If I retake MCAT in August, can I hold my scores so I can choose whether to release?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could I choose not to release my August scores until I see them? That way, I'd only release if I do much better? It would also take pressure off...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you are currently applying for med schools and choose to withhold your scores, then you will be further delayed. From my understanding, August scores are not released until mid-October. If you choose to hold your scores, you will have to call and have them released and then they would be forwarded to your schools (late-October to early November.)

However, if you do not hold your scores, they will be sent to the schools when they are sent to you.

I took the MCAT and have a 7, 13, 12. I'm going to talk to my premed advisor to get advice, but I'm thinking if I hold my scores, then I have nothing to lose. Would this be good, do you think? Because I might be able to get into my top choice schools with the current scores (as long as adcomms look past the blemish). But if I could pull it up, I'd be in really great shape...so I'd like to take it again without any pressure, holding scores until I'm sure I've improved. Do you think this would be okay? Would an extra week or two make a huge difference?

And I wouldn't want to hold up my whole app by retaking the test. So, I'd submit AMCAS and go through the process as normal, but then choose to take the MCAT to try to raise that score. Would the schools have already thrown out my app by October if they see that 7?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Premed2003:
•Do you think this would be okay? Would an extra week or two make a huge difference?

And I wouldn't want to hold up my whole app by retaking the test. So, I'd submit AMCAS and go through the process as normal, but then choose to take the MCAT to try to raise that score. Would the schools have already thrown out my app by October if they see that 7?

•••••I know that when you complete the AMCAS, they ask you how many MCATs you've taken since April 2000 (it was April 1999 last year.) They also ask if you are planning on taking the August 2002 MCAT.

You could possibly "play dumb" and check that you don't intend on taking the August MCAT, apply, and take it. Then, if you do well and release your scores, you can send them to schools. However, as I told another applicant, I'd rather not be sent secondaries and/or not interviewed based on my credentials than being dishonest.

As for a week or two mattering too much, you have to realize that by October schools are probably finishing up with EDP applicants and starting to review regular applicants. So, in the big picture it may not hurt you by one or two weeks, but you also don't want to be put in the bottom of the pile as you wait.

premed2003,
i feel the same way you do. i think my scores MAY be good enough to get into my state school, but it's hard to tell. i just don't want to delay the review of my application because i'm taking the aug. mcat...especially when i may not even have to go through that horrible experience again.!!!
does this happen a lot in the premed world and are there any hidden dangers in this???
thanks for any help!
streetdoc

premed2003,
i feel the same way you do. i think my scores MAY be good enough to get into my state school, but it's hard to tell. i just don't want to delay the review of my application because i'm taking the aug. mcat...especially when i may not even have to go through that horrible experience again.!!!
does this happen a lot in the premed world and are there any hidden dangers in this???
thanks for any help!
streetdoc

premed 2003,
your scores are awesome! what is your gpa? if you've got a high gpa, you do not need to retake!

I agree with what everyone else says. You gotta release your scores if you take the August MCAT, or else you will be delayed.

Are you serious? I don't need to retake to get into top schools? I would be sooo happy.

I'm still submitting now, but then would possibly (hopefully not have to though) retake in August YUCK. So, I'm going through the app cycle as normal, but then might decide to do the August MCAT.

I strongly disagree. The scores you posted of 12 and 13 are very strong, however if you got that 7 in verbal this will very likely prevent you from getting into your top choices. It will however get you into second or third tier schools. The verbal section is probably weighted the most out of all three sections cause it shows how critically you think and your reading comprehension which is vital when you are going through masses of information in med school. Anytime a score is not better than the average, schools will question your ability. I have a few friends that have scored 14s on the sciences while scored only 7 or 8 on the verbal and this resulted in many of them getting into lower tier schools. If you are shooting for the top you will have to do better on the verbal.