If someone presents with a poster your name is on...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seals44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone from my lab will be presenting at a national conference, and the presentation includes some data which I contributed (I was also involved in writing the abstract). I will likely be listed as second or third author, though I'm not sure which it will be. Additionally, I will likely attend the conference but not do the actual presentation (which is either a poster or podium presentation... again, not entirely sure).

How does this look to adcoms? Is it somewhat on the same level as actually presenting? How would I put this on the AMCAS?

Sorry for the vague details.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not your poster, and you're not presenting, so it's not on the same level as a poster presentation.

When you describe your research on AMCAS, you can say that you contributed to a poster that was presented at a national conference.

Reactions: 1 user
A graduate student had made me co-author of his poster for a conference (which only he attended). Can I put that as part of my research in AMCAS apps? The findings of his poster were mostly from my summer research poster to which he was my grad mentor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Key question: are you on the abstract?

Either way, on my app I had an EC called Publications, Posters, and Abstracts..just listed everything my name was ever on haha.. Got nothing but good feedback about it, and no one thought it was odd.

Last edited:
If your name is on this, you can say this was research (work) of your presented at a conference. You can just list the conference and the title of the poster. No need to delve into any more detail than that.

It's not your poster, and you're not presenting, so it's not on the same level as a poster presentation.

When you describe your research on AMCAS, you can say that you contributed to a poster that was presented at a national conference.

I'm going to add just a tad here..if his name was on the poster he should list it in the proper order of authorship as a scientific citation, and instead of a journal name he should write the conference name.

Someone from my lab will be presenting at a national conference, and the presentation includes some data which I contributed (I was also involved in writing the abstract). I will likely be listed as second or third author, though I'm not sure which it will be. Additionally, I will likely attend the conference but not do the actual presentation (which is either a poster or podium presentation... again, not entirely sure).

How does this look to adcoms? Is it somewhat on the same level as actually presenting? How would I put this on the AMCAS?
Provided you are listed as an author, IMO you can legitimately list the Experience under Posters/Presentations, including the title and author list, or your placement on the list after the first name, giving credit to the actual presenter (like, "presented by first author").

If you are not listed as an author, I agree with Ismet.

A graduate student had made me co-author of his poster for a conference (which only he attended). Can I put that as part of my research in AMCAS apps? The findings of his poster were mostly from my summer research poster to which he was my grad mentor.
Even though you were not at the conference, if your name is on that poster, and it's based on your work, you could list it under Posters/Presentations, giving credit to the presenter.

However, if it is the same data you have already presented, generally you would not list both in their own space. Instead, you would choose the most prestigious presentation site of that data set to fill in the header of the space, and then in the narrative state that the same data was presented at (date, conference, title of poster, ordered authorship, presenter). In case you had any doubt, a research seminar on your campus has far less prestige than a regional or national conference, even if you were the actual presenter for that event.

Key question: are you on the abstract?

Either way, on my app I had an EC called Publications, Posters, and Abstracts..just listed everything my name was ever on haha.. Got nothing but good feedback about it, and no one thought it was odd.
I'm going to add just a tad here..if his name was on the poster he should list it in the proper order of authorship as a scientific citation, and instead of a journal name he should write the conference name.
You are one of those rare, prodigiously-publishing outliers who had to stretch AMCAS guidelines to squeeze in everything important. It is a rare applicant who is so challenged.

It's nice to have contributed to research in some way esp if it gets presented at a conference. However, you would only e able to list your contributions- you wouldn't be able to say that you presented it, you know?

It's part of your research, and to my eye, shows that you have been productive. It's the type of thing that goes under Rsearch as:

Publications
published
in press
submitted

Posters and Abstracts

Even though you were not at the conference, if your name is on that poster, and it's based on your work, you could list it under Posters/Presentations, giving credit to the presenter.

However, if it is the same data you have already presented, generally you would not list both in their own space. Instead, you would choose the most prestigious presentation site of that data set to fill in the header of the space, and then in the narrative state that the same data was presented at (date, conference, title of poster, ordered authorship, presenter). In case you had any doubt, a research seminar on your campus has far less prestige than a regional or national conference, even if you were the actual presenter for that event.

Thanks for the advice!

I have one more question: my internship consisted of a poster and a podium presentation. On both presentations my name appeared first, followed by my graduate mentor, and then our lab PI. May I ask if I should put myself as first author or co-author?

I have one more question: my internship consisted of a poster and a podium presentation. On both presentations my name appeared first, followed by my graduate mentor, and then our lab PI. May I ask if I should put myself as first author or co-author?
Presumably, the lab PI approved the authorship order, so follow his/her lead.

Definitely counts as your post/abstract. In my research group, it's always the PI that presents our posters. Doesn't mean you didn't contribute to or *cough* do most of the work.