I would like to answer any question related to Human Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chahatai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a Ph.D in Human Physiology so I would like to help any test taker who may have question related to human physiology.

Members don't see this ad.

No problem. I would like to contribute some to (Foreign trained dentist)FTD since we have to make much more effort to achieve our dream in US. We need to study much harder than american dental students so we can have higher score than them. Thus we will have better chance to get admitted to those programs.

hi chahatai....pls answer this.

transverse colon and rectum are supplied by ?
SMA or IMA ?

decks says IMA answer
NBDE first aid says SMA as answer.
i think decks is right........pls confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)
one silly doubt-
hypoparathyroidism causes muscle weakness-given in decks 07 in anatomy
hyperparathyroidism '' '' given in '' physiolo

hypo causes muscle weakness,right??so,the one given in physio section is wrong.......am i right???
pls confirm.......

I think you are right. The answer should be IMA. THe SMA ends at ascending colon.

hi chahatai....pls answer this.

transverse colon and rectum are supplied by ?
SMA or IMA ?

decks says IMA answer
NBDE first aid says SMA as answer.
i think decks is right........pls confirm.

I don't know "give in" referring to?

For hypothyroidism, the serum [ca2+] is low, this can cause irritability of nerve system and skeleton muscle. Acute hypothyroidism cause TETANY, patient usually die before other symptoms.

one silly doubt-
hypoparathyroidism causes muscle weakness-given in decks 07 in anatomy
hyperparathyroidism '' '' given in '' physiolo

hypo causes muscle weakness,right??so,the one given in physio section is wrong.......am i right???
pls confirm.......

I think long-term hypoparathyroidism cause muscle weakness. I think the reason is it reduces the muscle excitation-contraction coupling.

I think long-term hypoparathyroidism cause muscle weakness. I think the reason is it reduces the muscle excitation-contraction coupling.

thanku very much chahatai........

pls clear this-
glucagon has all of the following actions except
a.inc plasma glucose
b.inc plasma free fatty acids and ketoacids
c.dec plasma amino acids
d.inc urea production

thanku very much chahatai........

pls clear this-
glucagon has all of the following actions except
a.inc plasma glucose
b.inc plasma free fatty acids and ketoacids
c.dec plasma amino acids---answer
d.inc urea production

The physiology of glucagon:
1. Counter-effect of insulin. Glucagon increase plasma glucose level.
2. Maintain gluconeogenesis which is breakdown of skeleton muscle tissue and lipolysis of adipose tissue during fasting. This means blood fatty acids level increase. When skeleton muscle breakdown, the plasma amino acids level increase, liver cell urea formation increase.

which of the foll vessels has the highest viscosity blood in the body?
aorta
vena cava
vasa recta
pul. vein
pul. artery.

i'm thinking vasa recta bcoz th flow of blood is really slow thru it. Please guide to right answer.

which of the foll vessels has the highest viscosity blood in the body?
aorta
vena cava---answer
vasa recta
pul. vein
pul. artery.

i'm thinking vasa recta bcoz th flow of blood is really slow thru it. Please guide to right answer.

For normal person(normal hematocrit), the viscosity of blood is related to the blood flow rate (in other words, resistance) of that vessel. The higher the speed, the lower the viscosity. Blood speed is related to blood vessel type: blood speed in arty faster than in veins, so the vein blood viscosity is higher than the blood in artery. For the veins, the bigger diameter, the slower blood flow, the higher viscosity. So the viscosity in vena cava is higher than vena recta because the latter has smaller diameter.

Hi,
Which of the foll amino acids has a hydroxyl group that is sometimes used in enzymatic reactions?
serine, proline,arginine , glycine, alanine.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer should be Serine.

The purpose of this question is to test the concept of serine protease. Serine proteases are a family of digestive enzymes such as Chymotrypsin, trypsin, etc. The catalytic center of these enzymes contain serine. The hydroxyl group on the serine function like a scissor to attack the peptide bond. After we eat a meal, these enzyme will be activated from preform 9such as Chymotrysinogen) to activated form. These enzyme will digest protein into single amino acids or di-peptide in the digestive lumen.

Hope my answer can help you understand this concept.

Hi,
Which of the foll amino acids has a hydroxyl group that is sometimes used in enzymatic reactions?
serine, proline,arginine , glycine, alanine.

Last edited:
The physiology of glucagon:
1. Counter-effect of insulin. Glucagon increase plasma glucose level.
2. Maintain gluconeogenesis which is breakdown of skeleton muscle tissue and lipolysis of adipose tissue during fasting. This means blood fatty acids level increase. When skeleton muscle breakdown, the plasma amino acids level increase, liver cell urea formation increase.

after ingestion of a protein rich meal,glucagon promotes gluconeogenesis,thereby decresing the plasma amino acid levels..........given in textbook.
it is this sentence which is making me confused........

pls can u explain ............

Whether an otherwise healthy person's body going through glucoeneogenesis or not, all depends on plasma glucose level. If a person eat high protein low carbohydrate diet for long period, his body will be in gluconeogenesis state, the ingested protein will be transformed into glucose to maintain the blood sugar level.

In your case, I am sure it is long term effect, you can check your textbook then tell me.

after ingestion of a protein rich meal,glucagon promotes gluconeogenesis,thereby decresing the plasma amino acid levels..........given in textbook.
it is this sentence which is making me confused........

pls can u explain ............

hi chahatai
i thought that, glucagon infact decreases urea formation because amino acids will be used for glucose formation by gluconeogenesis..:confused:
and the vena cava question is very confusing..i was going with the fact that highest osmolarity of vasa recta will cause it to have highest blood viscosity.. please confirm these answers

You should read gluconeogenesis again from your textbook. It is very straightforward, the more protein breakdown, the more urea our body will make.

Vena recta has highest osmolarity? How does this come from?

My 2 cents opinion: you should study much harder for your biochemistry and physiology section since seems like you don't know too much about some basic but important concepts. Otherwise, you won't get a satisfied score in your exam. So focus on your study before you start doing the ASDA bio/phy paper, otherwise you will get frustrated and confused.

hi chahatai
i thought that, glucagon infact decreases urea formation because amino acids will be used for glucose formation by gluconeogenesis..:confused:
and the vena cava question is very confusing..i was going with the fact that highest osmolarity of vasa recta will cause it to have highest blood viscosity.. please confirm these answers

Whether an otherwise healthy person's body going through glucoeneogenesis or not, all depends on plasma glucose level. If a person eat high protein low carbohydrate diet for long period, his body will be in gluconeogenesis state, the ingested protein will be transformed into glucose to maintain the blood sugar level.

In your case, I am sure it is long term effect, you can check your textbook then tell me.

thanku chahatai for the explanation.

Which of the foll. characterizes the generator potential of a receptor?
-all or none response
-propogated in a non decremental manner
-graded according to the strength of stimulus
-universally present in all nerve tissues

Which amino acid possess a hydrophobic side chain ?
A) Lysine
B) Cysteine
C) Leucine
D) Hydroxyproline
E) Glycine

Please answer this

Last edited:
Which organ uses ketone body as major fuel in the fed state?
brain
liver
muscle
RBC
adipose

what is the reasoning?

polypeptide hormones increase each of the foll except

inositol triphosphate conc.
intracell. Ca conc.
intracell. K conc.
adenylyl cyclase activity
protein kinase c activity

i know the last 2 increase , but how do i eliminate other options. Please help.

intracell. K conc

polypeptide hormones increase each of the foll except

inositol triphosphate conc.
intracell. Ca conc.
intracell. K conc.---answer
adenylyl cyclase activity
protein kinase c activity

i know the last 2 increase , but how do i eliminate other options. Please help.

answer

Which of the foll. characterizes the generator potential of a receptor?
-all or none response
-propogated in a non decremental manner
-graded according to the strength of stimulus---answer
-universally present in all nerve tissues

Guys, please list the origin of your questions: ASDA released exam, which year and what's the number.

Sorry I can not answer questions without this attachment.

Hi chahatai,

Could you plz answer this q ,

what is the different between epinephrine norepinephrine ?? I am quite confused.

another question : Why tetanus does not occur in heart muscle?

Thank you in advance :)

Hi, Chahatai,

Could you, please, explain what glucagon does and what doesn't?
I have read a lot of material and now I'm a little bit confused.

Does glucagon promotes protein breakdown from muscle cells? (I know it promotes amino acids uptake by the liver, so gluconeogenesis can rise glucose blood levels... but I'm not sure about where do the amino acids come from, except for a high protein diet).
Anyway, if you could clarify that, I'll be grateful.

By the way, as a FTD, I can say you're doing something great for us!

pd: By the way, my confusion comes from the fact that I read on a google book (I can't find it now) that amino acids's blood levels are unaffected by glucagon, I mean, it doesn't increase them.

Last edited:
For normal person(normal hematocrit), the viscosity of blood is related to the blood flow rate (in other words, resistance) of that vessel. The higher the speed, the lower the viscosity. Blood speed is related to blood vessel type: blood speed in arty faster than in veins, so the vein blood viscosity is higher than the blood in artery. For the veins, the bigger diameter, the slower blood flow, the higher viscosity. So the viscosity in vena cava is higher than vena recta because the latter has smaller diameter.

Well, according to the Poiseuille's Law, the radius has the most powerful relationship with resistance. The bigger the radius, the lesser the resistance, if n (hematocrit) is kept constant.
So, assuming that I haven't mix up the concepts, the blood flow in IVC must be faster than in Vasa Racta.
Also, as Vasa Recta is the one in charge of picking up the ions and other stuff reabsorbed in kidneys... I would go with it as the answer.

Again, please, save us. ;)

Last edited:
chahatai:

I agree with Psiquis... can you please explain why it's NOT Vasa Recta? Every source seems to point to it... but you seem very knowledgeable is Phys so please help! THanks

sorry for my late answer. I think you are right. I did not think this question clearly. Thanks for correction.

Well, according to the Poiseuille's Law, the radius has the most powerful relationship with resistance. The bigger the radius, the lesser the resistance, if n (hematocrit) is kept constant.
So, assuming that I haven't mix up the concepts, the blood flow in IVC must be faster than in Vasa Racta.
Also, as Vasa Recta is the one in charge of picking up the ions and other stuff reabsorbed in kidneys... I would go with it as the answer.

Again, please, save us. ;)

Chahatai:

Decks state that "Hemoglobin is a major intracellular buffer"? Then later they state that it is an important buffer in the blood..? Blood is clearly extracellular and I do know that deoxyHb is responsible for carrying H+ ions in the blood so can you help me with this? Is Hb an important buffer in both or is this an error in the decks? Thank you much!

Note that aVF shows a large net positive QRS. There is no Q wave because septal depolarization is not directed away from the lead (see ECG rules). The R wave is very positive because early ventricular depolarization is largely directed toward this lead. The S wave is also present because the terminal depolarization of the upper wall of the left ventricle is directed away from aVF. In contrast, aVL shows an initial Q wave (septal depolarization is directed away from the lead) followed by a moderately positive R wave.

The mean electrical axis corresponds to the axis that is perpendicular to the lead axis that has the smallest net QRS amplitude (net amplitude = positive minus negative deflection voltages of QRS complex). In the above figure, lead III would have the smallest net amplitude (the ECG would be biphasic with equal positive and negative deflections). The mean electrical axis, therefore, is perpendicular to lead III, which is 120° minus 90°, or approximately +30° in this example. Leads I and II will have equally positive QRS deflections. Lead aVR would have the greatest negative deflection.
To determine the mean electrical axis from the ECG, find the lead axis that has a biphasic (equally positive and negative QRS deflections - i.e., no net deflection), then find the lead axis that is perpendicular (90°) to the biphasic lead and that has a positive net deflection. In the six limb leads in the example below, aVL is biphasic. The positive perpendicular axis to aVL is +60°. Therefore, the mean electrical axis is +60°, which is norma