I put a class as planned on AADSAS but do not want to take it anymore.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishy19_

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have completed interviews at the schools I was hoping to interview with now. I am currently taking anatomy and physiology 1, and I had listed anatomy and Physiology 2 as a class I would take in the spring. However, this is the only class I will be taking this spring. I would much rather not take the class officially and graduate a semester early instead as I would be saving about 4k if I do so in tuition. This class is not a prerequisite at any of the schools I have interviewed with. However, I don't know if it would be better to wait till after I get accepted to tell them of this plan, or do it beforehand and have it hurt my shot at an acceptance. My pre-health advisor said it would be better to wait till after and ask the schools if it would be okay if I didn't take that class, but I was hoping to get some other opinions on it. She told me that she believes no schools would change an acceptance for this reason, and that if they were to, they would just ask me to take the class and I can in the event that happens.

For reference, I believe my interviews went well with the schools, and I have a 3.98 science GPA and 24 TS, so I don't think the class should have much bearing on my ability to do well in science courses.

Thank you for your help and advice. I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have completed interviews at the schools I was hoping to interview with now. I am currently taking anatomy and physiology 1, and I had listed anatomy and Physiology 2 as a class I would take in the spring. However, this is the only class I will be taking this spring. I would much rather not take the class officially and graduate a semester early instead as I would be saving about 4k if I do so in tuition. This class is not a prerequisite at any of the schools I have interviewed with. However, I don't know if it would be better to wait till after I get accepted to tell them of this plan, or do it beforehand and have it hurt my shot at an acceptance. My pre-health advisor said it would be better to wait till after and ask the schools if it would be okay if I didn't take that class, but I was hoping to get some other opinions on it. She told me that she believes no schools would change an acceptance for this reason, and that if they were to, they would just ask me to take the class and I can in the event that happens.

For reference, I believe my interviews went well with the schools, and I have a 3.98 science GPA and 24 TS, so I don't think the class should have much bearing on my ability to do well in science courses.

taking the class will make your first year of dental school easier...

First point, you don't have an acceptance for dental school right now. You might in December or later, but that might not come in time for you to do the class.

While I think taking the second semester may help you, with a 3.98 GPA, I am not so worried. If your degree audit clears you to graduate early, you can probably notify the schools. If it is not a requirement, I agree with your advisor you could wait until you need to update them.

Of course if you still have reservations, you could ask the admissions office. I agree this is probably not an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

This might help​

ACADEMIC UPDATE: WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?​

Posted by Chonté James on August 31, 2022
A popular question students ask is how to update their ADEA AADSAS® (ADEA Associated American Dental School Application Service) application; for example, to add a grade for a class that was initially listed as planned/in progress. Students should be advised that ADEA AADSAS provides applicants the opportunity to update their coursework during two Academic Update periods, which are usually from mid-August through the end of September and then again in mid-December through the cycle end in early February each year.
During the Academic Update period, applicants can enter grades earned for courses that were listed in the “Course Planned/In Progress” section of the application and add, delete or modify courses listed in that section. Applicants will receive notification and more detailed instructions about the Academic Update process 30 days prior to its initiation.

taking the class will make your first year of dental school easier...
I have already spoken to the professor who has agreed to let me audit the class so I can just show up and learn the material. This will help me in terms of dental school. Its not that I don't want to learn the material, I just don't think its worth 4 grand.

First point, you don't have an acceptance for dental school right now. You might in December or later, but that might not come in time for you to do the class.

While I think taking the second semester may help you, with a 3.98 GPA, I am not so worried. If your degree audit clears you to graduate early, you can probably notify the schools. If it is not a requirement, I agree with your advisor you could wait until you need to update them.

Of course if you still have reservations, you could ask the admissions office. I agree this is probably not an issue.
Thank you for your input!