If your work led to a publication, but you aren't listed as an author...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you still list the paper on your AMCAS application? Or do you really need to be an author to list it?
~350+ hours of data mining and statistical analyses... i had a poster presentation for a bio program at my school but stopped doing the data collection.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry boo boo, you aren't a co-author. Doesn't count.

Reactions: 1 users
Should you include the paper in the description of the research?

Members don't see this ad :)
This something that will come across as alot better and appropriate if its in your recommendation letter from your PI not in your resume.

This is research but not a publication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
You can list this experience as research on AMCAS. Personally, I don't see the point of putting the paper or mentioning it is a publish work if you aren't a co-author on your research description. I had similar experience like you do; spent ~400 hours on summer research. It was published but my name wasn't listed. So I wrote about my experience in research and how it helped me advance my path to medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
If your name isn't on it, you didn't do it.

can you still list the paper on your AMCAS application? Or do you really need to be an author to list it?
~350+ hours of data mining and statistical analyses... i had a poster presentation for a bio program at my school but stopped doing the data collection.

If your name isn't on it, you didn't do it.
Would this be okay?

Research Experience
- Description of Research... Work contributed to paper published in medical journal x