I think I'm probably in trouble.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CollegiateEMT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I've lurked on SDN before, read plenty of "What are my chances" threads, etc. This is my first post here because I'm sort of lost at this point, and normally I would go see my adviser at school, but I'm home on break. So Ill give this a shot.

I'm a junior studying biology, my current cGPA is 2.938. This past semester I received a B in Organic Chemistry I, taking physics over the winter and of course, Organic Chem II in the spring. I'm fairly confident I will receive a B or better in Organic II. I finished my freshman year with a 3.7 cGPA, and it has been a struggle since then. My sophomore year I had some personal difficulties that damaged my academics severely. I finished my sophomore year with a 2.935 cGPA. Mostly damaged by a D+ in calc I. I recognize that at this point, with only about 50 credits left in my next three semesters, a GPA of above 3.4 is really, really stretching it. I have not taken the MCAT yet (only because my prereqs are not completed yet). I am an EMT-B and I work for a fairly busy ambulance service in addition to working for the school's ambulance service. I have been working on some research related to EMS and I'm involved in a research competition with it. I also have some experience as a laboratory assistant in a lab that was examining the effectiveness of different disinfectants on viruses similar to avian influenza. I've shadowed a decent amount of physicians (including DOs), worked in an operating room as a unit assistant for three summers. These may seem like pointless things to tell you, but I do think it is worth noting that I have thousands of hours logged caring for patients on the ambulance, and additionally, it is worth noting that I'm not incapable of getting good grades in difficult science classes. That being said, I'm thinking I may need to do some post bac work. I really will not let go of becoming a physician. To be honest, I just want to care for patients, I'm not really hellbent on DO or MD. Thoughts? I would appreciate honest, respectful opinions on this matter. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

you are probably going to need some retakes, but just get to graduation and see where you are

at this point a do seems most attainable. you've really hurt yourself with your GPA but i hope you destroy your mcat (esp if you want a shot at MDs)

a post bacc will probably be necessary to show adcoms that you are capable of handling med school rigor

try to get a pub for research

and APPLY EARLY!