If you had a kid preparing for college what would you push them into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Students have the pipe dream of landing a job with low stress and liability and bankers' hours of IT professionals while earning the purported prestige, salary, and job security of a doctorate in the health professions. Thus, a lot of technology inclined students pursue the PharmD in the hopes of melding their drug knowledge and interest in technology.

Reality is that the PharmD provides none of the advantages listed above. Real opportunities, e.g. pharmacist informatics positions are far and few between and typically require candidates to move across the country.
Well, unless you happen to live in the tech hub area lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently approached by a recruiter from a health tech startup called Project Ronin, which was co-founded by Larry Ellison, the co-founder and CTO of Oracle, for an informatics position.

Guess what, they are on the way to accomplish just that. I see a world without pharmacists, retail or clinical, in maybe 10-15 years. When in-cloud AI-driven real-time data-collection & clinical decision support software can do everything a "clinical" pharmacist do in just a fraction of a second, what's the use of those "clinical pharmacists" for MDs, really? What's their place in hospitals really? Just for order verification and MTM? Can't nurses or any experienced pharmacy tech do that too lol?

Just curious, can you give a roundabout idea of what they offered you in terms of salary/benefits/equity?

Just curious, can you give a roundabout idea of what they offered you in terms of salary/benefits/equity?
Not there yet. But I am pretty sure it won't be as good as other system development roles like systems engineers, SWEs, ML engineers or data scientists they are hiring. If I do end up going there, transitioning out of informatics into ML engineer or data scientist roles would be the plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not there yet. But I am pretty sure it won't be as good as other system development roles like systems engineers, SWEs, ML engineers or data scientists they are hiring. If I do end up going there, transitioning out of informatics into ML engineer or data scientist roles would be the plan.

Do you know approximately how much they're offering in terms of starting salaries (along with equity and benefits) for the other positions you mentioned?

Do you know approximately how much they're offering in terms of starting salaries (along with equity and benefits) for the other positions you mentioned?
around 120k base, 170-180k total comp, for data scientists.
For SWE, I am not sure, but should be higher than data scientist roles, as trends in other high tech companies show.
ML engineers, at least on par with SWE if not more. They should command/negotiate for higher pay due to current supply/demand.

Reactions: 1 user
Never plan to have them, but I'd likely encourage STEM. If they wanted to go into the allied health field, I'd tell them to choose an easy major and get the prerequisites. I majored in English and still did just fine in all of my science pre-reqs. If they wanted to go into teaching, I'd probably push them into a masters because you can't make **** on a Bachelor's.

I'll push them into finance. I also teach them to live within their means and know how to grow their inherited money.