If you can't make it to an interview, please call!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My buddy was interviewing over at the east coast and one of the candidates had been delayed due to some issues with the airline. He made sure to e-mail and call the coordinator. Luckily, he did so early and she was able to get a local candidate off the waitlist.

I'm hoping that the same thing could happen for me, so if you guys can't make it due to some unforeseen circumstance or just don't want to attend, please make sure you call in and cancel. January is still interview month. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with this 100%. Let programs know as soon as possible if you need to cancel or can't make an interview for whatever reason. If you are cancelling well before the interview, send an email and follow-up if you don't hear anything back. If your interview date is right around the corner, give the program a call and send an email. Programs receive hundreds of emails a day, and they may receive your cancellation message by phone before they sift through all their emails. Again, make sure you receive confirmation that your message has been received.

Don't forget that how you handle this situation says a lot about your professionalism. I have seen some programs contact medical school deans when applicants have no showed. Be sure to keep a record of your communication sent to the program about interview cancellation.

If you're on a waitlist for a residency program interview and you have the flexibility to travel at a moment's notice for an opening, I would recommend communicating that to the program coordinator.

Samir Desai

Programs will BLACKLIST schools for poor form. True story.