If I don't get into medical school, will those who wrote me letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_fella

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
have to write them again when I reapply, or will AMCAS allow me to "reuse" them? This is probably a stupid question, but I can't find the answer.

Members don't see this ad.

You should have used your university's letter service or interfolio bro

I resent mine.

I wasn't aware that there is one until very recently. The premedical advising center at my school is worse than useless, so I stopped going. The "advisor" answered every question I asked him with, "That's your responsibility to figure out." They sent me a survey about my experience with him, and I said he was useless and being paid to sit on his ass. I recommended he be fired. Unfortunately, he's still "working" there. I'm also technically no longer a student there, so Idk if I'd be allowed to use the letter service.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't aware that there is one until very recently. The premedical advising center at my school is worse than useless, so I stopped going. The "advisor" answered every question I asked him with, "That's your responsibility to figure out." They sent me a survey about my experience with him, and I said he was useless and being paid to sit on his ass. I recommended he be fired. Unfortunately, he's still "working" there. I'm also technically no longer a student there, so Idk if I'd be allowed to use the letter service.

Sorry to hear that. I suggest you use interfolio and just keep renewing the service it until you get into medical school.

EDIT: On second thought, you may still be able to use the letter service. I am not taking classes this year either and have used my university's letter service recently. I think you may still have access to yours, just check and see.

I just checked and the director of the Pre-Professional Advising Center told me that as an alum, I am allowed to use it. Though they require that you have attended a workshop and submit everything by the deadline, which was June 2nd. I have never attended one of their workshops and it's clearly past the deadline. I told her this, and am awaiting a response. Interfolio costs money (or am I thinking of another service?) and I absolutely refuse to pay for that. It's ridiculous enough that schools have application fees and that the MCAT costs so much. Someone's getting rich from this and it ain't me.

I just checked and the director of the Pre-Professional Advising Center told me that as an alum, I am allowed to use it. Though they require that you have attended a workshop and submit everything by the deadline, which was June 2nd. I have never attended one of their workshops and it's clearly past the deadline. I told her this, and am awaiting a response. Interfolio costs money (or am I thinking of another service?) and I absolutely refuse to pay for that. It's ridiculous enough that schools have application fees and that the MCAT costs so much. Someone's getting rich from this and it ain't me.

Yes they charge a fee per year. There are few schools that only want electronic LORs (I can only think of one school on DO side not sure on MD side) and thus don't consider letters directly from a letter service.

Sad part about the process is that it is a seller's market and we have no choice but to pay what they ask for.

If you can't use your schools letter service and do not want to pay for Interfolio, then your best bet is to ask your letter writers to keep a copy on file for future use. I've actually done the latter without issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Spydra, I just asked one of my recommenders to do that. He has yet to get back to me. Haha.

Medical schools say they want the "disadvantaged" students to have the opportunity to go to medical school, but then they place every obstacle they can in our way. There's a ridiculous fee to take the MCAT. Even when it's reduced to $100, that's about a week's pay for me. My family's income is significantly below the FPL. And the material to study for the MCAT (which they're constantly changing) is expensive, then each school has an application fee and ACOMAS has a separate application fee. I'm aware ACOMAS will waive it, but they act as though there are only a limited number of waivers available. That's because they decided there should only be that many available. I'm starting to think it's all a money-making scheme.