IAUPR entering class 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docopto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am crteating a thread for IAUPR entering class of 2015.
feel free to share your views, ideas and questions here.
Hope this helps.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am an applicant of IAUPR this year.
I have some questions regarding application and i really appreciate all your help in this matter.
It is really difficult to contact the school, so do u have any other contact number then one listed on its website?? as nobody is picking up the phone or replying to email.
and, is it required to submit health history and immunization form at the time of application or after you get acceptance??
Thank you.

docopto,

The person to get hold of is Mr. Acosta, the Director of Admission. His email is [email protected] and his extension is - 1020. Like what I've stated on our PM, the school had been doing the Orientation for the Class of 2018 this past week. So just be patient as the admission will soon focus on the new applicants.

• To those viewing this board, the address is:
Inter American University of PR, School of Optometry
500 John Will Harris
Bayamón, PR 00957​

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have previous student loans from my undergraduate school that I did not even start to pay back. Do you know if I will be eligibile to get a student loan to pay for my entire tuition at IAUPR School of Optometry including the cost of tuition of course, books, apartment/where I will live, food, transportation, etc even if I already have existing undergraduate student loans? I have no other way to pay for my school other than student loans, I really hope I will be able to get the student loans.

I am worried about starting to pay my student loans after I successfully graduate optometry school. Are the repayment options accomodating to an individual's life? For example, if I can not make a payment for my student loan a particular month because I have many bills to pay for (this is after I am done with optometry school), can I have a low amount to pay every month for my student loans?

Are there tutors available on campus (and are they helpful) and are class mates available/willing to help one another if someone does not understand a concept, or just needs to go over material to better understand it?

Also, do you know if my living area will be close to campus? I do not have money for a car.

Thank you for answering my questions.

• Here is a website to clarify issues with Financial Aid http://www.optonet.inter.edu/student-services/financial-aid.html
    • Upon entering, I too also have undergrad students loans. Thus far, the Financial Aid office have been giving me the funds for my optometric schooling.
    • It would be wise to speak to the Financial aid office if you want to clarify your concerns. But as far as I know, the Financial Aid will provide the whole estimated amount for your optometric schooling.
  • In the subject of repayment, normally you'll have several options. Whether you want to pay more every month or less (of course, you'll pay more interest if you decide to take the pay less every month.)
  • Tutors are available on campus
  • Their is a dorm on campus if you would like to take that opportunity. http://www.optonet.inter.edu/housing.html
Please feel free to browse through IAUPR official website to get more info: http://www.optonet.inter.edu

• Here is a website to clarify issues with Financial Aid http://www.optonet.inter.edu/student-services/financial-aid.html
    • Upon entering, I too also have undergrad students loans. Thus far, the Financial Aid office have been giving me the funds for my optometric schooling.
    • It would be wise to speak to the Financial aid office if you want to clarify your concerns. But as far as I know, the Financial Aid will provide the whole estimated amount for your optometric schooling.
  • In the subject of repayment, normally you'll have several options. Whether you want to pay more every month or less (of course, you'll pay more interest if you decide to take the pay less every month.)
  • Tutors are available on campus
  • Their is a dorm on campus if you would like to take that opportunity. http://www.optonet.inter.edu/housing.html
Please feel free to browse through IAUPR official website to get more info: http://www.optonet.inter.edu

Will my student loan cover the cost of the dorm on campus option if I decide to take that opportunity and for this option can I have my own dorm?

Do you know when the deadline is to apply for financial aid?
Is food included in my student loan/tuition?

In terms of the National Board Exams (part 1,2 and 3) when will I need to have successfully passed these exams by? Will my professors guide me in preparing for them/do I need to take a separate review course (if there is one) to assist me in doing well on the NBEO?

Will my student loan cover the cost of the dorm on campus option if I decide to take that opportunity and for this option can I have my own dorm?

Do you know when the deadline is to apply for financial aid?
Is food included in my student loan/tuition?

In terms of the National Board Exams (part 1,2 and 3) when will I need to have successfully passed these exams by? Will my professors guide me in preparing for them/do I need to take a separate review course (if there is one) to assist me in doing well on the NBEO?

• Cost of the dorm is accounted for the estimated Financial Aid Award Package
  • Deadline for FA, I am unsure. Check with the office: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/how-to-apply-for-financial-aid.html
    • Personally, try to apply when it opens sometime in February 2015 and just make "correction" when you need to input new info.
    • The school code is: 003938
  • The food estimate cost is also included in the Financial Aid Award Package
  • NBEO is normally taken during the second term of 3rd year. NBEO Part 2 and 3 will be taken during the duration of your fourth year. To obtain your degree from the school and graduate, the school made a requirement that students should have pass the NBEO Part 1.
  • The lectures and materials you get from class, you will use to study for the NBEO Part 1 and Part 2.
  • The people behind KMK review do come to PR. https://www.optometryboardsreview.com
    • Depend how active your class is, you all may conduct and create your own study questions to help you study for the exam.

• Cost of the dorm is accounted for the estimated Financial Aid Award Package
  • Deadline for FA, I am unsure. Check with the office: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/how-to-apply-for-financial-aid.html
    • Personally, try to apply when it opens sometime in February 2015 and just make "correction" when you need to input new info.
    • The school code is: 003938
  • The food estimate cost is also included in the Financial Aid Award Package
  • NBEO is normally taken during the second term of 3rd year. NBEO Part 2 and 3 will be taken during the duration of your fourth year. To obtain your degree from the school and graduate, the school made a requirement that students should have pass the NBEO Part 1.
  • The lectures and materials you get from class, you will use to study for the NBEO Part 1 and Part 2.
  • The people behind KMK review do come to PR. https://www.optometryboardsreview.com
    • Depend how active your class is, you all may conduct and create your own study questions to help you study for the exam.

Thank you so much, your post is extremely informative. I am nervous about starting my journey in optometry school, I just want to succeed. Your feedback on this sdn forum/thread is very supporting and I appreciate it.

Thank you so much, your post is extremely informative. I am nervous about starting my journey in optometry school, I just want to succeed. Your feedback on this sdn forum/thread is very supporting and I appreciate it.
You're welcome @Blessed24.

Hi,

I have question about the interview. Do you have to fly all the way to PR or something else?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have question about the interview. Do you have to fly all the way to PR or something else?

Thanks.
As far as I know, No. You either can do your interview via Skype or phone call (if you choose not to visit the school).

Personally, do your best to come and see the school. This is so that you'll have a feel if this is truly the school you want to go to (same case if you would be apply with any other school).

As far as I know, No. You either can do your interview via Skype or phone call (if you choose not to visit the school).

Personally, do your best to come and see the school. This is so that you'll have a feel if this is truly the school you want to go to (same case if you would be apply with any other school).
Thanks for the info. Is the interview is English, because some people were sayings they ask you some stuffs in Spanish. I took Spanish in high school and I'm forgetting my vocabulary but still can make sense of what I say to others.

Thanks for the info. Is the interview is English, because some people were sayings they ask you some stuffs in Spanish. I took Spanish in high school and I'm forgetting my vocabulary but still can make sense of what I say to others.
Interview is in English.

Hello guys,
I am crteating a thread for IAUPR entering class of 2015.
feel free to share your views, ideas and questions here.
Hope this helps.
Thank you.

Hello there! I am a senior year student at InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico- Metropolitan Campus. I am currently finishing up my bach. in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry while studying for the OAT. My #1 school of choice is IAUPR, obviously because I currently live here! But I'm scared of the rumors that they don't admit resident students. How true is this? Also, whats the average GPA/OAT score to get in? Any other tips you may want to share will be so gratefully recived! Good day!

Members don't see this ad :)
docopto,

The person to get hold of is Mr. Acosta, the Director of Admission. His email is [email protected] and his extension is - 1020. Like what I've stated on our PM, the school had been doing the Orientation for the Class of 2018 this past week. So just be patient as the admission will soon focus on the new applicants.

• To those viewing this board, the address is:
Inter American University of PR, School of Optometry
500 John Will Harris
Bayamón, PR 00957​
Hello there! I am a senior year student at InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico- Metropolitan Campus. I am currently finishing up my bach. in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry while studying for the OAT. My #1 school of choice is IAUPR, obviously because I currently live here! But I'm scared of the rumors that they don't admit resident students. How true is this? Also, whats the average GPA/OAT score to get in? Any other tips you may want to share will be so gratefully recived! Good day!

Hola @Dr_eyelien!
  • That rumors is not true. Like for this class of 2018, about 8+ students are from Puerto Rico (that's more than 10% of their class).
  • I personally do not have the figure for the finalized GPA/OAT score. However, you should aim to have a minimum 3.0 GPA and 300 overall OAT score. Do your best to surpass those figures to be on a safe side, especially when selection time comes along. Here is how the Director Of Admission analyze candidates: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/admission-process.html
  • When you have the time, try to visit the school and do a tour.

Hola @Dr_eyelien!
  • That rumors is not true. Like for this class of 2018, about 8+ students are from Puerto Rico (that's more than 10% of their class).
  • I personally do not have the figure for the finalized GPA/OAT score. However, you should aim to have a minimum 3.0 GPA and 300 overall OAT score. Do your best to surpass those figures to be on a safe side, especially when selection time comes along. Here is how the Director Of Admission analyze candidates: http://www.optonet.inter.edu/admission-process.html
  • When you have the time, try to visit the school and do a tour.
Thank you so much! I will must certainly revistit the school. As a matter of fact, I will be meeting up with Fernando Acosta, director of student services this upcoming Friday. Wish me luck!

Hey guys
I was wondering if anyone got an interview call from them yet?
I have applied months ago and still nothing..if anyone could tell
Me if they got a call yet?

Hi,

I have a question, I don't don't see any address or any instruction to send the fee for supplemental application. Please let me know where to send it. Is it possible to send it online. Thanks.

The supplemental application can be sent in to administration's office! Just send it to the schools address and write ATTN: Administration

Hi guys, I'm currently finishing up my under grad with a science gpa of 3.2-3.3
My first choice is inter american. I'm stressing over admission every single day. I will be applying without a bachelors. I would like to know if anyone knows other people who have got in without a bachelors degree? Please share your story! I would love to know your overall and science gpa too please!!

My first choice is inter american. I'm stressing over admission every single day. I will be applying without a bachelors. I would like to know if anyone knows other people who have got in without a bachelors degree? Please share your story! I would love to know your overall and science gpa too please!!
I think it's unnecessary to post the same question everywhere. It would be better if you can make your own thread and ask all the questions at once.

I haven't applied yet. I was planing to do it next month. Is that super late? Do they already accept people earlier on in the year?

Also, how do I submit my official transcripts through optomcas?? Help please!

I haven't applied yet. I was planing to do it next month. Is that super late? Do they already accept people earlier on in the year?

Applications have been open on rolling admissions since August for every school, so it technically is late but if you feel you have high scores you should apply anyways because there are schools that will always be accepting since they need to fill spots or have spots available.

You have to get your registrar to send an official transcript to OptomCAS, then they will have to process it and verify grades, but you also have to input them yourself into your online app.

Just trying to warn people about how bad this school is. If I could go back in time, I would do anything to not come here, especially trying to get into any other school no matter how long it takes. If you need specifics please ask me! this school is a JOKE and coming here was a huge mistake.

Are you a first year student? I'd like to hear some specifics.

I actually am curious because I applied through OptomCAS in Feb and haven't even gotten a response from them yet. I e-mailed them about whether or not they've received my application but haven't gotten a response, and called three times but nobody answered each time.

Are you a first year student? I'd like to hear some specifics.

I actually am curious because I applied through OptomCAS in Feb and haven't even gotten a response from them yet. I e-mailed them about whether or not they've received my application but haven't gotten a response, and called three times but nobody answered each time.
They never email or call back and they are very well known for that.

It takes 2-4 weeks to process your transcript. Go to optomcas and download your transcript request form. Take the form to your school and attach that with your transcript request.

Hello all,
I am a second year and the Orientation Committee president, an organization designed to smoothly transition new students to the island. For anyone who hasn't heard anything from the school yet please, please be aware that the deadline for applications is sometime in June. So it is possible that you may not hear anything till the end of June at the latest. Regardless, message me with your full name and a way I can contact you and I will see where your application is in the process. If you have already been accepted an have not heard from the school please message me so that I can get you started with the paperwork!

We have one student in our class who does not have a bachelors degree. He did solely the science requirements in three years, applied to the school and was accepted. He is the only student, that I know of, who has done that.

Hey everyone! I am a first year here at IAUPR. I am also on the Orientation Committee here to help as much as I can. We have a student that does not have a bachelors degree as well. He took the requirements necessary and was accepted upon applying. Application processes do get hectic not only for applicants, but for schools as well. If you have any questions about contacting administration or about your application, please feel free to privately message me and I will do my best to get answers for you.

Hey everyone! I am a first year here at IAUPR. I am also on the Orientation Committee here to help as much as I can. We have a student that does not have a bachelors degree as well. He took the requirements necessary and was accepted upon applying. Application processes do get hectic not only for applicants, but for schools as well. If you have any questions about contacting administration or about your application, please feel free to privately message me and I will do my best to get answers for you.

"Application processes do get hectic not only for applicants, but for schools as well." Most of the students are not complaining about their own application process but how the school is handling the applications. It is pertly irresponsible how applications are bing handled at the school level. Not returning students emails or phone calls show that the school does not care at all!

It's nice of you that you are trying to help future students here, but ultimately the school needs to show some responsibility.

"Application processes do get hectic not only for applicants, but for schools as well." Most of the students are not complaining about their own application process but how the school is handling the applications. It is pertly irresponsible how applications are bing handled at the school level. Not returning students emails or phone calls show that the school does not care at all!

It's nice of you that you are trying to help future students here, but ultimately the school needs to show some responsibility.

I agree that admissions plays a huge part in your decision as an applicant, and schools should put their best foot forward.

I am sad that your admissions process at IAUPR isn't going as smoothly as mine did just a couple of years ago. I always received prompt replies and help from the admissions department - both by phone and E-mail. My admissions counselor was very polite and helpful. This was a key factor in making my decision. I really liked IAUPR, and I also spoke to an alumna who said if she were to go through optometry school all over again, that she would definitely pick IAUPR.

However, I worked with many optometrists who graduated from a specific school that is well known. They all recommended that I attend there. Yet, every time I called that school, no one would answer. I would leave voice mails for the admission staff simply asking for a call back. Eventually, I E-mailed the admissions department of that school because weeks had already passed without getting in contact with them. They replied to my E-mail saying that I should call them!!! When I was finally able to reach someone on the phone there, they were very rude to me for no reason. I was so fed up with them that I stopped my application there and did not finish their supplemental application. It confirmed IAUPR as my first choice.

It is a shame that you are having the complete opposite experience that I had. I do feel that IAUPR staff cares about the students, and they try to help everyone succeed.

Hey everybody,
Hello, I am a current student at IAUPR and there is no doubt that the school is undergoing some changes; changes for the better. No school is perfect, but the important thing is to learn from mistakes and make changes. The Orientation Committee was established 3-4 years ago at IAUPR to aid incoming students, in hopes to make their transition easier. From my understanding, not every school has this resource. The students at this school are extremely active, whether it be starting new committees and clubs that will help fellow classmates, or putting their time and effort into larger associations, such as AOSA. There are many representative that are national liaisons for different subgroups of the AOSA, and one that is on the board this year. The school does a very good job in encouraging the students to present new ideas. They are receptive to notions that will make IAUPR a better school, and there is always room for improvement, regardless of how good you are.

The general frustration is understood, but whiterabbit74's comments are beyond immature and non-professional. It is my utmost regret to say I go to the same school as this fellow, and I really hope things turn around for you.

I believe the orientation committee will take action to make as many positive changes as they can so new student do not feel ignored or disrespected.

As a piece of general advice, please do your research before finalizing your decision on any school. Speak to current students, or alumni that may be practicing in and around your area, and take EVERYTHING into account. It is where you will spending your next 4 stressful years. There is nothing worse than taking on a difficult course load, and absolutely hating the environment that you are in.

anyone hear from them yet?
Hi! I did get an email from them and a skype interview, but it took me around 2 weeks to hear back about the interview. In between all this I emailed a lot of people but was not able to hear back. I was wondering what my next step is after acceptance? I know I have to send in my health forms and my supplemental, but can I pay for that online? Also, do I get a package or more information about how to apply for housing/ financial aid or orientation? Please let me know because the administration is not emailing me back. Also I wanted to ask, I still have not sent in my microbio course yet. I am taking a 5 hour course class and I am having such a horrible time in there and I don't know whether I will be able to make a C in that class or not. Will my application be rejected if I make a D in a course work?

Hi! I did get an email from them and a skype interview, but it took me around 2 weeks to hear back about the interview. In between all this I emailed a lot of people but was not able to hear back. I was wondering what my next step is after acceptance? I know I have to send in my health forms and my supplemental, but can I pay for that online? Also, do I get a package or more information about how to apply for housing/ financial aid or orientation? Please let me know because the administration is not emailing me back. Also I wanted to ask, I still have not sent in my microbio course yet. I am taking a 5 hour course class and I am having such a horrible time in there and I don't know whether I will be able to make a C in that class or not. Will my application be rejected if I make a D in a course work?

If you don't mind, what is your overall and science gpa?? Oat score?

The general frustration is understood, but whiterabbit74's comments are beyond immature and non-professional. It is my utmost regret to say I go to the same school as this fellow, and I really hope things turn around for you.
I don't go to IAUPR, but if a user has had bad experiences, then he or she should be able to talk freely on this forum. What's the point of a discussion board if people don't feel safe in giving their honest opinions? Whiterabbit74 isn't the first person to talk negatively about this school on here, and discerning students might want to know more. Sure, his or her reply could have been more specific or constructive, but it seem like you're more angry that this poster spoke ill of your school. Rabbit's post wasn't personal, but yours was.

Once you have put in your deposit, you will be placed with an Orientation Committee leader and that person will contact you with all of the information we need from you. This will include housing application, health form, credit card form to pay for housing deposit, and various pictures. Your welcome letter will also be attached to that and within the next month or two, you will be receiving your package with more details. I apologize for the miscommunication between the school and students, we were told phones have not been working and they have just been fixed. As far as the course, I will not be able to honestly give you an answer to that since I am not a part of administration, but feel free to contact me privately and I can talk to administration to find what the best way you can get in touch with them would be and that way you can get a better idea of where you would stand.

If you don't mind, what is your overall and science gpa?? Oat score?
Tbh I did horrible in school and had a 3.3 gpa. But my oats were pretty okay, I had a 320. A friend last year who had the same gpa and a 300 was accepted too

Last edited:
Can someone please start a Facebook page for the entering class of 2015 so we will be able to meet new people and find possible roommates?

Can someone please start a Facebook page for the entering class of 2015 so we will be able to meet new people and find possible roommates?

There is a facebook page for the entering class which your OC will send you the link to once deposit is put in!

T
Tbh I did horrible in school and had a 3.3 gpa. But my oats were pretty okay, I had a 320. A friend last year who had the same gpa and a 300 was accepted too[/QUOTE

Thank you! Was that just for science or overall?

Has anyone recently interview and heard back from the school? I had my interview last week and was told I would know by the end of the week but haven't receive any news. thanks

Has anyone recently interview and heard back from the school? I had my interview last week and was told I would know by the end of the week but haven't receive any news. thanks

I had my interview back in March. They also told me that they will contact me a few days after my interview, but it turns out they did not contact me back via email, but sent me a letter by mail a week later. Hope this helps.

kevin

I had my interview back in March. They also told me that they will contact me a few days after my interview, but it turns out they did not contact me back via email, but sent me a letter by mail a week later. Hope this helps.

kevin

Thanks!!

I just received an interview email via skype scheduled for this Thursday (05/14/15). I m wondering if anyone been through it could help me prepare for it. The email didnt have instructions or information of how to contact once I sign on skype. I already replied that I accept the interview. Will the school email me the instructions before my interview day and time????

kevin
How was your interview? By skype? I got my invitation for the interview. But havent heard from them on how and who to skype with yet. And my interview will be in one more day

I just received an interview email via skype scheduled for this Thursday (05/14/15). I m wondering if anyone been through it could help me prepare for it. The email didnt have instructions or information of how to contact once I sign on skype. I already replied that I accept the interview. Will the school email me the instructions before my interview day and time????

I was told that their Skype is iauoptometry so I sent a request the day b4. On the day of the interview I got a msg 15 mins b4 the scheduled time that I will get a call in 15 mins. hth