If applying to integrated plastics, should you apply to backups?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeyesdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you'll be fine as long as you get good letters on your aways and you're not annoying. Your grades are up to par then it'll be up to you on how you carry yourself during interviews. If you're normal I'm sure you'll find a spot where you fit in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have a game plan for if you don't match. One of the major mistakes that we see every year (on the faculty side) is students who have a similar profile to you, but don't plan ahead for the "what if" which is a substantial risk.

1. A prelim surgery year does not substantially help your application.
2. If you choose to go into a lab, plan on two years. One year probably won't cut it.
3. Applying to categorical general surgery is probably the "best" option as a back up, but you need to be prepared to go all the way through.

Hey all, I'm hoping for some advice on this topic. I'd like to do plastics, I have particular interest in cutaneous oncology, burns, and limb reattachment--but who knows what I'll end up in. My application is strong, but it has one glaring weakness:

Step1 257
Will take Step2s late 3rd year
Year 3 grades unknown because of our unique curriculum--we get them/Shelves at the end of the year but so far I've received good feedback
Research: Abstract published with a few papers currently submitted, still working on multiple projects
10 poster presentations
Weakness: I go to one of the new MD that does not have a reputation

I've decided I have 3 options for my approach to away rotations

1. Go all in for plastics with a back up in gen surg or something else that is more guaranteed
-plastics will be tough to get
-I won't be happy with the back up

2. Go all in for ENT which I also love, but definitely prefer plastics, with gensurg/other back up
-Will be happy but ENT but may always regret not "going for" plastics
-ENT is certainly not guaranteed, but compared to plastics, more likely

3. Try for Plastics with ENT "backup"
-2 aways in plastics, 2 aways in ENT -- will be brutal
-Dangerous to go half in on both of these very competitive specialties

I would appreciate any advice. As a new school that has graduated a single class, I don't have many to compare my situation to or ask for advice. Thanks everyone and good luck with your paths!

ENT is pretty competitive also, go all in for plastics and have aways in places that will get you good letters. Dunno about using ENT as a "back-up". Think you'd have better luck just going for PRS and maybe interviewing at a couple gen surg programs as "back-up". No one has a crystal ball to give you the right answer but looks like you have the credentials to match as long as you interview like a normal sociable person.

Reactions: 1 user