I want to be an anesthesiologist but I'm afraid of needles?

Hello,
*I just joined a few minutes ago so I do apologize if I am not posting in the right place.*

I am a high-school student, so I am quite young and have time to decide on what I want to do in life. However, complete uncertainty about my future makes me a bit uneasy so I can't help but at least look into a potential career possibility.

I've been researching anesthesiology, and given my title, it probably seems bizarre that I would even think it to be ideal for me. But, I love the overall aspects of this job and what is does for the patient. My thinking is that I'm scared when I get shots myself, but would be fine giving one to others? When I get a shot I don't faint, but my blood pressure rises and I make a pretty unpleasant scene out of fear.

Is this something I can overcome to pursue anesthesiology?
Is giving a shot different than receiving one?
Or am I just downright delusional and would never make it in this field?

Thanks! I appreciate your time and look forward to some advice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

This can be overcome and just takes a bit of getting used to. Finish high school before worrying about specialty choice!

Just remember: giving someone else a shot doesn't hurt at all!

Members don't see this ad :)

Unless they punch you.

Finish high school first. By the time you get to medical school (if you get to medical school) you might have completely changed your mind about what is best for yourself.

CRNA is another option. :idea:

Some students are afraid of going into surgery, yet they do and end up throwing up. There is no shame on that. Quite frankly, you will most likely overcome this insignificant issue :thumbup:

like others have said, give yourself some time, and you can definitely do it.. Good luck :)

Thanks to all of you for the replies and encouragement! That's just what I needed to hear. I'm glad this is something that can be overcome, rather than a lost cause. I've already started attempting to desensitize myself by watching videos of people getting shots, and imagining myself in that position. Weird! But it helps some.

:laugh: I really like this answer! You're right, I actually don't feel squeamish about the idea of administering shots to other people! (Having said that, yeah, it's still probably quite important to get over my own fear, I'd feel like a big phony wannabe doctor. :))

I started donating plasma to desensitize myself. Do some good, get stuck by people who are great at it, and get paid :)

You'll be fine. Everyone gets over it. Just wait til you inadvertently start talking about "gross" medical topics over dinner in mixed company and you'll see how quickly you become desensitized in med school.

I know exactly how you feel. I myself have always had a fear of needles and on an occasion when I was hospitalized I had to get blood drawn and several IV's. After that, I've become less afraid of needles but I sometimes still cringe at the sight of needles being inserted into skin. I, like you, also am considering anesthesiology. I think that after a while, you may become desensitized to needles. You just need to face your fears and expose yourself to needles. It's worked for me. I'm no longer afraid of getting shots, blood drawn, and IV's.

You're going to change so much in the next decade. You'll most likely change your mind.

Take a Phlebotomy class at your cc... You'll figure it out. That's what I'm doing. I too have a fear of needles. But like I say to my husband, "In life you're either being poked or poking someone. I choose to poke others."