If my school is true P/F, is it ok if I pass but do marginally worse than my class average?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2failornot2fail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess the neuroticism never goes away lol. I'm over 3 months into my program, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I average about 85% on tests and quizzes, while the class tends to average a little higher (88-90%). I'm still well within a standard deviation. I'm not joking when I ask, is it okay if I just try to pass (at least 75%) if my school is unraked PF? I find the material so much more enjoyable this way. If I don't know a fact, I freak out because it could mean a patient's life, not because of a grade. I feel a lot more motivated to review my mistakes this way, since I'm not burning out in the studying period. However, I don't want to justify laziness.

Members don't see this ad.

If it doesn't impact AOA, you aren't ranked, and there is only P/F then there is literally no way anyone would ever know. Not to mention that preclinical performance doesn't matter anyway (besides potentially AOA). Sit back, relax, and enjoy your life.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the above, as long as whatever effort you’re putting in is enough for you to pass, you’re good. If you start having guilt or cognitive dissonance over your studying then just study more if you can. But I’d say if you are passing and consistent and feel comfortable, you’re fine.