to me.
Thank you all for giving me encouragement and guidance.
Hope all is well for you wherever you are and whatever you are doing!