MD IL - 3.91 GPA, MCAT in June, Strong Research and Diverse EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kishan93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning on applying this cycle but I have yet to take the MCAT. I'm currently signed up to take the test in June but I havent had the time to prepare till now so I may have to take it in June. Assuming that does go decently, what do my chances look like for MD programs?

IL Resident - Non-URM
cGPA,sGPA - 3.93,3.86
Major: Psychology
MCAT: Taking it in June (crossing my fingers for a miracle)

Extracurriculars:
Research: 400 hours in a cognitive neuroscience lab (acknowledged in a paper, name was on a poster my PI put up during a conference, and we're going to be submitting a paper in July that will have my name on it as first author), 300 hours in a Physical Biochemistry Lab (stayed on campus my freshman summer and worked here pretty much the entire time until the work became too much for me to handle with an overbearing schedule)

Volunteering: 100 hours volunteering at the hospital, 200 hours through my fraternity (various events such as blood drives, campus clean-ups, or raising awareness about our philanthropy)

Social Fraternity (2 years): I've been on the Risk Management committee since last fall. I've served as the Risk Management Liaison who basically coordinates with the local Police Department and the University to obtain proper guidelines for social events and other risk management policies. This past semester I was an observer for the Interfraternity Council (Observers go check another Frat's social events to make sure we're all accountable for one another)

Tutor (Intro-Level Sciences): 50 hours

I'm the Head of Peer Advising and Treasurer for an organization on campus that helps connect undergraduate researchers and helps undergrads find research as well. The Head of Peer Advising oversees and recruits Peer Advisors who are then assigned students with research interests similar to theres.

This past semester I joined a start-up consulting organization. The project I was assigned to is a very promising health-care start up and I was recently chosen to be the LAS Lead (they help with the recruitment of Liberal Sciences majors to the organization among other things)

I was the co-president of an event on campus this past fall that helped with the proper disposal of pharmaceutical drugs and raise environmental awareness.

Psi Chi Psychology Honor Society - General Member

My family physician recently agreed to let me shadow, but as I will be submitting my primary app in June it might not be of much help

LORs:
Strong letter from my Research Advisor, Pretty good letter from my consulting project manager, Decent letters from 2 science professors

Target Schools:
I've been saving up money the past two summers for applications so I'm ready to splurge for applications. I'm going to be applying to nearly every feasible school in the MidWest, East Coast and the South. My dream is to get into a school out west but every one and their dang mom wants to go there.

Schools that pop up to mind are: Rush, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, Loyola, Medical College of Wisconsin, IU, Wayne State, SLU, Wisconsin-Madison, Ohio State, Commonwealth Medical College, Albany, NYMC, Central Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Please tell me you are done writing your PS and have some polished work and activities.

Please tell me you are done writing your PS and have some polished work and activities.
I finished my PS last week and it's being checked by a few people at the moment, they all have said mostly positive things about it. I started filling out the AMCAS already and have everything completed besides the course info, school list and letters of rec section.

I think you are in very good shape as long as the MCAT is solid and you don't apply late! Good luck! :)