If you do bad in SMP courses...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeanddream88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that if someone is in the SMP program, then they will be taking the same classes as medical students. Usually the average to get accepted into medical school from the SMP program is a B. But what if, you get Cs in your SMP medical school courses. Does this show med school that you can't handle it?? What are the cons of SMP program??

Members don't see this ad.

I know that if someone is in the SMP program, then they will be taking the same classes as medical students. Usually the average to get accepted into medical school from the SMP program is a B. But what if, you get Cs in your SMP medical school courses. Does this show med school that you can't handle it?? What are the cons of SMP program??

If you do poorly in medical school courses during an SMP, you've pretty much screwed your application permanently. No SMP takes the entire M1 curriculum, so if you still do poorly, you've shown that you can't even handle a less rigorous schedule than med school, which will = no acceptances. And this (the high risk) is probably the biggest con of any SMP.

That being said, if you're cut out for med school and put the time in, you will have no problem in an SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
so is it recommended to do the SMP program??

For people with a certain range of stats that are below the borderline where an easy fix of either less than a year of UG science courses or a few more points on the MCAT will put them over the top for admission, an SMP is definitely the best choice out there, especially ones with high "linkage" to their own med school and no glide year like EVMS or UCincy.

21-month old thread - not sure it needed resurfacing or even if the OP is still around anymore.

I simply feel to need to flood the forum with myriads of new threads of the SAME topic.
Prospective SMPs may find it helpful.

I concur with your sentiment but you are also assuming people use the search feature....which they dont

I concur with your sentiment but you are also assuming people use the search feature....which they dont

That's also assuming the search feature works well... which it doesn't (unless you fork over the $$)