If I have to re-apply next cycle..please advise..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TQT6985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I have a post about whether or not I should retake my DAT and every one in that thread suggested me not to re-take. And so, here is my questions...if I don't get in this cycle (so far still no interview) I would like to sign up to take some classes in the Spring to make myself look busy to adcom (around January), since I've already obtained my master, does any know how this will work, would the grade still be counted toward my GPA and am I considered post-bac of post-bac (lol..)? I'm really wondered how that will work. Thank you for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it's a double post bacc? Not sure; I think it would technically count. I know you're really worried; keep waiting it out. I think you proved that you have an upwards trend already and you seem like a good applicant. The only suggestion I'd have is that you should apply to more schools next time

I guess it's a double post bacc? Not sure; I think it would technically count. I know you're really worried; keep waiting it out. I think you proved that you have an upwards trend already and you seem like a good applicant. The only suggestion I'd have is that you should apply to more schools next time

Thank you. If I have to next cycle, I will sure apply to more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

So I have a post about whether or not I should retake my DAT and every one in that thread suggested me not to re-take. And so, here is my questions...if I don't get in this cycle (so far still no interview) I would like to sign up to take some classes in the Spring to make myself look busy to adcom (around January), since I've already obtained my master, does any know how this will work, would the grade still be counted toward my GPA and am I considered post-bac of post-bac (lol..)? I'm really wondered how that will work. Thank you for any help.

I'm pretty sure everything you took will count toward your GPA calculation.

Don't take classes to "look busy". You shouldn't need to take any more classes after the Master's. Try getting a dental related job.

Don't take classes to "look busy". You shouldn't need to take any more classes after the Master's. Try getting a dental related job.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. Thank you!

One of the admissions counselors from one of the schools I was rejected to told me that they have PhD and MD applying (students and actual graduates switching careers). @TQT6985, what are your stats? We sound alike. I completed a Masters with thesis and have a significant upward trend with lots of research, publications, volunteering, EC, the whole kit n' caboodle. Anyway, they advised I could apply to PhD classes and apply to dental again so that (1) more competitive than others and (2) the money would be used towards something should all else fail. You could retake the DAT but 25+ doesn't guarantee anything as you've seen on SDN as well and you also risk doing worse than before since each exam is a different set of questions.

One of the admissions counselors from one of the schools I was rejected to told me that they have PhD and MD applying (students and actual graduates switching careers). @TQT6985, what are your stats? We sound alike. I completed a Masters with thesis and have a significant upward trend with lots of research, publications, volunteering, EC, the whole kit n' caboodle. Anyway, they advised I could apply to PhD classes and apply to dental again so that (1) more competitive than others and (2) the money would be used towards something should all else fail. You could retake the DAT but 25+ doesn't guarantee anything as you've seen on SDN as well and you also risk doing worse than before since each exam is a different set of questions.

I wish I had a 25 on DAT.lol...My oGPA is 3.53 with the grad GPA and my DAT is 20AA/20TS/22PAT. 150 shadowing hours, 120 volunteers, 2 years summer research and research project for my master. I was thinking about PhD. The only problem is that my home town school only offer to the master degree, so I'll have to see..

Just because some applicants applying to a school have a previous doctorate doesn't mean that you are expected to have one as well. The vast majority of people entering dental school don't even have a Master's.

Your additional degree/GPA should have proven that you are academically competent. Look deeper into your application. If your goal is dental school, and you truly want it, you'll find a way there. Shelling out cash and time on a PhD program isn't the answer.

Last edited:
I dont think so you need to take another class to make yourself busy.. its really a waste of money just wait the right time =)

Just because some applicants applying to a school have a previous doctorate doesn't mean that you are expected to have one as well. The vast majority of people entering dental school don't even have a Master's.

Your additional degree/GPA should have proven that you are academically competent. Look deeper into your application. If your goal is dental school, and you truly want it, you'll find a way there. Shelling out cash and time on a PhD program isn't the answer.

Well when an adcom tells you that, it doesn't necessarily mean they are right or wrong. So I agree with you there. Not everyone needs a doctorate to apply and not everyone needs a masters to get a doctorate either. Usually, people go from BS to MS to DMD/DDS and that's why you see their title as Dr. Schmidt, DMD, MS.

But sitting around twiddling your thumbs isn't the answer either. I know someone that went and got a second Masters to get into their dream school so people have to make sacrifices for what they want. I think everyone agrees that taking classes that doesn't go towards anything is a waste.