ICO vs WesternU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeball4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm having trouble deciding between ICO and WesternU. I really love both schools and I've had a great time with faculty. I'd really like some input with which to choose, please help!

ICO
-Quarter System (Intense and fast)
-Great board rates
-Chicago

Western
-Semester System
-Pamona (I believe it's closer to the safer area but i'm not sure)
-Prepares students for boards by reinforcing material/topics in each class
-Interdisciplinary

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your acceptances! 🎉

Tuition tends to be the deal breaker with any school so it’s definitely good to calculate tuition + living expenses.

Which one do you see yourself living in for the next couple of years? Cali & Chicago are so different! It’d be nice if you had a chance to tour both & its surrounding areas. If not, you can see the campus/student life on their websites.

Was undergrad sem/quarter system for you? That plays a big factor too because you already know what system works best for you.

Aside from academics, are there any organizations that ICO & WUCO offer that will help benefit your optometry/personal journey?

Also, may I ask how your WUCO interview went? Did you go in person or virtual? & what types of questions did they ask. Thanks! I have mine soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your acceptances! 🎉
Also, may I ask how your WUCO interview went? Did you go in person or virtual? & what types of questions did they ask. Thanks! I have mine soon.
Thank you!! Thank you for the response too haha! WUCO was, in my opinion, pretty scary just because it was two people throwing questions at me. They were nice but definitely feel a lot of intimidation whereas the ICO's interview was really chill. It was virtual. In regards to the questions, I believe they asked me why WUCO, tell me about yourself, strength and weaknesses, what makes me different etc. Good luck on your interview, you're gonna ace it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck choosing!! I didn’t give much feedback but hopefully my questions can give you some insight on where you want to be the next few years

& thank you for responding too 😄

Hey guys! I'm having trouble deciding between ICO and WesternU. I really love both schools and I've had a great time with faculty. I'd really like some input with which to choose, please help!

ICO
-Quarter System (Intense and fast)
-Great board rates
-Chicago

Western
-Semester System
-Pamona (I believe it's closer to the safer area but i'm not sure)
-Prepares students for boards by reinforcing material/topics in each class
-Interdisciplinary
I would probably pick ICO because it’s more established, but tuition plays a role too. What did you think of the clinical education at each school?