IAUPR 2014 Entering Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got accepted*

Members don't see this ad.

So I don't do facebook, but I just got my accepted. Can anyone tell me where I might find an academic calendar for 14-15? It isn't updated on the website yet. Or perhaps how I might get in touch with the Orientation Committee without facebook? My email is [email protected]. Thank you so much for your time!
Congratulation! The academic calendar will soon be uploaded.

- Keep in mind that the orientation week will be on August 6-8, 2014.
- The first day of class will be on August 11, 2014.

I didn't have Facebook until I started school. You might want to think about making an account. It's not needed, but I am glad I made one.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I don't do facebook, but I just got my accepted. Can anyone tell me where I might find an academic calendar for 14-15? It isn't updated on the website yet. Or perhaps how I might get in touch with the Orientation Committee without facebook? My email is [email protected]. Thank you so much for your time!
you can go online and look at the old schedule and get an idea but you wont actually find out your actual schedule until LATE LATE june to mid july...get used to not finding things out until the last minute though cuz its the puerto rican way

i heard the medical schools in PR have all the hot chicks

anyways, sucks @iauprrecentgrad that they deleted all your content

I forgot to mention. Once you paid your deposit, you'll be added to the list of incoming students and be partnered with a volunteer student OC officer. So watch out for an incoming e-mail from an OC officer soon.

I agree with Loptometriste, I highly suggest getting a Facebook account (maybe create one just for school purpose). Here are some of the reasons: 1) You'll get to meet your incoming classmates 2) You'll get fast school updates through your Class Facebook page (esp at the beginning of August) 3) There are multiple Facebook groups (related to the school) that you may join in. Some students do decide not to have it and just rely on their e-mail for information.

Reactions: 1 user
Came across this post and found it interesting.....
first off the school is ok and not as bad as the angry person posting made it seem. there are issues but its not what you might think. its more of a major culture shock is all. They do thing differently in Puerto Rico. MUCH DIFFERENTLY.. they are more of a fly by the seat of their pants school and honestly anything goes. They are very lenient with many things. Their thought process on what is acceptable and unacceptable stems from their social views. They are a VERY relaxed country who is NEVER in a rush for things and everything can take its sweet time and they are perfectly ok. Some students have difficulty with this because they are used to things in the states where being efficient is above all else. Puerto Ricans are just chill about everything. So if you like the hustle and bustle of city life, well then maybe its not for you unless you adapt very well. Cost of living can be crazy high or super dirt cheap depending on where you go. Some places are nice, some aren't. Thats everywhere, right?Its really up to you, they don't really care much what you wear as long as you wear something. Library is very very very small and most students are unhappy with that and the hours bc they only are open such a short period of time still from what I hear and if you were used to a 24hr library, well you are going to have to learn to adapt to a school that doesn't believe its necessary. In PR there is no real rule about not talking in the library so conversations happen frequently and can be somewhat loud at times from what i remember but its their culture, get used to it. the schools campus is very small as well with only 1 building and 2 floors and not a lot of space to spread out, But there are other rooms and your dorms. When I was a student, there was rumors swirling about a professor and a student having an affair. Apparently that is a blurred line in PR as I've been told that same kind of thing goes on even now (student sleeping with a professor) but again, their culture permits it. Male professors openly flirt with female students, Female clinicians actively pursue male students, its all good though. Its a culture thing So get used to seeing things and hearing things you would never hear in the states. They work with you as much as they can when it comes to classes and if you thought that bc it was PR it was going to be easier, you're wrong. They do things their way in PR so have fun and welcome to the IAUPR fam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
also they do ALL their communications through facebook,,, that tells you all that you need to know. social media and doctoral school dont really go hand in hand BUT that is just another difference between a stateside school and a carribean school. think carefully before you go to PR its going to be hard for some to adjust to being there

Communications are NOT ALL done through the social media - Facebook (In reality, this just became an alternate in terms of a quick notification of school/class activities). For the class of 2016, majority of information comes from our hard working Executive Boards (who constantly obtain info from student council meetings, administration, and students leaders). They personally comes up in the front of the class to do announcements as it comes, provide us with important email updates, text (when an urgent info is in need of attention), and more importantly - through our Class Website bulletin board (a master copy of all updates for the coming week). If a matter is in need of class participation/vote, the executives hold class meetings for votes and to discuss issues. For those reasons, I am very thankful to have such active and hard working executive board colleagues that went beyond of what is expected. For school activities: group leaders do come to class to do announcements, send out emails, and post flyers on the school bulletin board (close to stairs that everyone walks up to).

For the incoming class of 2018, their executive boards will be given advises by the upper class/administration on the different methods of efficiently relaying information to their class as well.

I am not trying to disprove the experience of the above poster. Maybe he/she does feel that all communication was done through Facebook. But let's be honest, Facebook was "a thing" from the past. Majority of the students coming out from undergrads (for those young ones), utilize Facebook in their everyday living at those times. Hence, their respected class executive members / admission MAYBE felt that they are able to quickly provide those information to students more quickly and efficiently. But let's not generalize those experiences as for today. Times do change.

of course times change.. all the time..but then again you stated that this way of relaying information is for YOUR c/o 2016. the executive boards are not the same and do not function the same all the way around and there is no one standard method of communication. It is good to hear that they now communicate better in that school though. IAUPR has come along way. the class of 2018 will only take it further im sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Standards that still hold in relaying information as of today includes: class announcements, emails, and bulletin boards. Personally, I get those information through those venues from staff and student leaders. Yes, each class maybe function differently in terms of relaying information with their respected class. But reassure that their executive board will have the consultations/suggestions from the upper class leaders / admission in informing their fellow classmates.

Indeed, class of 2018 will take it further.

Came across this post and found it interesting.....
first off the school is ok and not as bad as the angry person posting made it seem. there are issues but its not what you might think. its more of a major culture shock is all. They do thing differently in Puerto Rico. MUCH DIFFERENTLY.. they are more of a fly by the seat of their pants school and honestly anything goes. They are very lenient with many things. Their thought process on what is acceptable and unacceptable stems from their social views. They are a VERY relaxed country who is NEVER in a rush for things and everything can take its sweet time and they are perfectly ok. Some students have difficulty with this because they are used to things in the states where being efficient is above all else. Puerto Ricans are just chill about everything. So if you like the hustle and bustle of city life, well then maybe its not for you unless you adapt very well. Cost of living can be crazy high or super dirt cheap depending on where you go. Some places are nice, some aren't. Thats everywhere, right?Its really up to you, they don't really care much what you wear as long as you wear something. Library is very very very small and most students are unhappy with that and the hours bc they only are open such a short period of time still from what I hear and if you were used to a 24hr library, well you are going to have to learn to adapt to a school that doesn't believe its necessary.
To those interested in knowing the library hours as of today:
M-Th: 7AM-10PM
F: 7AM-6PM
Sat-Sun: 9AM- 12Noon OPEN; 12-1PM- CLOSE (Lunch); 1PM-6PM: OPEN

In PR there is no real rule about not talking in the library so conversations happen frequently and can be somewhat loud at times from what i remember but its their culture, get used to it.
Personally, just anyone (Puerto Rican and those from the States/International) is guilty of this.

the schools campus is very small as well with only 1 building and 2 floors and not a lot of space to spread out, But there are other rooms and your dorms. When I was a student, there was rumors swirling about a professor and a student having an affair. Apparently that is a blurred line in PR as I've been told that same kind of thing goes on even now (student sleeping with a professor) but again, their culture permits it. Male professors openly flirt with female students, Female clinicians actively pursue male students, its all good though. Its a culture thing So get used to seeing things and hearing things you would never hear in the states. They work with you as much as they can when it comes to classes and if you thought that bc it was PR it was going to be easier, you're wrong. They do things their way in PR so have fun and welcome to the IAUPR fam.

Personal opinion is appreciated. However, this type of accusation should not be taken lightly especially if it’s just a rumor. Such rumors are unnecessary for the incoming/future students (if it’s a proven fact, that’s a different story - present the case with evidence). Everyone is entitled to their personal view, but generalizing Puerto Rican into having such a culture is uncalled for. Personally, I have met Puerto Ricans who are very much conservative (Catholics is the dominant religion) and those who are deem as flirtatious (to some degree, it's subjective). Same in being in the states and to some countries, you'll find both type of individuals. So let's try not generalize a place and it's people.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those interested in knowing the library hours as of today:
M-Th: 7AM-10PM
F: 7AM-6PM
Sat-Sun: 9AM- 12Noon OPEN; 12-1PM- CLOSE (Lunch); 1PM-6PM: OPEN

Personally, just anyone (Puerto Rican and those from the States/International) is guilty of this.

Personal opinion is appreciated. However, this type of accusation should not be taken lightly especially if it’s just a rumor. Such rumors are unnecessary for the incoming/future students (if it’s a proven fact, that’s a different story - present the case with evidence). Everyone is entitled to their personal view, but generalizing Puerto Rican into having such a culture is uncalled for. Personally, I have met Puerto Ricans who are very much conservative (Catholics is the dominant religion) and those who are deem as flirtatious (to some degree, it's subjective). Same in being in the states and to some countries, you'll find both type of individuals. So let's try not generalize a place and it's people.

pretty sure everyone knows that the academic affairs dean and the pharmacology professor had an affair and are now together and I'm pretty sure flirting goes on between faculty and students, its pretty known amongst the students who currently attend and puerto ricans are anything but conservative and are ultra flirtatious....but not the point of this forum..now is it.

I just would like to congratulate you guys on your acceptance to IAUPR. I am currently graduating from the school as we speak. This is definitely going to be a journey for you guys. But if you keep you head up, trust me it's all worth it! If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM at any time. Huda and I also make videos about optometry about our school on Facebook NEW OD webpage. here is just a sample of what I do...

Good luck you guys! =)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!
I will be coming to IAUPR starting Fall 2014. I am nervous! I have also never been to PR, have never studied away from home, and I am not sure how campus life will be. I was happy to find this discussion on SDN, so I also want to write, and introduce myself to meet classmates of my class!

@Mo808, Hello! If you don't mind, I have some general questions for you about the school.
How are the campus facilities, such as food services, maintaining the dorms, and the safety of going to other places out of the small campus just to name a few? The reason I am asking this is, because I have read bad reviews on these categories, and I am worried they will not turn out good.
How does IAUPR compare to schools in the US? Do IAUPR graduates have the same respect as graduates from US optometry schools? Because another "bad review" I heard is that the name/ the school is "looked down upon," etc. even though it is accredited.
Lastly, when will I be receiving the main admission package through mail? All I have received so far is the admission letter. In the meantime, can you please let me know all the important orientation dates for 1st year students before school starts! I want to plan to come to Puerto Rico just in time. I would really appreciate it.
Please let me know about these questions. I will write back to you if I have more questions. Thank you!

@iamwinter, Congratulation on your acceptance to IAUPR. Soon, a student volunteer Orientation Committee officer will try to get hold of you via email and help with your transition to the institution.

In regards to your questions:
  • The optometry building is less than 10 years old and kept well maintained. Currently, the modules for each clinic are being renovated and soon this will be followed by the Pre-clinic area (which is where 1st and 2nd years practice their clinical skills). The optometry building does not have any food services; however, the undergrad (serve Puerto Rican food) is just a few walks away. In the subject of the maintenance of school apartments, the housing does its best to maintain the apartments during the summer. Now, everyone has their different level of satisfaction and if you have any concern about the up keeping of your area then just bring it up to the housing. Currently, they are in the process of painting the rooms for the incoming year apartments. In terms of safety, nothing have happened to me since I got here (or even heard of anything from my fellow classmates). Like in any other populous area, if your asking for it then it'll come to you.
  • I can only speak of this Institution and my personal experiences. The institution will give the students majority of information relevant in passing the National Boards and to become an optometrist. Its up to the the individual student how they will approach this learning Journey. In the subject of respect, optometrist in my area have mutual respects with each other. The range of the institution they graduated from varies (PUCO, PCO, Berkley, IAUPR, etc).
  • Just wait patiently for it. Those admission packages are typically sent out during the last week of the month.
Important Updates:
  1. Orientation Dates: August 6-8
  2. First Day of Class: August 11
  3. Academic Calendar 2014-2015: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/student-life/academic-calendars.html
  4. Fall 2014 Class Schedule: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/student-life/academic-calendar-and-class-schedule.html
  5. Curriculum: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/docs/curriculum.pdf

@iamwinter, Congratulation on your acceptance to IAUPR. Soon, a student volunteer Orientation Committee officer will try to get hold of you via email and help with your transition to the institution.

In regards to your questions:
  • The optometry building is less than 10 years old and kept well maintained. Currently, the modules for each clinic are being renovated and soon this will be followed by the Pre-clinic area (which is where 1st and 2nd years practice their clinical skills). The optometry building does not have any food services; however, the undergrad (serve Puerto Rican food) is just a few walks away. In the subject of the maintenance of school apartments, the housing does its best to maintain the apartments during the summer. Now, everyone has their different level of satisfaction and if you have any concern about the up keeping of your area then just bring it up to the housing. Currently, they are in the process of painting the rooms for the incoming year apartments. In terms of safety, nothing have happened to me since I got here (or even heard of anything from my fellow classmates). Like in any other populous area, if your asking for it then it'll come to you.
  • I can only speak of this Institution and my personal experiences. The institution will give the students majority of information relevant in passing the National Boards and to become an optometrist. Its up to the the individual student how they will approach this learning Journey. In the subject of respect, optometrist in my area have mutual respects with each other. The range of the institution they graduated from varies (PUCO, PCO, Berkley, IAUPR, etc).
  • Just wait patiently for it. Those admission packages are typically sent out during the last week of the month.
Important Updates:
  1. Orientation Dates: August 6-8
  2. First Day of Class: August 11
  3. Academic Calendar 2014-2015: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/student-life/academic-calendars.html
  4. Fall 2014 Class Schedule: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/student-life/academic-calendar-and-class-schedule.html
  5. Curriculum: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/docs/curriculum.pdf

@Mo808

Thanks so much for the information. I had question about housing for first year students. I was confused on how each apartment is arranged. I was not sure if we would have our own room, or if we are required to share a room with a roommate. If we have roommates, how many rooms would there be in an apartment, how many bathrooms are there, etc.? Please let me know. I would really appreciate it!

I also have another question. I am from the Wisconsin/ Minnesota region. Do you happen to know any Alumni from there? Or do you know if there is a way to find any Alumni who may live there? I think this would also be really helpful.

@Mo808

Thanks so much for the information. I had question about housing for first year students. I was confused on how each apartment is arranged. I was not sure if we would have our own room, or if we are required to share a room with a roommate. If we have roommates, how many rooms would there be in an apartment, how many bathrooms are there, etc.? Please let me know. I would really appreciate it!

I also have another question. I am from the Wisconsin/ Minnesota region. Do you happen to know any Alumni from there? Or do you know if there is a way to find any Alumni who may live there? I think this would also be really helpful.
@iamwinter, each apartments have 4 rooms and 2 bathrooms. Individual student will have their own room. Now, 2 students will have to share one bathroom. To find more info about housing: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/housing.html

As of right now, alumni info are kept private. Once you arrive here, you may inquire with the administration. But I do not have access to that type of information.

I hope that helps. When you can, please PM me your e-mail so that I can verify if you are an incoming student and send more information.

I am from Minnesota and a current student! There are alumni in Minnesota as well.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, can you all please show your science/overall gpas prior to acceptance? I'm really interested in this school but do not have a bachelors. Do you guys have any students without bachelors in your class??

Thanks I appreciate it!

Hi guys I'm taking my OAT on June 29th. When I get my score, do I email Fernando the score instead of waiting for optomcas?

Any stats?? When do they usually stop accepting students? July?