Ideas for a Psychology Club?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just elected president of my college Psychology Club. Any ideas of some events/ideas we can do? :)

Members don't see this ad.

One that always seemed to garner a fair amount of interest waaay back when I was in undergrad was a grad school Q&A session. You could invite professors and/or current graduate students and focus on things like the grad school experience itself, the grad school application process, professional options and outcomes for grad degrees in psych, etc.

Here's some ideas I got off the internet earlier this year:

PSYCHOLOGY CLUB IDEAS
1. Start a transactional analysis group. Read Games People Play by Eric Berne and see if you can spot when psychological games are indulged in.
2. Watch movies on psychological disorders.
3. Experimenting.
4. Handout surveys once a month (usually, in my social sciences classes we do a lot of surveys so that might be a fun idea)
* use fun and easy questions
* give out candies to people who complete each question properly
* ex. phobia, suicide, the media, homosexuality etc.
5. Make interesting posters using the results you got from your survey.
6. Inform people about theorists, psychologists, sociologists, anthropologists in FUN way, like make some creative posters about them that will catch people's attention.
7. Put up a bunch of frames of famous people like Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud, Soren Kierkegaard, etc. practice some of the famous experiments these people have done.
8. Look up some ways on how to 'condition people' like what Pavlov did to his dog? Look it up.
9. Psychology is all about mental processes and the basically, the brain right? What you can do is buy a figure of a brain, and have people assemble it as fast as they can as they can for a game.
10. Create a secret box in which people can anonymously ask you if they have a psychological disorder and try to answer them back by emailing one another.
11. During lunch, be like peer mediators and help people out with problems by talking to them about it.
12. Have before and after school homework help sessions about psychology or other social science classes.
13. Get people involved as much as possible!!
14. Have debates too! About controversial issues like genetic engineering, etc.
15. Just think of what you usually do in your own psychology class that you think is fun, and turn it into something others will like.
16. Maybe buy books on listening, and body language. Then have the student just watch other students as they pass them in the hallways, or while they are talking to another person. Analyze what they are really saying. Or pick a topic, like "Anxiety", have the students watch other students, and have them pick out the student that they think have anxiety, and why they think they have it, etc. Then pick depression, then pick bi-polar, then pick phobias, then pick abused kids, then pick emotionally intelligence, then pick Avoidance Behavior Disorder, then OCD, then pick the kid that makes everyone laugh all the time; is he really happy, or just hiding his feelings, etc.
17. Call for a meeting of the all the member of the Governing body of the club, including President, Secretary, Treasurer and other members and have a brain storming session to come to a wise conclusion about these ideas.
18. Take some type of personality test that is not so under lock and key (in that only certain people get to take a look at it). Maybe something like the Big 5.
19. Explore the different career directions psychology can take: I/O, Forensics, Psychologist, etc.
20. IQ testing, personality surveys, practice therapy techniques (active listening), overcome phobias, field trips, hypnosis, dream analysis.
21. Use Wikipedia to diagnose your teachers with obscure mental illnesses.
22. Everyone submit their D.O.B. - exchange them - like a June birth would trade with a December, each member then would research the astrological sign of that member. The object of this activity is to point to the "traits" that are similar in the members sign to the actual person. It is so much fun, but most of all, your group will be absolutely AMAZED at the results! Believe me when I tell you that there is a definite correlation to the two and the accuracy of the profiles will prove it to your group.
23. Social experiments are always fun. Have people do various things in public and watch how people react. Then use your psychology background to explain their behavior. A dropped wallet (with a single dollar in it) is always good.
24. You can even bring in various pieces of entertainment and use psychology to explore various nuances within it. Why do magazines use large lettering, is it only because it's easier to read? What words are highlighted? Do certain magazines or movies stress different values that may or may not reflect certain accepted conditions within that group? Who is or isn't attracted to a certain piece of entertainment and why? Rorschach ink blots (and their ability to determine personality traits and/or deviances) can be found in just about anything. Could even do a discussion "Isn't everything a Rorschach test?"
25. colorquiz.com
26. Get local psychologists to guest speak
27. Career evaluations
28. Myers-Briggs tests
29. Rorschach Test
30. A fun place to start might be the MindFrames personality test, which is free online. It's the only personality test I know of that's based 100% on current research in cognitive neuroscience. http://www.initforlife.com/home/tm.asp

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user