If you don't get in your first try, where to next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubberducky22

Reaction score
I applied this cycle a bit last minute and had 2 LORs fall through so I had to apply with 3 only, I have 3 schools left to hear back from after some rejections but did not get reviews out of the rejections so I'm looking for direction on where to aim for next just in case.
3.7 cumulative GPA 3.6ish vmcas calculated
1000+ ER/GP and still building on as my current job
BS in equine science, will be a new grad by next cycle
200+ research
400+ volunteer
2000+ extracurricular with over 1500 being non animal related
I can't pursue an internship or anything unpaid due to being a nontrad student. Highly considering making a switch from ER/GP to more large animal and equine to follow my interest but it is difficult to find in my area :/

Members don't see this ad.

I applied this cycle a bit last minute and had 2 LORs fall through so I had to apply with 3 only, I have 3 schools left to hear back from after some rejections but did not get reviews out of the rejections so I'm looking for direction on where to aim for next just in case.
3.7 cumulative GPA 3.6ish vmcas calculated
1000+ ER/GP and still building on as my current job
BS in equine science, will be a new grad by next cycle
200+ research
400+ volunteer
2000+ extracurricular with over 1500 being non animal related
I can't pursue an internship or anything unpaid due to being a nontrad student. Highly considering making a switch from ER/GP to more large animal and equine to follow my interest but it is difficult to find in my area :/
It's hard to give specific advice for you without knowing where you applied, your IS/OOS status, and who's rejected you so far. You could try posting in the WAMC subforum with complete info to get some help about where to apply next year.

General advice, for everyone:
1. Make sure you are targeting the right schools. Your in-state school is usually your best choice. If you're applying to out-of-state schools, make sure your stats are competitive with the students they usually admit.
2. Make sure your LORs are great, not just good but great, and that you're providing the number and type that the school wants. If you're not sure someone is going to write you a great letter, be candid with them about what you need, and give them an out if they can't provide that.
3. Have many people read your personal statements. Make sure your essay answers the prompts. Make sure it's actually personal so the adcoms learn something interesting about you.
4. If you have the option to get file reviews, take advantage of that so you know what the school wants you to improve to be more competitive.

Reactions: 2 users
I know that I personally will be going for a master's degree if I don't get in this cycle!

I need a break from studying so I figured why not just hop on SDN lol, but what genny has said is super important! Since you applied last minute, I'm assuming this means that you didn't get as much time as usual to review all the vet schools in depth. If you don't get in this cycle, I think that this should first be your next step. Study each school, study the stats of students who get in, class requirements, GPA requirements, and specializations. Not only would I do that, but I would also study the location of the area. I would also spend more time revising or even writing a whole new personal statement and then make sure that you have people who can review it for you. Finally, if you can, a master's degree might be a plus, but that's only if you can afford it. It isn't necessary tbh and isn't a make or break kind of factor.