IHS: Salary, Benefits etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kszimin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been awarded the IHS scholarship that pays for tuition and all additional fees plus a 1000 dollar a month stipend but I'm still hesitant. Can anyone tell me about IHS and what kind of salary I could be looking at after graduation as well as benefits. I have always thought I would end up doing private practice after school but work payback might give me a chance to increase my speed before plunging into that, plus ill have my school payed for.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the IHS scholarship the NHSC scholarship? I have never heard of it

Is the IHS scholarship the NHSC scholarship? I have never heard of it
Nah, but both programs are managed by the US Dept of Health and Human Services. The IHS is only available for students who can prove Native Alaskan or Native American heritage. http://www.ihs.gov/scholarship/

OP: How long is your service commitment for? What would your total COA be without the scholarship? Free tuition and a $12k/year stipend (tax free?) is a deal that is hard to pass by.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
COA would be rough 280 K. It comes with a 12 K stipend as well. What im really interested in is what kind of salary would i be looking at after graduating? I cant seem to find any answers.

Thanks

@kszimin...you can look at some of the usajobs.gov advertisements to get an idea? (I must warn, the layout of the job postings are atrocious). From what I know, starting out, I think you can expect 80K-130K depending on where you are located. If you fulfill your obligation through the USPHS Commissioned Corps, you can look up officer salary charts to work it out (will vary a bit based on location/BAH pay).

Here is an ad for South Dakota IHS Dentist:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/359389800

Oklahoma/Kansas IHS Dentists:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/352696100

Could you give some more detail about the IHS scholarship?

Your salary would be competitive and more lucrative depending on site. Remember that these sites being federal also usually compensate for full benefits, 401(k), vacation, sick days and CE. So in addition to guaranteed SALARY, you get a hefty benefit package. Understand that IHS also counts toward USPHS service commitment. So if you do 4 years there, and then 16 at any other USPHS site, you can retire from the USPHS with full pension. Which is a pretty sweet gig.

This also applies to all military scholarships. After your service commitment, you can join the USPHS and those 4+ years count toward service and pension. Pays very well with full benefits.

I'm an NHSC scholar myself.

Understand that IHS also counts toward USPHS service commitment. So if you do 4 years there, and then 16 at any other USPHS site, you can retire from the USPHS with full pension. Which is a pretty sweet gig.

This sounds great, but don't you have to be a commissioned officer in the U.S. Public Health Service Corps to have that counted as time towards retirement/pension? It is my understanding that OP will be a civilian and not an officer under the IHS program, and therefore will not qualify for the pension unless s/he does 20 years as an Officer in the USPHS AFTER fulfilling the IHS commitment.

It's like saying that civilian contractors at military dental clinics would receive pension after 20 years of working there- they wouldn't b/c they're not commissioned officers. Only those military dentists on active duty would get that benefit.

So I've been awarded the IHS scholarship that pays for tuition and all additional fees plus a 1000 dollar a month stipend but I'm still hesitant. Can anyone tell me about IHS and what kind of salary I could be looking at after graduation as well as benefits. I have always thought I would end up doing private practice after school but work payback might give me a chance to increase my speed before plunging into that, plus ill have my school payed for.

I have the IHS scholarship right now and I am doing an IHS externship in Oklahoma. If I could offer you one piece of advice: DO IT! Do not pass up a wonderful opportunity to have the most expensive graduate school program paid for.

Your payback can go one of two routes: first, become a commisioned corps officer (incredible benefits and option to retire after only twenty years of service), or direct tribal hire with more flexibility as to where you go and you negotiate your salary and benefits directly with the tribe.

This is a phenomenal opportunity to work in excellent clinics with some great dentists who can kind of show you the ropes after graduating. I plan on making a career out of the IHS, but you could just do your four-year commitment and then open a private practice. Plenty of the dentists I am working with right now in my externship had a private practice, but went to work for the IHS simply for the stress-free environment of not running an office.

If you decide not to accept the award this year, and you decide later on that you want to do it, you can always apply again next year, or the year after. Actually, it might be a good idea for you to only get the scholarship for the last two years of school: only a two year commitment with only two years of payback time that you can use to pay back your loans and gain clinical skills and speed.

If you decide not to accept the award this year, and you decide later on that you want to do it, you can always apply again next year, or the year after. Actually, it might be a good idea for you to only get the scholarship for the last two years of school: only a two year commitment with only two years of payback time that you can use to pay back your loans and gain clinical skills and speed.
That sounds awesome. This is how I plan on paying for school, if I get accepted. Was the application process pretty long and competitive because there don't seem to be many native american dentist out there?

That sounds awesome. This is how I plan on paying for school, if I get accepted. Was the application process pretty long and competitive because there don't seem to be many native american dentist out there?
It wasn't too bad, it think it was actually a lot easier to apply for than either the NHSC scholarship or the military HPSP scholarships form what my classmates have told me. You do need to write one essay, get two references to fill out a recommendation form, and fill out a few other items of paperwork. Once all that is filled out correctly and you've made sure to turn in all the right paperwork, you should have a good chance. As you know, there is a pretty big need for good dentists to work for the IHS so they are more willing try to give out dental scholarships than scholarships for pre-professional students. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

P.S. You do have to be a member of a federally recognized tribe to receive the scholarship.