If you could do it over would you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah I think universities are a business even at the undergraduate level. NRA brings up a point in comparing medical education to other countries.

Other countries also don't require a full undergraduate education before med school which begs the question of why this country makes a lot of professional programs require years of undergraduate work before going onto med school.
Wow you didn't know universities operate on a business scale? Why do you think you have to drop a certain amount of money to even send in an application? And you have to pay a fee to get the application 're-evaluated'? Its a business, colleges have to make up for their cutting edge classrooms and obscene internet speeds somehow.

Members don't see this ad.

The more I read these posts and reflect, the more I think I might have gone Pharmacy-probably more enjoyable for a Chemistry person such as myself, no residency needed to get a job at CVS, in my state if you graduated early (3 years) and had the state scholarship you could apply to the state school and get a tuition break your first year.

A couple of high school friends of mine did that. Not such a bad gig, in my opinion. Graduated in 7 years, with a PharmD, so technically a "Doctor"(tell that to the patients-ha!), get to wear a lab coat. But if you like science and put up with the heavy pharmacology courseload, you make good bread doing a relatively easy job. If you want some extra dough when you're straight out of school you can work the night shift.

Of course you still get your fair share of drug seekers "Yeah I was taking my valium in the shower and I accidentally spilled them all down the drain," and there's frustrating paperwork and approvals for meds because of attorneys, but the pharm techs do most of the dirty work. If I could go back and consult myself, I'd tell myself to seriously consider Dentistry for the greater opportunities or Pharmacy as an alternative. Bottom line-doctoral degree in a different health profession.

I am an undergraduate. Read with caution.

First of all, great thread, great discussion. It seems to me that alot of the people in this thread who hate their jobs never had another career. I would just like to tell you that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Many of the things people are complaining about are pretty common problems with a lot of jobs. Another thing i have noticed is that their are alot of very condescending people on these boards. Their seems to be quite a sense of elitism by some people (read some, not all). Just because you have to care for someone who is poor or fat as opposed to someone who is rich, good looking and thin. I mean, are you kidding me? Also, a 37 on the MCAT and a 3.9 undergraduate GPA does not make you a better person than the next guy:rolleyes: (or girl). I just wish that in the 10-15 years of schooling and training some of the humility some of you learned would have stuck.

Now, a chance for you to retaliate. I am changing careers from finance. I am an undergraduate. I genuinely like helping people. I like socializing (even with poor people or drug addicts, and i come from a background with many of both). I enjoy volunteering and the feeling of making a difference.

This is my rant. I appreciate the opinions of everyone on these forums and you have all been very helpful.

I can only imagine the amount of time and hard work some of you have put in to get where you are today. I can also only imagine what it is like to devote such a large amount of time and money and energy into something only to realize that you do not like it. For those of you who hate medicine and plan to change careers, i wish you luck. Im sure you will be very successful if you work as hard as you have to become a doctor.

Disclaimer: i am usually a very positive person and i rarely speak ill of others, but something in this thread and a couple of others has struck a nerve.

Brad

Reactions: 1 user
I am an undergraduate.

This should be the begining and end of your post. You have no idea what awaits you. The above quoted line and the "I like to socialize...even with drug addicts" tells everyone exactly your level of knowledge on the subject. You've never had an inpatient drug addict screaming for Dilaudid at the top of his lungs all night...its not a social interaction that you'll love and no...taking the time to explain and understanding his/her point of view is not the solution to the problem.

I think a lot of people in the medical profession bitch too much, I love what I do and I've done other things and surgery is the greatest thing in the world. I would never do anything different, but I don't want to hear **** from the undergrad crowd. Sit, learn. You may be a genious and when you've gone through it you may have some serious insight to add. At that point please do, but no matter how smart you are your intelligence doesn't add to this conversation without experience.

Dynx,
I appreciate your point of view, and you are correct about me oversimplifying with the socializing with drug addicts comment. Just because someone is a drug addict doesn't necessarily mean they are going through withdrawals as I speak to them. Any type of patient can be hysterical (I may be mistaken, seeing as I am just an undergrad). As far as bringing something to the conversation, I can bring my views as a career changer.
By the way, I am definately not a genius, and upon your recommendation I will change my original post to begin and end my post with I am an undergraduate.
I wonder what it would be like if everyone in the financial field felt that anyone outside of the financial field of work couldn't bring any perspective to a conversation of financial issues:rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.