Ignoring Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al100100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional thinking about applying to med schools next cycle. The only prereqs I haven't taken are Bio 1/2, Orgo 2, and Biochem which I would hopefully be able to take at community college before next fall and I was considering applying next cycle. Biochem would most likely need to be done Fall 2022 which is after applying for schools (Would take Orgo 2 in summer 2022), would it be better to just ignore it and only apply to schools that don't require it?

Members don't see this ad.

You are planning to take the MCAT before biochem?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... probably a bit stupid but I was planning on self studying heavily and taking it next year
I highly advise against this. Biochem is the single most important prerequisite class as it permeates all sections of the exam except cars. Much more important than orgo 2.

Reactions: 2 users
I highly advise against this. Biochem is the single most important prerequisite class as it permeates all sections of the exam except cars. Much more important than orgo 2.
Yeah that was one of my worries, probably would be best pushing to a further out cycle then I assume

I second the advice to go through biochem before attempting the MCAT.

If you really want to take prereqs at CC, do it at a CC that doesn't have "community" in its name. I think it makes a difference.

e.g. Broward College

Last edited:
A bit? You would be crazy to do take MCAT as a nontrad, where the exam is of utmost importance to adcom. Add to that self postbacc with courses at CC. Is your goal to get into medical school and become a doctor or just apply quickly?
I understand its importance but it can't be that unreasonable to spend 3-4 months studying the material independently without the background of a biochem course... Plus I only need those 4 classes and It would be unreasonable to do an entire postbacc for 4 classes while also working fulltime

I second the advice to go through biochem before attempting the MCAT.

If you really want to take prereqs at CC, do it at a CC that doesn't have "community" in its name. I think it makes a difference.

e.g. Broward College
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus, thank you!

I don't really have a better choice than doing night classes at CC (mine is technically a "state college") sadly

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus, thank you!

I don't really have a better choice than doing night classes at CC (mine is technically a "state college") sadly
I understand its importance but it can't be that unreasonable to spend 3-4 months studying the material independently without the background of a biochem course... Plus I only need those 4 classes and It would be unreasonable to do an entire postbacc for 4 classes while also working fulltime

Given the benefits of doing a formal biochem course
- rigor, resources, structure
- prof to listen to/consult
- adcoms like to see that you took biochem
- some schools require biochem

It is recommended to take it as a formal course, CC or 4-year, especially for someone on a full-time job, due to the difficulty of navigating the subject entirely independently. But if you have to, take a look at the below resources

and also consider other resources. Search for university biochemistry exams published online to test your knowledge, periodically. You can also download a uni biochem syllabus and follow that outline. You can test how well you learned your stuff through AAMC prep hub question packs. Which segways into:

Before taking the MCAT
- buy AAMC prep hub materials to test yourself on all four sections of the exam
- take all four available practice tests
- once you've practiced enough and score well on those tests, go take the real thing
- if you really really want to ace the damn thing, buy the Altius MCAT mock tests and dig in

You are taking an exam that, especially as a nontrad, may indeed set the path for the rest of your life. And as a nontrad, you likely need the grades from those courses to matter when considering you application. I advise all applicants, especially the nontrads that I specialize in to take all course work, take a prep course and self study. There is no timeline except for a self imposed one that requires you to apply by a certain date and you would be much better off skipping a cycle than rushing competition of Material that may in fact determined if you ever become a doctor
Given the benefits of doing a formal biochem course
- rigor, resources, structure
- prof to listen to/consult
- adcoms like to see that you took biochem
- some schools require biochem

It is recommended to take it as a formal course, CC or 4-year, especially for someone on a full-time job, due to the difficulty of navigating the subject entirely independently. But if you have to, take a look at the below resources

and also consider other resources. Search for university biochemistry exams published online to test your knowledge, periodically. You can also download a uni biochem syllabus and follow that outline. You can test how well you learned your stuff through AAMC prep hub question packs. Which segways into:

Before taking the MCAT
- buy AAMC prep hub materials to test yourself on all four sections of the exam
- take all four available practice tests
- once you've practiced enough and score well on those tests, go take the real thing
- if you really really want to ace the damn thing, buy the Altius MCAT mock tests and dig in
Thank you both for the responses! It seems the best option for me would definitely to be pushing back a cycle and taking biochem before the MCAT. I will also definitely be acquiring a good amount of MCAT prep for the process as well.