I start dental school tomorrow!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Empty pockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so nervous.

Just curious - - - What should I wear to my first day of school?

Also, I am a guy and the next two days are orientation.

Help!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure and wear your LA Lights and bring your spiderman lunchbox so the cool kids will let you sit at their table.

Also, if you're going to be starting at either UConn or UW, I would suggest getting used to saying "thank you sir, may I have another"...

HermeytheElf said:
Make sure and wear your LA Lights and bring your spiderman lunchbox so the cool kids will let you sit at their table.

Also, if you're going to be starting at either UConn or UW, I would suggest getting used to saying "thank you sir, may I have another"...

No its actually at WVU but I was scared to say since all the bad rep they have on this website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Empty pockets said:
No its actually at WVU but I was scared to say since all the bad rep they have on this website.

West Virginia jokes are way too easy...I won't lower myself to that level. Best of luck with dental school.

INFNITE said:
enjoy hell

I thought if I had fun all my life I would go there.

So far its been hell to get to this point!

What should I wear?

Go dressed as a total bum, as dirty as possible with some nice clothes tucked in your backpack. Spend the first half of the day repelling people with weird faces and overly prolonged stares, then at lunch, bust out the nice clothes and spend the rest of the day in slacks, a nice shirt and tie.

but if you don't want to be dramatic...Just come in slacks and a collared shirt (long or short). Orientations are generally relaxed days...most adcoms comment on how the students looks so different than when they were interviewed (the rings in the lips and nose reappear, the tattoos suddenly are visible), so just dress on the casual side of business dress.

Reactions: 1 user
Shave your ankles.....so you won't lose your grip.

toofache32 said:
Shave your ankles.....so you won't lose your grip.

holy sh***!!! I have not laughed this hard in a really long time!

L8DYV said:
i dun get it. :confused:

ill tell ya what, stand up right now and grab your ankles....now think about it really hard. hehehehe...hard....

Ohmygosh!!! hahahahah you guys are brutal to this guy! But it's quite hilarious:)

Empty Pockets, don't worry, you'll be fine. Just wear something casual as suggested above and be yourself!:)

Good luck and HAVE FUN! These will be the last few days before you begin the perpetual cycle of studying for a year!

On your first day, make your intention known... Wear a long white jacket with the stethoscope tucked in your pocket and tell everyone about your future OMFS 6-year residency. DP

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Dai Phan said:
On your first day, make your intention known... Wear a long white jacket with the stethoscope tucked in your pocket and tell everyone about your future OMFS 6-year residency. DP
Allright, first of, this post by Dr. Dai Phan was hilarious. I laughed pretty hard at that. Second off, what are some of the bad things about WVU? I applied there, but I haven't really heard anything about it. Someone want to inform me, please?

Empty pockets said:
I am so nervous.

Just curious - - - What should I wear to my first day of school?

Also, I am a guy and the next two days are orientation.

Help!

Thanks.

UMich asks its students to come dressed up the first day of school as they were for their interview because they will be taking a class picture. I don't know if your school asks for the same thing but if they didn't say anything specific maybe dress business casual--- no jeans?? Good luck!

oops, I see that I'm replying to your post one day too late. Oh well.

So, how was your first day?

tinman831 said:
I guess Empty Pockets didn't survive. Dental school is going to be harder than I thought. :scared:

:laugh:

tinman831 said:
I guess Empty Pockets didn't survive. Dental school is going to be harder than I thought. :scared:

I suppose it's pretty hard to type when you're curled up in the fetal position...crying yourself to sleep.

DMD to Be said:
So, how was your first day?

My first two days were - FREAKING AWESOME.

The staff showered us with gifts, leather/canvas bag with school name and sweet personalized name tag, shirts, nice school pens, other school items, gold mugs, etc.

I know that I made a great decision to come to WV. I am extremely happy.

As for grabbing the ankles, the students love it here and I think I have found a home.

I will keep you all informed.

Empty pockets said:
My first two days were - FREAKING AWESOME.

The staff showered us with gifts, leather/canvas bag with school name and sweet personalized name tag, shirts, nice school pens, other school items, gold mugs, etc.

I know that I made a great decision to come to WV. I am extremely happy.

As for grabbing the ankles, the students love it here and I think I have found a home.

I will keep you all informed.

very cool, cant wait to get my personalized name tag in 24k gold

L8DYV said:
very cool, cant wait to get my personalized name tag in 24k gold

it was cool because it was unexpected. I bet I got at least $500 in gifts in two days.

I am going to love the dental profession!!!

Not to be facetious, but did you learn anything? Or was it just orientation type stuff?

Why do you say you will love this profession? Are there any specific reasons?

Good luck!

LNinlove said:
Not to be facetious, but did you learn anything? Or was it just orientation type stuff?

Why do you say you will love this profession? Are there any specific reasons?

Good luck!

I said I will love the profession because I worked in a dental office for 7 months before school started. I was accepted last December and quit my job and took a lesser paying position as a dental assistant and learned a great deal of dentistry from just assisting.

I will love the school because its an extremely nurturing environment which is set up for students to succeed and in the orientation process we had 15 dentists come in and give speeches and it was the most uplifting two days of my life. Furthermore, at WVU we are in the clinic very early on which is exciting.

Furthermore, WVU has near a 100% clinical pass rate and nearly 100% of the 50 students in each class graduate on time in 4 years as well as nearly 100% of them pass the boards.

Empty pockets said:
I bet I got at least $500 in gifts in two days.
your tuition dollars hard at work :thumbup:

syn_apse said:
your tuition dollars hard at work :thumbup:

no doubt!

course I will end up with about 120,000 in loans.

It will be well worth that!