I want to be Neurologist, is it possible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocksheng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an old IMG, graduated in 1995 with a low step 1 score -81, now on
my way to CS and CK.

I have been in US for almost 8 years, doing research in neuroscience, first
in basic research lab, and now in a disease-oriented research institution.
So far I have 2 second author Neuron papers, 3 first author J Neurosci
papers, 1 JBC review article as first author, and other 3 low IF papers in
Neuro-field. And I also have around 20 first and second author journal
articles in other field (ion channel electrophysiology). Besides the journal articles, I have a bunch of meeting abstracts (around 30).

Since my step 1 score is so low, I feel not confident at all to apply
Neurology residence.

Please, any comments of the chance to get matched? Nowadays, so many 99ers and so many young MDs.

I feel that my chance is so slim. :(

Thank you for any inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

Anything is possbile. I have come to the realization that many people will say "oh its not realistic" or" not remotely possible for you to get this or that with xxx scores or whatever. Bottom line is this. Do well on step 2! That will get your foot into the door and the rest depends on your personality and how well you click with the interviewer. Once you get to the interview, you need to be one with the interviewer!!!!
thats all there is to it. Wish someone would have told me that a year ago.

It's not going to be a walk in the park (then again, what is?) but your research speaks very well of your interest in neurology. I agree with the advice above, do good on step 2, find someone you worked with to write a great LOR for you, apply widely and smile a lot during the iv. Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually you will find in some states(if not many) your step 1 score i no longer valid., and you need to retake it. When exactly did you take it? I'm assuming a long time ago.

Impressive research, definitely helps, and it sounds like you would have a successful research career if you did not become a neurologist.

my way to CS and CK.

articles in other field (ion channel electrophysiology). Besides the journal articles, I have a bunch of meeting abstracts (around 30).

Neurology residence.

Please, any comments of the chance to get matched? Nowadays, so many 99ers and so many young MDs.

I think you have a seven year time frame to take all the steps, so you probably will have to take step 1 again to get license to do residency somewhere I would think. I am not sure, but I don't think that 81 is passing anymore? Not sure if they could apply that retroactively though. . . good luck

I may not make clear.

I was graduate in 1995.

I did mu step 1 in 2007. I am still within the 7-year time frame. How I wish that I could re-take the step 1 test.

Honestly, you will be fine then if scores are recent.. A few places may overlook you soley on step 1, but your pubs will get you a lot of interviews once your step 2 come in. Apply widely, Dont limit yourslef to a certain area. I applied to 30+ prgrams and had 12 interviews, 10 of which I went to. I ranked them all. Its expensive though, so start planning now.

Just make sure you have enough interviews and you will match.

my way to CS and CK.

Neurology residence.

yes do rotations.