If I know how to do almost every question from the chapt. problems...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungProdigy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I know how to do the questions at the end of every chapter, for any subject, can I expect to do really good on the MCAT? I understand that the MCAT is mor ethan just regurgitating information, but doing problems isn't exactly regurgitating...

Just want some opinions. TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what types of questions you're doing.

End of chapter problems are usually content review, so being able to do them very well demonstrates a closing of the knowledge gap. That's good, because while the MCAT is certainly a 'thinking' exam, you do need to know a lot of content to be able to apply it. But keep in mind that the MCAT is almost all passages, so you'll be given passages about things you've often never heard of, and then you have to relate it back to certain topics, or realize that they are talking about something that you know, but presenting it in a different context.

Therefore, having a solid knowledge base is crucial; but keep in mind, that if you aren't able to draw conclusions, parallels, digest what's important in a passage, simplify the problems, and do this all quickly and somewhat accurately, then you'll have a bad day. Plenty of people "know" the bare bones, rote memorization formulas, concepts, and key facts. But you have to meet the MCAT halfway (hell, all the way), and apply it in new situations.

So to answer your question: not necessarily.

If your practice questions correspond to a passage, and you can do them timed, then obviously that's a good thing. But nobody knows how you'll do on the MCAT. Of course it's good to know things. That doesn't mean you'll be a rockstar at it during an exam when shown information in a new context.

Reactions: 1 user
If I know how to do the questions at the end of every chapter, for any subject, can I expect to do really good on the MCAT? I understand that the MCAT is mor ethan just regurgitating information, but doing problems isn't exactly regurgitating...

I don't think there's a strong correlation. A lot of people have good grades and do poorly on the MCAT. There's too many other factors to say if you'll do well...Do practice exams and you'll know for sure.

Take some practiced exams, then let us know.

Reactions: 1 users