I think Dr. Wilson has Duane's syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been bugging me since I started watching House a year ago -- but after some freeze-framing on my TiVo this week, I think that the actor who plays Dr. James Wilson (House's friend, the oncologist) has Duane's syndrome. He's rarely shown on-screen long enough (or in a straight-on position) to get any sense of his EOMs, but there it is. I think he has Duane's.

Thank you for listening. :D

Members don't see this ad.

r_salis said:
It's been bugging me since I started watching House a year ago -- but after some freeze-framing on my TiVo this week, I think that the actor who plays Dr. James Wilson (House's friend, the oncologist) has Duane's syndrome. He's rarely shown on-screen long enough (or in a straight-on position) to get any sense of his EOMs, but there it is. I think he has Duane's.

While I could wait until this fall (or possibly later) to start school and find out what Duane's syndrome is... the suspense is killing! :D What is Duane's syndrom? I'm an avid House fan... so it would be interesting to know. I'll impress my friends and neighbors...

prettygreeneyes said:
While I could wait until this fall (or possibly later) to start school and find out what Duane's syndrome is... the suspense is killing! :D What is Duane's syndrom? I'm an avid House fan... so it would be interesting to know. I'll impress my friends and neighbors...

Here's what I found online ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's why I think he has Duane's -- he seems to have an abduction (looking toward ear) deficit on right gaze, so that he almost looks cross-eyed when he looks to the right (the left eye turns in adequately, but the right eye does not). It also looks like he has globe retraction when he looks toward the left (with the affected left eye looking toward his nose).

*geek geek geek geek...*

I'm so going to have to watch for this tomorrow night! I'm such a House junkie. It's pretty much the only show I make time for during the school year.

r_salis said:

My thoughts exactly!!

I actually had a Duanes Type I today. It was my first patient of on my externship. I'm at a VA hospital in Lake City Florida. It is really great. All the doctors keep getting me to see things on patients they have. I finally get to dilate a patient w/o getting permission...boy does that cut down on the exam time!

short version: I saw Duanes today...I'm now an expert.

rpames said:
I actually had a Duanes Type I today. It was my first patient of on my externship. I'm at a VA hospital in Lake City Florida. It is really great. All the doctors keep getting me to see things on patients they have. I finally get to dilate a patient w/o getting permission...boy does that cut down on the exam time!

short version: I saw Duanes today...I'm now an expert.

Congratulations on starting your externships, rpames! Keep us updated on the cool/freaky things you see while you're there. :)