ICU rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheldor1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is working 69.5 hrs/week too much for an ICU rotation at a non-tertiary hospital?

What are other people's hours / week for ICU rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked 6days on 2 days off and 1 learn day (6 hours) per every 8 days. So about 82 hours every 8 days and a total of about 307 hours for the month. Sometimes the days can be longer or shorter depending on sign out but thats about right

Members don't see this ad :)
Is working 69.5 hrs/week too much for an ICU rotation at a non-tertiary hospital?

What are other people's hours / week for ICU rotation?

All my NICU, PICU, and ward months have been 6 12 hour shifts a week plus half an hour of turnover at the end of the shift, for a total of 75 hours a week. I'm not sure what you mean by 'too much'. Do you mean is it ideal for learning? Then yes its probably too much. Do you mean, is it abnormal? Then no, not too much. If anything 70 hours a week is light for an ICU rotation.

Actually I worked 67.5 hours/week averaged over 4 weeks instead of 69.5 hrs/week.

thanks guys! Feel better that this is pretty light for ICU.

Of course more than 70 hours/week were officially logged due to political reasons.

ive been working 62-70 hours a week in teh CCU. we have a mix of short call (7-5), long call (7-8), and night shifts (8-10).

ive been working 62-70 hours a week in teh CCU. we have a mix of short call (7-5), long call (7-8), and night shifts (8-10).

Our schedule is pretty much the same except you can start at 6AM some days depending how busy it is. 7 long call days, 7 night shifts, 8 short call (non-admitting). 22 shifts over 28 days isn't bad, but it's technically only 4 days off as the nights overlap the other 2 "off" days. It'll work out to 70hrs/wk I'm sure.

For some reason on wards last month I was working 75hrs/wk. Mainly because I had to do coverage til sign-out at 7PM + I think I worked 25 of 29 days instead of 24 on 4 off. How ICU is turning out to be more chill is beyond me. :/

62-70 hours in the ICU? F@#$. I just worked 85 hours this past week on the wards. And I'm in a small community hospital, not some academic center. I'd take 65 hours in the ICU any day.

I did 77.5 this past week, 82.5 last week. Absolute scutfest minimal to no teaching. 7 more days...ugh