If I submit my app on the first day, is it okay to take the MCAT on May 30th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaizera12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yep! I sent in my primary app early July (don't do what I did) and took the MCAT 2 weeks later. It takes around a month to 8 weeks to process your application before the flood of secondaries so you should be fine if you take the MCAT early.

Some people are telling me I will still be really early as long as I submit my app on the first day and I get to know my score by first week of July. Is this true?

If you submit your application the first day, you will be verified very quickly, before your have your MCAT score back. Because of this, you probably won't know exactly which schools to apply to. Add one (people suggest your state school if you have one) so that you can submit it, and then add more once you get your scores back.
With a May 30th test day, you'll find out end of June/beginning of July. AMCAS doesn't begin to release information until the end of June. Your app will be verified without your score, and sent to schools on the release date (if it is verified by then), so there will only be a few days or a week before your score is updated. If you get your secondaries and turn them around in a reasonable time frame, you'll still be early and have everything set.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what if I submit on the first day but take an August 7 (I think that was the date) MCAT?

As long as you apply by early July at the latest, I think you are fine. To the person who took the exam in August, I doubt your application will be read before you have a MCAT score, which will put you at a huge disadvantage. I would apply next cycle.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what if I submit on the first day but take an August 7 (I think that was the date) MCAT?

Medical schools will not be able to look at your application, regardless of completion until after your MCAT scores are in (in this case, after September 7). I wouldn't consider that early, as people already begin interviewing in the beginning of September. Also, you won't know your score until late in the game and if you choose to apply to a few schools based on your score, you would have to wait. And then wait for schools to process your application. And then submit secondaries, and wait for schools to process those.

You would probably be fine, but you would lose some advantage of early submission (early consideration, earlier interviews).

That being said, I know someone who took her MCAT around August 15 and got into her state school.

Oh alright, thanks for the replies :)

Also, since I'm a Canadian applicant, I don't think I have a state school :p so would that put me at an even greater disadvantage?