if you can't do, teach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suedehead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'd really dig teaching and being involved in residency training after residency's all done. And I don't plan on remaining here where I've trained (and I know it's easier to stay on faculty where you've trained).

So, generally speaking (if that's possible), what makes one competitive in the world of teaching/academic/administrative psychiatry? MPH? Fellowship? Having 'chief resident' on your CV? Masters?

Maybe none of the above.... I know it's generally a pay CUT. I would just really love taking this tract rather seriously.

Anyone else interested in making a career in psych residency training?

Members don't see this ad.

It's about a millennium down the road for me, but it's one of my current interests (though not specific to psych).

So, generally speaking (if that's possible), what makes one competitive in the world of teaching/academic/administrative psychiatry? MPH? Fellowship? Having 'chief resident' on your CV? Masters?

I'm pretty sure that 80% of the qualification is being willing to be paid 30% less than you could in non-academic practices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure that 80% of the qualification is being willing to be paid 30% less than you could in non-academic practices.

yeah, that's the word.
if one IS willing to take that pay cut, what sort qualifications give one an edge on planet 'residency training?'

You are talking about becoming TD/PD or something like that right? If so...

Make sure to get involved with AADPRT early.

Try to score a Ginsberg Fellowship.

You are talking about becoming TD/PD or something like that right? If so...

Make sure to get involved with AADPRT early.

Try to score a Ginsberg Fellowship.

I'd also put in a plug for the Association for Academic Psychiatry (OPD and I are currently at the annual meeting). It's probably the friendliest organization I've come across and is filled with folks eager to mentor folks who want a career in teaching.

www.academicpsychiatry.org

I'd also put in a plug for the Association for Academic Psychiatry (OPD and I are currently at the annual meeting). It's probably the friendliest organization I've come across and is filled with folks eager to mentor folks who want a career in teaching.

www.academicpsychiatry.org

Perhaps more important than going to out of town meetings and national organizations (though I am having a great time) is just to be a visible member of the "Coalition of the Willing" at your local institution. Life is FULL of opportunities to teach, and since few of these opportunities are highly paid, volunteers are often scarce. Let your willingness be known and step up to the plate.

?

fellowship training doesn't hurt. Not that hard to get an academic position. The resources others have mentioned will help you keep the position and advance.