Ideas for class activity on psychoanalytic theory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychanator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I need some help - I'll be teaching several guest lectures at the graduate and undergraduate level on psychoanalytic theory (both early stages of the field, ie. Freud, and more contemporary theories as well). Does anyone have any ideas for class activities, demonstrations, etc. that would be engaging for the class? These classes will be 2-3 hours long and I'd like it to be interactive.

Thanks ya'll!
psychanator

Members don't see this ad.

You might be asking for trouble with that question on this board. First, kudos to you on trying to buck the trend on psychoanalytic/psychodynamic theory presentations. What I think would be interesting as a student would to maybe follow a single case and see how different theories might work with/conceptualize that same case?

Reactions: 1 user
There are lots of films/TV shows that you could screen clips from - anything from In Treatment to The Sopranos, to demonstrate theoretical concepts and how they play out in an actual therapy. PM me if you want to discuss ideas.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about giving three different students the role of the Ego, Super Ego, and Id, telling them what their "duty" is, and then reading scenarios that they have to "solve" together?

Reactions: 4 users
In my masters in psychoanalysis what we used to do is read a case and try to come up with all the levels of interpretations from different psychoanalytic perspectives (Klein, Lacan, Freud, etc) we would also read about famous people or artists or watch movies (Spider, The Wall, Machstick Men) and also try to interpret as if they were our patients.

What I think would be interesting as a student would to maybe follow a single case and see how different theories might work with/conceptualize that same case?

This is a great idea! OP, if you give an overview of dynamics from the historical perspective, you can cover all the basic trains of analytic thought - starting with Freud and his colleagues: Jung, Breuer, Ferenczi; and moving to "evolving" traditions from the 1940s tripartite split of the British Psychoanalytic Society, which gave way to Freudians, Kleinians, and independents, like Winnicott and Blowby. You can cover: ego-psychology, object relations, and interpersonal-theories all in one swoop!

What about giving three different students the role of the Ego, Super Ego, and Id, telling them what their "duty" is, and then reading scenarios that they have to "solve" together?

Ahh, yes, Cara. But contemporary psychodynamics is so much more than the ego, superego and id. It does sound like a fun task though for groups of three! Then ask several groups to present their findings to the class: solutions, difficulties, strengths/agreements, etc. OP, if you do this make sure you also highlight some key contemporary theorists who are changing the field of psychodynamics, as we know it, like Kernberg, Fonagy & Target, Schore, Bromberg, etc.

In my masters in psychoanalysis what we used to do is read a case and try to come up with all the levels of interpretations from different psychoanalytic perspectives (Klein, Lacan, Freud, etc) we would also read about famous people or artists or watch movies (Spider, The Wall, Machstick Men) and also try to interpret as if they were our patients.

Or you could show short movie clips that exemplify these characters that we all know and love, like Spiderman, Darth Vader (who is borderline and very dissociative), Melman the giraffe from Madagascar, etc.

OP, I'd end your tutorial with some useful evidence-based attachment or psychotherapy research, perhaps something on the therapeutic alliance or ruptures (like Safran & Muran's classic...and more recent...work).

Let us know what you end up doing, psychanator! Good luck!:luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
take common events and have each group dissect the interplay of defense mechanisms between the social conventions of these roles. Then discuss the social mores as evidence of society as ego.

Example: Woman walks onto a train. Man gives up his seat. Why?

cause he hates his mom...

My Psych of Personality class in undergrad was basically "Freud 101" (pretty disappointing, but that's a different story). It's been over 4 years and there are 2 things the professor did that I still remember vividly:

- Attempted hypnosis on the entire class in order to retrieve first memory ever formed (lights turned down, everyone sitting comfortably with eyes closed while he guided us) - some students who claimed successful hypnosis then shared their "first memories" which he went on to say were actually false memories. I forget the explanation behind this, so I guess I don't remember it THAT vividly.

- Asked students willing to share a recent dream which he then analyzed. This one was especially interesting. One girl described a complicated dream about her climbing a mountain while her sister flew over, it was a long one, I forget the specifics. The prof interpreted it as the girl missing her sister due to a recent strain in their relationship, causing the student to burst out in tears! A pretty dramatic response, but certainly memorable for everyone in the room.

Hope this helps, good luck :)

Although, perhaps a more parsimonious explanation is in order? Such as, I was raised in the south to be a proper gentleman. :rolleyes:

Seriously, who lets a girl just stand around while you sit comfy on your ass?! Bunch of heathens in this town...

Last edited:
Although, perhaps a more parsimonious explanation is in order? Such as, I was raised in the south to be a proper gentleman. :rolleyes:

Seriously, who lets a check just stand around while you sit comfy on your ass?! Bunch of heathens in this town...
I have a bad back, she can stand.

I have a bad back, she can stand.

Make sure to lift things in a jerking and twisting motion only then. This should help...

Members don't see this ad :)
erg, that convention developed somehow based upon some well held beliefs which were a compromise between desire and restraint.

Perhaps. But, at the moment, I (and I'm sure most others) continue the tradition because it was simply the way I was raised (which I guess doesn't help my case since someone will jsut tell me its all "unconcious"). Proper manners doesn't always need the dynamic treatment, IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Those were some great suggestions. This is part of standard modules in required courses, so I want to find a way to make the class more than just a "let's-review-the-textbook" experience. I'll definitely keep these in mind of the next few weeks :)

I feel comfortable enough that if I teach Intro of Developmental Psych again I will most likely almost completely leave out Freud's Psychoanalytic theory. Or maybe just mention it in passing, sort of like bloodletting was a thing until people wised up.

...almost completely leave out... sort of like bloodletting was a thing until people wised up.

Almost completely leave out, but not completely...Freud's theories are building blocks from which modern theories have converged and diverged. Folks, never forget Aaron Beck was rejected from an analytic institute when he decided to create CBT. (My former supervisor was Aaron Beck's analytic training case, so I have first-hand knowledge of this fact.)

...And blood transfusions (100% necessary in some medical cases) are modern day bloodletting, n'est pas?

These are science's natural progressions.

Last edited:
I feel comfortable enough that if I teach Intro of Developmental Psych again I will most likely almost completely leave out Freud's Psychoanalytic theory. Or maybe just mention it in passing, sort of like bloodletting was a thing until people wised up.

I dunno, talking about the psychosexual stages really gets the students' attention at least.

Ugh don't get me started on Descartes. That ontological argument, what a piece or garbage...

So combative...I bet you're good at Chess. I am.

Friends, at the base of all thought is philosophy... my surface comeback merely refers to Descartes' cogito ergo sum...integrated with mindfulness. :cool:

Last edited:
CheetahGirl, I appreciate your appreciation for psychoanalytic history, and it seems, contemporary psychoanalytic approches. That being said, regarding this Descartes business, have you read Stolorow, Atwood, Orange, etc? Just curious. I find their philosophical position much more tenable. In fact, Storlorow at least, has come to call his approach "post-cartesian psychoanalysis".

CheetahGirl, I appreciate your appreciation for psychoanalytic history, and it seems, contemporary psychoanalytic approches. That being said, regarding this Descartes business, have you read Stolorow, Atwood, Orange, etc? Just curious. I find their philosophical position much more tenable. In fact, Storlorow at least, has come to call his approach "post-cartesian psychoanalysis".

agreed! the phenomenological-hermeneutic approach of contemporary intersubjective theory is really wonderful. i'd recommend "structures of subjectivity" as a good starting point. it is a shame that more students today don't get exposed to contemporary psychoanalysis because their first exposure to analytic thinking is often a cliché and a huge turn off–and so far from the way it is conceptualized and practiced today.

Reactions: 1 users