id at uva

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremsfdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on uva's id program. i know they're strong in other internal medicine specialties such as endocrinology, but how about infectious diseases?

also, what are the big id schools? i'm guessing emory, harvard, ucsf, hopkins....but what about the unknowns with strong programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year student at UVA and can vouch that the ID program here is really good. I've never seen official rankings for ID, but can tell you that around here it's regarded as one of uva's top medicine departments (along with endocrine), and the faculty love to teach.

From your username, it seems that you may be interested in international health. My impression is that it's one of the top trop med ID programs in the US. Though I am not from UVa, I know that it has amazing international collaborations - namely in Brazil (for >25 years) and Bangladesh. Their fellows seem to like the fellowship curriculum, which starts with a year of research before going to clinical stuff. Dick Guerrant, who heads up their Center for Global Health, has amazing energy in advocacy for international health issues. Their strong trop med faculty (Guerrant, Petri, Pearson) is complemented by well-known faculty in other fields such as Mandell, Scheld, Hayden. Also, they have quite an international crowd among their research fellows.

To answer your second question, Cornell has a great international ID program as well.

I know it has traditionally been one of the top medical institutions, but I would very careful when considering Emory for a residency. I have spoken to many patients who had been recieving long-term care at that hospital (ie - post transplant patients) and they are fed up with having all of their dopctors leaving secondary to the administration cutting salaries.