If you skipped a VR passage on the real MCAT, how did you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found the below thread from 2010. Has anyone tried skipping a passage on the real MCAT since 2010 and how did it go?

Can you also mention whether you were scoring significantly better when going slower than faster?

While this doesn't work well for most people, I suspect that there is a certain kind of person with an uncommon skill profile that this works well for.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...d-it-work-for-anyone-on-the-real-mcat.751522/

Members don't see this ad.

Well my first language is not English, so what I am doing atm is to focus on the first 5 passages and try to get all the questions right and make education guess for the last two passages. This may not be effective for you if your first language is English.

My friend got suggested by his princeton review tutor to do this, and he got 10 on his verbal. His first language is also not English.

We prefer to do this because it takes us too much time to just read + understand the passages..
So, instead of rushing through every single passage and do not get anything out of them, I am trying to spend about 10~11 mins on each passage + Qs. I used to get 6-7.. but now I am scoring 8~9.

Last edited:
I really would advise against this... I feel like if it ever works, it's based mostly on luck and is therefore not something you should count on.

Gauss, so you're struggling with timing on the verbal? What kind of other strategies have you tried?