if you think your life is bad, read this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lady in red

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, the day I got back from UCSF interview I got 5 rejections (FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in the mail (makes 10 total for me), a letter saying 'on hold for interview' at...ummm...Morehouse School of Medicine, and my husband served me divorce papers. read on. I was so upset and distracted, I left a couple thousands dollars worth of antibodies at room temperature and now my boss is firing me. Is that a punishment for that one interview or what?

Members don't see this ad.

ouch lady in red!!! sorry to hear all that....hope your christmas cheers you up...

lady in red - I am so sorry!! That really sucks! The med schools - don't know what they are missing out on.
The guy - obviously crazy!
and the boss - how insensitive.

Here's wishing you a new year filled with acceptances and a cute new man!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not good at all! I'm so sorry to hear about that! Talk about a bad day.

Hopefully UCSF will come back and accept you, and at least take away some of the pain. :D

Cheer up, and try to have a merry Christmas! I know it's not much of a consolation, but we'll always be here for you on SDN! :D You're so nice to the rest of us all the time, so it's the least we can do!

wow ladyinred. the good news is that it can only get better from here. I know it must be hard, but try to think about the good things in your life. The holiday season can be really depressing if things aren't going so well. I'm sure everything will work out. my theory is taht as bad as it gets, that means it will get that good a bit later. sort of ying/yang.

keep your head above water and keep smiling and it will work out.

take care. and maybe we'll both be at ucsf next year!

well, i guess my point was to cheer you guys up--i know many of you aren't hearing much from schools now and are upset; i was, too, awhile ago, until all this crap happened, and now I am grateful i even was able to apply this year! i just hope it gets worse before it gets better!

lady in red,

I really hope things get better for you soon -- you sound really nice and that's a bunch of stuff to deal with all at once.

Keep your head up and I hope you get some good news soon. :)

congratulation lady in red,

i'm going to cut out the sorry this and sorry that and let you know that you have encountered a golden opportunity in your life. It's opportunities like this that will make you taste your life and yourself more. wow!! i foresee that you are going to be very strong and wise and not on the other end of the spectrum. i believe that you will have a lifetime of satisfaction from your positive responses. oh yeah, try to appreciate the temporary sadness.

my condolences to you lady in red. just learn from your interviews thus far, and improve for the next ones. remember to project yourself as a happy person. don't let this stuff get the best of you in the interviews. i don't know you, but i wish you good luck. :)

Hey Lady in Red,
I've been reading SDN posts for a while now, but just have never posted. From what I've seen from you, you are a sweet person. I don't know why your husband would do such a thing. But, at least now you don't have to figure him into your medical school plans...and, all the rejections from the other medical schools are probably because you're just too good for them. Just wait and see...you'll have a fat envelope from UCSF waiting for you in 8 weeks. And, then you can go to medical school with a clean slate, starting anew. Best of luck to you, and try your darndest to enjoy this holiday season. :) I think it's fair to say that all of us are rooting for you.

lady in red,

I have a story to cheer you up. Except I'm presently preoccupied...I'll write it for you later or whenever this "fun" ends... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Santa Claus:
•lady in red,

I have a story to cheer you up. Except I'm presently preoccupied...I'll write it for you later or whenever this "fun" ends... :rolleyes: •••

Well, it is December 23rd. I suppose you'll be busy for a couple days, Santa. :D

But, I'm sure you'll do fine, lady in red. :D Good things usually happen to good people, even if they have to put up with some crap first. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Lady - I have to agree that you seem very nice and genuine from your posts. I am horrified that you have had such a bad stroke of luck. But perserverence, self-awareness and integrity will get you far. I hope that the heartbreak does not hurt too deeply, but I have definitely been there and would not wish it on anyone. The rejections you can't take personally! It has been my experience and observation that schools - try as they might - do not always see the truest and most valuable qualities in a person. Think of it as a case of institutional myopia and nothing else. Keep your spirits up! You are not alone.

brandonite,
Sheesh, am I that easy to figure out? :)

lady in red,
Here's a story to make you laugh. Last night I went out w/ some friends to this new club. My dad hates when I go out to bars/clubs b/c he thinks they're all too trashy for his daughters (blah,blah,blah), so basically I never tell him that I'm going to one. Anyways, I go out to the new club but don't tell my parents where I'm heading, and I meet this guy and talk and dance etc....Well, this morning I go to my dad's office to help him out b/c he had given 1/2 his staff the day off. Well, take a guess as to who walks in the door...it's none other than Mr Dancing partner from last night! The dude is obviously surprised but he doesn't make the connection b/t father & daughter. We talk for a little bit, and the entire time I'm praying that my dad doesn't walk in OR that the dude loses his voice. As the guy gets to the part about "...I had fun dancing w/ you blah blah blah...", my dad walks in. He and the guy start talking and I'm thinking "please shut up, please shut up...I'm going to be busted!" The ignorant fool rambles on about this new club in town and how he was there last night and how my dad's office help (aka me) was there too. My dad gives me the "you're in for it" look; this dude is like totally the opposite of what a father wishes for his daughter... I'm thinking "oh great...I might as well pack and leave for a convent." My dad encourages the ***** to keep on talking and he asks the ***** if his office help had gotten out on the dance floor and danced. The *****'s like "oh yeah Dr...we danced together the majority of the night." At this point, I'm just wishing the floor would swallow me whole to save me from my parents' wrath. Finally, as the guy leaves my dad says "I'm glad you had a fun time w/ my DAUGHTER" and the ***** pauses, turns around, and runs out the door leaving me alone to stare down my dad. Fortunately, I'm still alive, but I have a feeling I'm going to be denied entrance to every bar/club in town if my dad has a say in it!! I swear..the world is too friggin small!!!!

Anyways, I usually cheer my friends up w/ my life anecdotes, so I hope this cheered you up... :)

The schools that rejected you have no clue what they're missing out on. Don't lose sleep over them! As far as he opposite sex goes, well they're not too bright as both of our experiences illustrate. I'm sure good news is on the way...I can't imagine things getting any worse for you. If you can live through this, you can live through anything! Don't let these unfortunate happenings ruin you holidays...you know what else....this year will soon be coming to an end! Yeah!! Happy, happy, joy, joy! You can put all this behind you and start on a clean slate!!!

Here's hoping for some good things to come your way... :)

lady in red,
I've read a lot of your posts recently and you seem like a really fun, genuine person. I hope everything works out ok....we're here for you :)

Hi lady in red,
I am sorry that you were bombarded with so many tough things at once. As Santa Claus said, you will be starting a new year, thus a fresh new slate. When you get into medical school (always think this way-if you work hard enough and persevere, you will get there!)you will embark upon a new chapter in your life and the possibilities are boundless. Remember everything, through time, works itself out. It is up to you to make it a positive experience! Hang in there! :D :D

Ouch I'm really sorry that all of that stuff happened to you. I had a friend in a similar situation. His wife left him and served him with divorce papers 2 days before the MCAT. He ended up doing terribly, and got flat out denied to over 20 schools. Then she served him with a restraining order, and tried to take control of his bank account. It took him a little while, but he pulled himself together, retook the mcat, and got into a top 10 school.

My story's kinda different. One quarter at UCLA my computer exploded, my fiancee cheated on me and left, my live-in grandma died(she damn near raised me), and my car was stolen. I retreated into my coursework and ended up with a 4.0 that quarter.

You'll pull through this, it won't hold you down for long. Keep your head up, and stay focused.
Good luck.

Lady...

My wife served me with those lovely papers about seven years ago. At the time, I had only a childhood fantasy about medical school and my life was going nowhere.

To make a long story short, I was so angry about what she did (left me for another dude..in fact the guy worked in my office and I had to look at him and endure gossip every day for 2 years) I wanted revenge. A good friend of mine told me that Socrates once said "the best revenge is to live well."

Because of the divorce, I got my life together, started college, became the soldier of the year, experienced unbelievable sucess in my career, all my finacial investments boomed, found a wonderful lady who became my second wife (my beautiful new bride was the true catalyst for all this change). Best of all I was just accepted to med school (I also have a pile of 10+ rejection letters as well).

My point? the bad stuff will become good stuff, if you are a good person (we all know you are) and have in mind to do good, all will turn for you. Life has a peculiar way of balancing itself. Then you can be thankful to you a-hole boss and your **** head ex-husband.

But wait...thats not all...if one is motivated to hurt others with bad faith actions, he/she will get theirs. My X is still selling shoes at a local department store to this very day (this is what she was doing when I met her). She is divorced again and is now a single mother. The guy she left me for is an alcoholic and has lost his military career.

The best revenge is to live well...

{{{{{{{{{{{Lady}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} you better get some damn good Christmas presents. And I think I'll personally go kick your boss. Antibodies can be replaced and your lab probably has like a couple hundred thousand dollar grant anyway. Oh, and I think while I'm at it, I'll go kick your ex too. ::::Boot:::::

Loki you're my feaking hero bro.

Sorry to hear about that lady. Nitemagi and I both live and work in SF, so if you want us to track any of these a-h*les down and straighten 'em out, we'll take care of it. JK. We all know you've got what it takes, soon enough THEY will recongnize this too. It'll get a lot better!!

sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. when $#-+ happens, it seems to happen all at once. although I feel badly for you because you seem like a really cool person, you did accomplish your goal of making me put things in perspective. Lately I have been dreading going back to school because of problems with a friendship, hating living in the dorm, the fact that I may well have no personal life due to the rigors of anatomy next semester, and one of my anatomy partners is kinda irritating. But then I think back to 6 months ago, when I was on 6 waitlists and feeling totally hopeless and sad. Earlier in the year, my dad had attempted suicide (thank god, did not suceed), I had been rejected by 15 schools, was diagnosed with bipolar disorder
myself, and had started to apply a third time. Then, I got into 2 schools, and am very happy to be at a top-50 med school this year. Good things happen; it just takes a lot of time, patience, and strength. Although I don't know you, you seem to have plenty of the last 2 qualities and will definitely make it through IMHO. Good luck and happy holidays!

Ouch, I think that's the worst day I've ever heard about. My goodness. Hopefully UCSF's acceptance letter is on the way!

Lady in Red,
I have to quote a movie I saw last week--You have to have the sour, to appreciate the sweet. (from Vanilla Sky)

I can't imagine what it must feel like to be in your shoes. Just know that one day (soon!) when you finally make it, the only person you will owe your succes to, is YOURSELF. My Christmas wish for you is that you see a big rainbow and a pot of gold at the end of this road. Hang in there, and when the new year begins, you make sure you do yourself a favor and start with a clean slate.

My best wishes to you.
Tweetie

you guys are so sweet, thanks. I haven't ever received so much encouragement and support. Well, I still have 47 schools to give me rejections :) and hope that one will be an acceptance. My boss fired people for even more trivial stuff than a bunch of antibodies. I am unemployed now, and enjoying it!!!!! Just don't like the 'no money' part. As for the new year promise, I promised myself to try harder and retake the MCAT for the next application cycle. I wish you guys and girls a lot of luck not only with applications in the next year, but with figuring out what we want from life. If anything else, this is what this nightmare made me realize.
Happy new year!

Ironically enough, my story is very similar to Loki's, so I won't reiterate it here! Let's just say his quote is OH SO TRUE! The VERY BEST revenge is to move on and do well! There isn't an "Ex" out there that doesn't cringe just a bit at the thought that the person they dumped is doing GREAT without them! I know my Ex (who was all about "appearances" & "money") kicks himself now that he knows I'm going to be a doctor...

Look at it this way, at least he left you now, and won't have any say about your future income (that sounds shallow, I know, but I really HATE hearing stories about spouses that run off with all the money after the OTHER ONE earns it!) You'll have plenty of opportunities to meet the "right one" in the future...sounds like Loki and I both did....and you will too! :)

Its time like these I save up the word F*** cause then it just feels good to say it. Then I remember things like this happen for a reason even if you dont know what it is just yet. What doesnt kill you love makes you stronger or so they say. Its Christmas!!!YAY!!!!!!!!! :D

Just wanted to lend my support to you lady in red. I'm another closet fan of yours and I hope everything works out for the best. I like to think everything happens for a reason, and as far as your soon to be ex husband is concerned, consider it a blessing in disguise. Good luck. You're in my thoughts. Make us SDNers proud by showing us your resilience and strength. :)

Lady in Red,
You go!! Best of luck to you in all your future aspirations. Happy New Year to you too!

I thought you might need a few smiles... =)=)=)=)

When so many bad things happen at once, it's hard not to see yourself as a victim of a terrible cosmic accident. Try to remember though, that we do have some control over our lives. Attitude has a huge influence over what happens to us. Don't let this string of unfortunate occurrances ruin the rest of the application process for you. Just keep your chin up, and hope for the best. Best of luck to you.

Originally posted by serpiente:
•When so many bad things happen at once, it's hard not to see yourself as a victim of a terrible cosmic accident. Try to remember though, that we do have some control over our lives. Attitude has a huge influence over what happens to us. Don't let this string of unfortunate occurrances ruin the rest of the application process for you. Just keep your chin up, and hope for the best. Best of luck to you.•••

I agree. One of my favorite quotes is:

"Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it."

Anyway, keep your head up, it'll work out if you want it bad enough.

I'm another closet fan of yours and I hope everything works out for the best.

That term "closet fan" makes me laugh :D . I think it's true for me too, lady in red. If you have so many in this anonymous forum, where we only know an inkling about your personality, imagine how many more admire you and will admire in real life.

I'm praying hard for your UCSF acceptance. Take care.

Are you a doctor now?

Reactions: 1 users
Just doing some late night trolling...ill stop now lol good night.

SDN was surprisingly supportive back in 2001 :eek:

Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.