I want to commit to vet school but I dont know how to start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyLady123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student, starting my 4th year this fall. I am an animal science major at a state university. My gpa is 2.36 (terrible) and I was wondering how can I get to vet school? I had a terribly rough transition into college (being the first in my family) and instead of going full force at school, i lost hope and I did not do my best. So what can I do? I have 3 semesters left for my undergrad, and I don't know how post bacs work, I am worried about how I will pay for it and I'm so sad I wasted 3 years already. I would do it again if I could. After my first semester, my advisor told me to throw away the idea of being a vet so I did (like an idiot). I do not think I can ask for her help unless I pull myself and my grades together. So what can I do, in case she still doesn't want to help me? I'm so lost and stressing out. I really want to cry but that won't solve anything. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a student, starting my 4th year this fall. I am an animal science major at a state university. My gpa is 2.36 (terrible) and I was wondering how can I get to vet school? I had a terribly rough transition into college (being the first in my family) and instead of going full force at school, i lost hope and I did not do my best. So what can I do? I have 3 semesters left for my undergrad, and I don't know how post bacs work, I am worried about how I will pay for it and I'm so sad I wasted 3 years already. I would do it again if I could. After my first semester, my advisor told me to throw away the idea of being a vet so I did (like an idiot). I do not think I can ask for her help unless I pull myself and my grades together. So what can I do, in case she still doesn't want to help me? I'm so lost and stressing out. I really want to cry but that won't solve anything. Any suggestions?

Welcome to SDN :)

Good news: you are not the only one to have ever encountered this problem! Plenty of us around here have overcome low GPAs and gotten in to vet school.

For me personally, it was about analyzing my situation, realizing what I was doing wrong and how I could fix it. For example, do you know how to study effectively? Can you manage your time appropriately? Do you have trouble grasping the material? Do you have test anxiety? All of these things are fixable. A good place to start would be your university's student resources center - they often have people who can work with you to figure out how you learn best, how to organize yourself, etc. Once you've figured out what the problem is and how to change it, devote yourself to those changes. Cut out as much "fluff" as you can - no more Netflix marathons all weekend, no more bar hopping every Thursday...you get the idea. Leave yourself some down time, of course, because you'll burn out fast cutting out everything that keeps you sane, but figure out a healthy balance that maximizes the work that you do and minimizes goofing off time.

The bad news is that your GPA will take a lot of time and effort to fix. I would suggest re-taking all of the prerequisite courses that you got less than a B in and taking some upper level sciences later on to prove that you can handle the course rigor of vet school. You probably won't ever get your GPA to the "average" range, but you can jack your last 45 credit hours and pre-req GPA up to a very strong number and apply smartly for a better chance.

I'm not sure what the other aspects of your application look like (vet hours, GRE, etc) but they will have to be very strong, too. All in all, I think you're a couple years away from applying but with dedication I think it's feasible.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say, but I think getting into vet school from your situation will likely cost a ridiculous amount of time and money. Post-bacc programs are very expensive, especially with the amount of GPA repair you need. And if vet schools are anything like med school, even if you do repair your GPA (you'll really only be able to do so much) you likely won't have your pick of the litter when it comes to what vet school to attend as your current GPA already makes it nearly impossible to be a stellar applicant (but again, others can confirm who know better than I do). So your only option may be an extremely expensive vet school.

Let's see what others have to say but depending on your state getting to the point where you get a DVM could easily cost $300k+. It's already too expensive (IMO) for many students who are in your position but already have a 3.9 and tons of volunteer experience.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious to hear what others have to say, but I think getting into vet school from your situation will likely cost a ridiculous amount of time and money. Post-bacc programs are very expensive, especially with the amount of GPA repair you need. And if vet schools are anything like med school, even if you do repair your GPA (you'll really only be able to do so much) you likely won't have your pick of the litter when it comes to what vet school to attend as your current GPA already makes it nearly impossible to be a stellar applicant (but again, others can confirm who know better than I do). So your only option may be an extremely expensive vet school.

Let's see what others have to say but depending on your state getting to the point where you get a DVM could easily cost $300k+. It's already too expensive (IMO) for many students who are in your position but already have a 3.9 and tons of volunteer experience.

I don't think it's necessarily that bad. You can do post-bacc undergrad classes (don't have to do a master's program) to improve your last-45-credit GPA. Then you can apply at places that weight more heavily that GPA. And then you can rock the GRE.

Do all that and suddenly you go from being a not-good academic candidate to being middle-of-the-pack or higher. I mean, I failed out of two different schools, with a GPA of 0.0 at my undergrad, and I was told I was on the top of academic pile when I applied. Go figure. It's all about applying at the right school and knowing how they evaluate candidates (I was very, very, very lucky that my in-state happens to be one of the schools that places more value on the last-45 GPA).

Having your "pick of the litter" doesn't mean as much for vet schools as it does med schools.

That said, yes, the OP should plan to be applying at a school that values the last-45 GPA, and s/he should be investigating which schools those are. And s/he also should consider some of the schools like Ross that cast a wider applicant net (but weed out far more people during the first few years).

The OP has 3 semesters to go. That's more than 45 credits right there. Rock those out with A's and who knows ... might start to look more competitive - at specific schools - than you think.

But to the OP: It's not 'out of your reach' or anything, but a) you may have to take the long view and recognize that you might have some making up to do, and b) you really need to finish strong. Like, no messing around, no cutting corners, no B's ... all A's from here on out.

I agree with TRH, btw. Re-take any pre-reqs you got less than a B in. Even if it means taking classes after you graduate. You want your last 45 credits to be all A's and you want your pre-reqs to be better than a B. With your overall GPA, you will need both of those to be competitive.

Like LIS said, having your "pick" of which vet school to attend is really not important in vet med like it is in human med. Also, applicants tend to have better chances with their own in-state vet school which is generally cheaper than any out of state option. This is especially true if GPA is lower as competition among other in state applicants is not as much as competition among out of state applicants. There are exceptions to this "general" statement, of course. I mean, UPenn in state is going to be more expensive than some out of state schools and some applicants are denied their in state but accepted out of state.

Cost should be considered, but if this person does get straight A's from here on out, rocks a good GRE score, re-takes pre-reqs where they received a C or less and gets some decent experience with good LOR they might stand a shot of getting accepted without even needing a post-bacc. Though a post-bacc might be necessary just to re-take some pre-reqs that had lower grades.

I know you have your opinion that vet school just costs too much and people shouldn't do it (and we all know the costs and stuff and I don't disagree with discussions about it), but it is really not well-received for you to be going around giving advice to people in the pre-vet forums and being negative about our profession when you are not really a pre-vet and are pre-med. I don't do the same thing in the pre-medical forums or attempt to give advice to pre-meds, because I don't know about medical school. So, you really should not be giving advice or talking about vet school/vet med when you are not involved in the profession.

Reactions: 3 users
Like LIS said, having your "pick" of which vet school to attend is really not important in vet med like it is in human med. Also, applicants tend to have better chances with their own in-state vet school which is generally cheaper than any out of state option. This is especially true if GPA is lower as competition among other in state applicants is not as much as competition among out of state applicants. There are exceptions to this "general" statement, of course. I mean, UPenn in state is going to be more expensive than some out of state schools and some applicants are denied their in state but accepted out of state.

Cost should be considered, but if this person does get straight A's from here on out, rocks a good GRE score, re-takes pre-reqs where they received a C or less and gets some decent experience with good LOR they might stand a shot of getting accepted without even needing a post-bacc. Though a post-bacc might be necessary just to re-take some pre-reqs that had lower grades.

I know you have your opinion that vet school just costs too much and people shouldn't do it (and we all know the costs and stuff and I don't disagree with discussions about it), but it is really not well-received for you to be going around giving advice to people in the pre-vet forums and being negative about our profession when you are not really a pre-vet and are pre-med. I don't do the same thing in the pre-medical forums or attempt to give advice to pre-meds, because I don't know about medical school. So, you really should not be giving advice or talking about vet school/vet med when you are not involved in the profession.

We'll have to agree to disagree about this. I only started posting when another poster asked "Did anyone else actually give up vet school due to cost?" and I chimed in. I actually think it helps to hear from people who are pursuing a different profession or have a different opinion. My original post in this thread hopefully made it pretty clear I'm no absolute authority on the matter (I mentioned I want to hear other opinions several times), but I do have experience with both friends in vet school and friends who have pursued post-baccs and paid a lot of money.

I also don't have a negative view of the vet profession at all (all the vets I know I like and I think they do important work). In the thread you're referring to (only other thread I've posted in) you mentioned you'll have about $350,000 in debt. If OP is already asking about cost in his/her original post, then why are we going to ignore the cost aspect now? I only thought "pick of the litter" for choosing a vet school mattered because of cost and if I'm wrong then my apologies and I appreciate you informing me.

Lastly, FWIW I think it'd be fine if non pre-meds posted in the pre-med forum. I actually think it'd be helpful to get a non pre-med perspective, even if they're wrong on occasion.

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree about this. I only started posting when another poster asked "Did anyone else actually give up vet school due to cost?" and I chimed in. I actually think it helps to hear from people who are pursuing a different profession or have a different opinion. My original post in this thread hopefully made it pretty clear I'm no absolute authority on the matter (I mentioned I want to hear other opinions several times), but I do have experience with both friends in vet school and friends who have pursued post-baccs and paid a lot of money.

I also don't have a negative view of the vet profession at all (all the vets I know I like and I think they do important work). In the thread you're referring to (only other thread I've posted in) you mentioned you'll have about $350,000 in debt. If OP is already asking about cost in his/her original post, then why are we going to ignore the cost aspect now? I only thought "pick of the litter" for choosing a vet school mattered because of cost and if I'm wrong then my apologies and I appreciate you informing me.

I really enjoy interacting with the non-vet members of this site and often, their input can be valuable. But when it comes to things that are specific to vet versus human med, some things just don't translate. In this case, post-bacs as done in the human med application process are quite costly and competitive to get into, from my understanding. Often vet applicants don't do a formal post-bac program but just take what courses they need "a la carte". Which certainly costs money and time, but not to the same degree that a human med post-bac program would. In the same vein, it seems that human med is far less forgiving of low GPA and past mistakes. It seems the only advice for those who have messed up academically and have low GPA is apply DO. A fair number of students, myself included, are able to get into vet school with sub-3.0 GPAs and I think vet schools tend to look past the numbers a bit moreso than human medical schools.

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree about this. I only started posting when another poster asked "Did anyone else actually give up vet school due to cost?" and I chimed in. If only vets and pre-vets were allowed to commentI actually think it helps to hear from people who are pursuing a different profession or have a different opinion. My original post in this thread hopefully made it pretty clear I'm no absolute authority on the matter (I mentioned I want to hear other opinions several times), but I do have experience with both friends in vet school and friends who have pursued post-baccs and paid a lot of money.

Lastly, FWIW I think it'd be fine if non pre-meds posted in the pre-med forum. I actually think it'd be helpful to get a non pre-med perspective, even if they're wrong on occasion.

I didn't say no posting in pre-vet. I don't care if you want to post in pre-vet, we have a lot of non pre-vetters that post here and chit chat and I really do enjoy discussing things with them. But posting about the costs and why you think it is prohibited and posting advice to pre-vets is not really good when you do not know what you are talking about (as proven in this thread). The pre-vets you are posting to may not instantly realize you are not pre-vet and could take your "advice" seriously before realizing that what you have posted may be far from accurate. I have bounced over to pre-med on occasion but I have only commented over there when things come up about vet/vet school, because that is what I know. I don't comment on things I don't understand or know because it is not my position to. All I am saying is that you should follow the same rule, people come here for advice and you can end up confusing people more than helping by posting things that are not correct.

And again, I never said cost should not be considered, but considering you jumped straight to $300K, it shows you don't recognize there are differences among vet schools, costs, residency status, etc. This is why vet students who know that this in state school is expensive, this one is cheaper, this OOS is cheaper than that one, etc, etc are better to comment on these things. We have discussed costs significantly over in pre-vet and I never said I disagree with discussing the cost, but I do disagree with someone who really doesn't know all the variables dropping their opinion around in multiple threads.

I didn't say no posting in pre-vet. I don't care if you want to post in pre-vet, we have a lot of non pre-vetters that post here and chit chat and I really do enjoy discussing things with them. But posting about the costs and why you think it is prohibited and posting advice to pre-vets is not really good when you do not know what you are talking about (as proven in this thread). The pre-vets you are posting to may not instantly realize you are not pre-vet and could take your "advice" seriously before realizing that what you have posted may be far from accurate. I have bounced over to pre-med on occasion but I have only commented over there when things come up about vet/vet school, because that is what I know. I don't comment on things I don't understand or know because it is not my position to. All I am saying is that you should follow the same rule, people come here for advice and you can end up confusing people more than helping by posting things that are not correct.

And again, I never said cost should not be considered, but considering you jumped straight to $300K, it shows you don't recognize there are differences among vet schools, costs, residency status, etc. This is why vet students who know that this in state school is expensive, this one is cheaper, this OOS is cheaper than that one, etc, etc are better to comment on these things. We have discussed costs significantly over in pre-vet and I never said I disagree with discussing the cost, but I do disagree with someone who really doesn't know all the variables dropping their opinion around in multiple threads.
What did I say that is wrong? I said it may cost 300k total and explicitly mentioned it likely depends on state. What was inaccurate?

What did I say that is wrong? I said it may cost 300k total and explicitly mentioned it likely depends on state. What was inaccurate?

The cost can vary greatly from 150K to 300+K... so yes, you could be right, but jumping straight to the worst case scenario and being that you have made it very clear you think no one should be doing this if it is more than what you think is worth, it just does not sit well with me. You have just had a lot of negative things to say and you are not coming from a position where you really know what you are talking about.

Again, the cost wasn't even my big issue. You gave other advice as well to the OP about her position and most of what you said is not accurate. That is the issue, you are now posting around here and giving inaccurate advice to pre-vets when you are not even a part of the profession. It would be like me giving advice to someone on how to fix their car when I don't know anything about cars.

Basically, you have come in here and just posted a bunch of negative things about vet school, the costs and how "in your opinion, it isn't worth it" and that people who still go through with it are "arrogant".

I guess my main point as I will repeat AGAIN, is don't post or comment about things that you do not know about or understand. You do not know about vet schools, the application process, what adcoms look for, which schools are cheaper, which schools allow for in state tuition after the first year, what schools allow grade forgiveness, what schools look at last 45 hour GPA over other things, which schools weight GRE more, etc. Just don't post advice to people when you don't know what you are saying. I don't know, it just seems like common sense to me.

Reactions: 1 users
for what its worth, i'm not so sure the $300k thing is far fetched for this type of scenario if the cards aren't played just right. a 2.36 is a very big hole to dig out of, and while it is most certainly a definite and achievable thing to do, i think anyone in this type of situation had better do some serious research and come up with a very solid plan of attack to avoid ending up in this type of debt. i already know several people who have sunk themselves into this sort of debt for a DVM.

best of luck to the OP - you need to get that overall GPA up and have a stellar last 45h. you may need to move to be in state to a school that will care more about the last 45h and GRE scores to help you avoid staggering OOS tuition costs.

The cost can vary greatly from 150K to 300+K... so yes, you could be right, but jumping straight to the worst case scenario

I did not jump to the worst case scenario. I jumped to a scenario that seems realistic based on the vets I've talked to and based on this thread here. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/estimated-costs-of-veterinary-school.849671/

There are a few people in this thread to http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-much-debt-do-you-have.1086875/page-2 who say they'll have loans of $250k+ as well.

and being that you have made it very clear you think no one should be doing this if it is more than what you think is worth, it just does not sit well with me. You have just had a lot of negative things to say and you are not coming from a position where you really know what you are talking about.

I don't think it's fair for you to say I don't know what I'm talking about. I can look at a cost of attendance sheet, read articles about the oversupply of vets, look at starting vet salaries and average vet salaries, and understand current student loan interest rates (they're very high), and draw reasonable conclusions from this.

I've had to do all of these things (other than read the vet articles, which I just did because I'm interested) for MD schools. I've talked with both newly graduated vets as well as pre-vets who've since switched to human medicine.

Again, the cost wasn't even my big issue. You gave other advice as well to the OP about her position and most of what you said is not accurate. That is the issue, you are now posting around here and giving inaccurate advice to pre-vets when you are not even a part of the profession. It would be like me giving advice to someone on how to fix their car when I don't know anything about cars.

Most if not all of what I said is accurate because I too have applied to a professional school. I understand the cost of different schools (law school, vet school, MD school, etc). I understand how interest rates work and I understand how tax works when you're paying off loans.

The only thing I didn't already know that I've read in this thread (and I've read it twice) is it appears vet school puts more emphasis on recent course work than MD school and some give grade forgiveness (which I didn't know one way or the other). Since I didn't specifically know these two things, it that may save the OP a bit of money. But we're talking pennies on the dollar in terms of what getting into and paying for a DVM will cost after interest.

Basically, you have come in here and just posted a bunch of negative things about vet school, the costs and how "in your opinion, it isn't worth it" and that people who still go through with it are "arrogant".

This isn't anything close to what I've said. I said (and I stand by it) that "I think it's a bit arrogant to ignore the advice of vets who are advising against it," with "it" being taking on a massive amount of debt.

I guess my main point as I will repeat AGAIN, is don't post or comment about things that you do not know about or understand. You do not know about vet schools, the application process, what adcoms look for, which schools are cheaper, which schools allow for in state tuition after the first year, what schools allow grade forgiveness, what schools look at last 45 hour GPA over other things, which schools weight GRE more, etc.

Again, I know for the most part all of these things. I've applied to professional school. I can look at cost of attendance for various schools. I too know state schools favor the home team and want to accept in-state applicants and they get a cheaper education. I understand how loans, interest rates, and starting salaries work.

Just don't post advice to people when you don't know what you are saying. I don't know, it just seems like common sense to me.

If someone understands math and tax law they can look at cost of attendance and current interest rates as well as the oversupply of vets and give a pretty informed opinion. It doesn't require one to be a pre-vet, vet student, or vet.

I'll leave it at that and let you have last word if you want to respond, as it's not my intention to get in an argument with you or personally offend you. Again, best of luck OP in whatever you decide.

Last edited:
I did not jump to the worst case scenario. I jumped to a scenario that seems realistic based on the vets I've talked to and based on this thread here. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/estimated-costs-of-veterinary-school.849671/

There are a few people in this thread to http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-much-debt-do-you-have.1086875/page-2 who say they'll have loans of $250k+ as well.

I don't think it's fair for you to say I don't know what I'm talking about. I can look at a cost of attendance sheet, read articles about the oversupply of vets, look at starting vet salaries and average vet salaries, and understand current student loan interest rates (they're very high), and draw reasonable conclusions from this.

I've had to do all of these things (other than read the vet articles, which I just did because I'm interested) for MD schools. I've talked with both newly graduated vets and pre-vets who switched to human medicine.

Most if not all of what I said is accurate because I too have applied to a professional school. I understand the cost of different schools (law school, vet school, MD school, etc). I understand how interest rates work and I understand how tax works when you're paying off loans.

The only thing I didn't already know that I've read in this thread (and I've read it twice) is it appears vet school puts more emphasis on recent course work than MD school. I didn't know this and that may save the OP a bit of money. But we're talking pennies on the dollar in terms of what getting into and paying for a DVM will cost after interest.

This isn't anything close to what I've said. I think you are just wanting to paint me as the bad guy as I think a lot of pre-vet students are making bad decisions given the current market and cost (other vets in the other thread agreed with me). Please re-read my post in the other thread and see this isn't what I said. I said (and I stand by it) that "it's a bit arrogant to ignore the advice of vets who are advising against it," with "it" being taking on a massive amount of debt.

Again, I know for the most part all of these things. I've applied to professional school. I can look at cost of attendance for various schools. I too know state schools favor the home team and want to accept in-state applicants and they get a cheaper education. I understand how loans, interest rates, and starting salaries work.

Anyone with a basic understanding of math and tax law can look at cost of attendance and current interest rates as well as the oversupply of vets and give an informed opinion of the cost. It doesn't require me to be a pre-vet, vet student, or vet.

I think you need to work on reading comprehension.

I will say one more time, my problem wasn't with you talking about the cost. My problem is with you giving advice to the OP about what vet schools look for and what they should do. When it is clear you are clueless. Is it that hard to understand? Seriously, you don't know what you are saying or how vet school applications or admissions work. Is it that hard to not give advice to people when you do not understand something?

I get it, you are all pissed off because people are doing something you would not personally do and you are calling people arrogant then saying things such as, "well, if you are attractive it is probably fine because you can marry someone rich and be fine." I'm almost starting to think you are almost jealous or bitter that you didn't do vet school or try for it. Only reason I can think of someone to come over here and make some of the ridiculous comments you have made, then completely ignore the main point of my posts. I suggest reading what I said again, then if you still miss the point (hint: if you mention costs you are missing the point), then you need reading comprehension help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to work on reading comprehension.

I will say one more time, my problem wasn't with you talking about the cost. My problem is with you giving advice to the OP about what vet schools look for and what they should do. When it is clear you are clueless. Is it that hard to understand? Seriously, you don't know what you are saying or how vet school applications or admissions work. Is it that hard to not give advice to people when you do not understand something?

I get it, you are all pissed off because people are doing something you would not personally do and you are calling people arrogant then saying things such as, "well, if you are attractive it is probably fine because you can marry someone rich and be fine." I'm almost starting to think you are almost jealous or bitter that you didn't do vet school or try for it. Only reason I can think of someone to come over here and make some of the ridiculous comments you have made, then completely ignore the main point of my posts. I suggest reading what I said again, then if you still miss the point (hint: if you mention costs you are missing the point), then you need reading comprehension help.

Ok, well best of luck to you. I'm not pissed off though and really do hope it works out for you, OP, and everyone else as I do love animals and appreciate the people who take care of them.

(and I get I posted again after I said I wouldn't, but I hope just that is ok)

I'll leave it at that and let you have last word if you want to respond, as it's not my intention to get in an argument with you or personally offend you. Again, best of luck OP in whatever you decide.

My intent wasn't to argue with you, my first response to you was politely saying that it is generally not well received anywhere for someone to be posting about something they don't understand.

I asked another member on here before I even responded to you and they agreed that they don't appreciate all the naysaying from somebody who isn't involved in the profession. I'm just much more vocal about my opinions and I find it important to stop people sooner rather than later when they might keep posting things that aren't true.

I think some good points have been made.

If it's something you really want to do, it's going to take a lot of effort, time and probably extra expense to retake classes.

On top of that, you'll need some good experience hours and all that other stuff that helps a vet school application - if you're not familiar, this site can help get you up to speed.

And if you do all of that there's still no guarantee. (Granted there's still no guarantee even if you have a great application). So it's a lot of effort to put into "maybe" - you'll have to personally assess if you want to walk that road.

It's not impossible, but as it stands with your GPA it's relatively improbable so you'll need to really hustle to boost your app and have some thick skin. Find out which schools you'll have the best chance at.

You may have thought about the debt burden everyone else has mentioned. As a current vet, I encourage you to think about it even more. I don't know your financial situation, but if becoming a vet is going to make you take out a truly horrid amount of loans I would suggest considering other ways to work with animals. Tech school has fewer academic requirements and doesn't cost as much.

@CrazyLady123

Lot of words on this page... i will distill the message for you.

1) ABSOLUTELY KICK-arse these last 3 semesters. Demonstrate that you have gotten over your problems. Get As now.
2) Take upper level bio.chem classes and demonstrate you can handle the work. And see #1, Kick Ass.

3) Then, after that is done, do your research and apply to schools that weight last-45 much heavier.

You will have a much better time explaining away your GPA if you prove you can NOW handle the work. Don't worry about ANYTHING but getting kick ass grades NOW.

Did I mention, you should focus on your grades now?

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but you can delay your graduation depending on how your financial aid works and scholarships work. Instead of post bacc work you just take those repeat classes or higher level science courses and take at least one required course every semester.

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but you can delay your graduation depending on how your financial aid works and scholarships work. Instead of post bacc work you just take those repeat classes or higher level science courses and take at least one required course every semester.

This is an important thing to consider. I didn't start my pre-vet classes until the final semester of my original degree. I decided to drop a required class (as required to still be "working towards a degree"), so I could maintain eligibility for scholarships and financial aid. Options change dramatically after you complete a degree. I also maintained priority registration as a senior instead of a non-degree or a post bacc student. I finally graduated with a dual degree after 180 hours (yikes!) of course work. It worked out really well concerning senior student standing, and as well as scholarships. I've heard some schools give priority registration for specific post bacc programs, but for my school post bacc students start over as freshman in most aspects.

You will have a much better time explaining away your GPA if you prove you can NOW handle the work. Don't worry about ANYTHING but getting kick ass grades NOW.

Totally agree.

In regards to his comment above, something a lot of applicants tend to forget is that it doesn't matter how much YOU think you've overcome whatever difficulties you had. If you can't PROVE it with real documented evidence, then all the genuine, sincere pleading in the world is unlikely to help you. And it doesn't matter what the nature of the circumstances were that prevented you from doing better (i.e. whether it's your fault, the universe's fault, or whatever). The schools have to work based on likely outcomes, and that means verifiable data that shows them that applicant X is likely to do well academically.

The only problem is that many schools have a cumulative GPA cutoff of 2.5, which I don't think even straight As from here on out can achieve. Maybe Minnesota and KSU (the big two I think of that like last 45) don't care, but I remember 2.5 being pretty ubiquitous when I was doing school research.

The only problem is that many schools have a cumulative GPA cutoff of 2.5, which I don't think even straight As from here on out can achieve. Maybe Minnesota and KSU (the big two I think of that like last 45) don't care, but I remember 2.5 being pretty ubiquitous when I was doing school research.
Your math is faulty.

OP has completed 3 years. I assume that is 6 semesters.
Says has 3 semesters left.

6 semesters @ 2.36
3 semesters @ 2.78 raises to a 2.5

Even if there were only 2 semesters left a 2.92 in last 2 semesters would raise to a 2.5, so that minimum level is VERY doable.

3 4.0 semesters would raise GPA to a 2.91 which isn't nearly as disastrous.

Obviously that assumes same workload every semester, but seems a reasonable assumption.

Retaking courses can help big time. Taking any D's/F's and getting A's or at least B's can help you get past the 3.0 hurdle which further increases odd. Just meeting the minimums may never actually turn into an acceptance (possible, but rarely seen), so set your goal higher. Also, many schools have a 2.75-3.0 minimum or out of state student minimums are higher than instate. Some schools allow grade replace, many average grades, and some only take your first grade, so that is important to look at when deciding where to apply.

Last edited:
Your math is faulty.

6 semesters @ 2.36

Even if there were only 2 semesters left a 2.92 in last 2 semesters would raise to a 2.5, so that minimum level is VERY doable.

Obviously that assumes same workload every semester, but seems a reasonable assumption.

I didn't do any calculations, heh.

I hope it works out that way for her :)

Don't give up! I feel like I say that a lot..but really, don't. If you are dedicated, able to afford it, and feel that this is truly your calling in life, re-take those pre-reqs. You might need to think on it for a while, as you may not be ready to apply for another few years. Like everyone has said on this and other various threads, GPA isn't everything. Vet schools do look at you as a whole. You don't need a perfect 4.0, but you DO need to show vet schools that you aren't messin' around when you are retaking those classes. Do well on the GRE, get good experience and letters, and start working on your personal statement. You could always try to get work at a clinic and do your pre-reqs at a CC to save money. Living at home doesn't hurt either, if you are able.

Start your researching now. Some schools (Illinois is the only one I know of off my own knowledge...I am applying there) will 'delete' your first year of undergrad, which will take some of those low grades out of your GPA pool. Make sure you are applying to schools that REPLACE your original attempt grade with the new attempt, not AVERAGE the two (I think this will give you more bang for your buck). You can talk to the schools now, too! Tell them what you want to do and see what pointers they can give you.

Also, to touch on your adviser being a butthead: Was this adviser specifically for pre-vets, or just a general adviser for your major/program? I've noticed that if the adviser isn't a dedicated pre-veterinary adviser, they don't often know much about the application process and what schools value (basically everything that everyone has told you in this thread). They tend to just say "Don't bother" a lot. If she is a pre-vet adviser, I still say to let it roll off your back. If you can prove her wrong, it'll make things that much better.

Your math is faulty.

6 semesters @ 2.36

How did you do these calculations. Possibly you're a wizard but maybe there's a cool tool?

Posted using SDN Mobile

How did you do these calculations. Possibly you're a wizard but maybe there's a cool tool?

Posted using SDN Mobile
it's a crazy little thing called "math". Maybe you younguns don't learn this practical stuff anymore?
Tool? It's called a calculator. (or you can use a spreadsheet.... or a pencil and paper if you are old school like LIS... or a slide rule or abacus if you are really old).

6*2.36 =x (# semesters taken * gpa)
9*2.5 = y (total number of semesters to be completed * grade desired).

(y-x)/3 (#semesters remaining) = gpa needed to raise to a 2.5.

Regarding delaying graduation - there's a maximum credit load you're allowed to take under current student loan regulations. I'm not sure what the cut-off is and it's possible it may very among schools, but I started getting alerts in undergrad letting me know my financial aid was gonna be pulled if I didn't wrap up my course of studies within a semester. Just be aware that delaying graduation may come with a cost.

it's a crazy little thing called "math". Maybe you younguns don't learn this practical stuff anymore?
Tool? It's called a calculator. (or you can use a spreadsheet.... or a pencil and paper if you are old school like LIS... or a slide rule or abacus if you are really old).

Nerd.

Reactions: 4 users

I was being sarcastic... Sorry :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

tumblr_inline_mtsovqvZ1S1rqgj4j.gif

This seems like the most relevant thread for me to post in without starting another thread, so here goes! I'm just over a week away from starting ALL of my science pre-reqs. Since my undergrad GPA (5 years ago) is about a 2.6 I know that I have to basically earn all A's in order to have a shot.

I'm just so anxious. I think about it non stop almost all day, every day. Right now it is all just a dream and it is absolutely up to me to make it a reality. Although I am willing to do whatever it takes, I'm just so afraid that I won't be able to handle it. I mean, the last science class I took was biology in high school! I didn't take Chem or Physics in high school and my math skills are so weak. I did very well in Biology with minimal effort but that was a long time ago.

I'm just nervous because I have no idea what's it's like to take science classes. My major was Psych and I really didn't put much effort into that. I just want to hear others' experiences coming from a non-science background who felt the same reservations I do. I think my biggest fear is the Math and knowing that anything less than one B will kill my chance of making this happen.

I think I just need classes to start, but like I said, I think about it non-stop and it keeps me up many nights :(

This seems like the most relevant thread for me to post in without starting another thread, so here goes! I'm just over a week away from starting ALL of my science pre-reqs. Since my undergrad GPA (5 years ago) is about a 2.6 I know that I have to basically earn all A's in order to have a shot.

I'm just so anxious. I think about it non stop almost all day, every day. Right now it is all just a dream and it is absolutely up to me to make it a reality. Although I am willing to do whatever it takes, I'm just so afraid that I won't be able to handle it. I mean, the last science class I took was biology in high school! I didn't take Chem or Physics in high school and my math skills are so weak. I did very well in Biology with minimal effort but that was a long time ago.

I'm just nervous because I have no idea what's it's like to take science classes. My major was Psych and I really didn't put much effort into that. I just want to hear others' experiences coming from a non-science background who felt the same reservations I do. I think my biggest fear is the Math and knowing that anything less than one B will kill my chance of making this happen.

I think I just need classes to start, but like I said, I think about it non-stop and it keeps me up many nights :(

You're right: You just need classes to start, and you just need to relax (I know, easier said than done.).

The best way to not think about it is to be busy with other things.

If it helps, I was a theology major. As far away from science as you can get. And, I was .... I dunno. 15 years past college-aged and the last college class I took. So I had some of the same anxiety.

It will all be ok. Study hard, keep your head down, and you will do fine.

You're right: You just need classes to start, and you just need to relax (I know, easier said than done.).

The best way to not think about it is to be busy with other things.

If it helps, I was a theology major. As far away from science as you can get. And, I was .... I dunno. 15 years past college-aged and the last college class I took. So I had some of the same anxiety.

It will all be ok. Study hard, keep your head down, and you will do fine.
Thank you :) That helps. I'm counting the days!!

After my first semester, my advisor told me to throw away the idea of being a vet so I did (like an idiot).

Sigh. I will never understand why so many people get such a kick out of telling people that there's no way they'll get into vet school. And half the time it's people who never even went to vet school, so they don't know s*** about it. Your first semester isn't going to completely sink your chances unless you commit a felony and go to jail or something.