Illegal Immigrant in Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thetoothhurts91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this forum about six months ago: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=956221

Long story short, I am not a legal resident but I do have legal presence due to my DACA work permit.

I'm graduating this semester and I know that my dream on becoming a dentist has to be put on hold for now. I'm a dual science major with a 3.7 GPA so I think I have a shot statistically into getting in one dental school. I don't plan on cheating the system (aka marriage).

I'm not really sure what I'm asking. Any advice would be nice (other than "go home!" because the US of A has been my home for 20+ years) or if you know of someone who was able to get into dental school, that would also be helpful. Please, no political posts about me being from Mexifornia like last time, it's just unwarranted.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you talk to an immigration lawyer? I've heard there are new laws being proposed that would create pathways for people with your status to obtain citizenship, but for now I don't think you have a chance of being accepted here. But I think you should talk to a lawyer.

I know a woman in a similar situation- she was brought here as an infant, and all of her siblings are citizens. She graduated high school here, but couldn't attend college. She had to go to Mexico to continue her education. That's why I'm not too hopeful about your chances.

I think nationalism is poisonous to a democratic, civilized society. It doesn't make sense- the US invested tax money to educate you for all these years, and you put in the time to be successful. So now, instead of taking advantage of the resulting well educated, ambitious young person, who could put in several decades of productive service, they want to send you to enrich another country. By becoming a dentist, you would provide jobs, and pay back the money they spent educating you, through income taxes. We should at least be retaining people who have demonstrated that they are an asset to our society.

this is what is wrong with our country (reference to the above poster)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really sure what I'm asking.

This is a very delicate situation. I appreciate you doing everything right so far, and i am sorry the system does not have a solution for you.

Can you talk to an immigration lawyer?

I think this is your best bet!

this is what is wrong with our country (reference to the above poster)

I agree, but it is also a double edged sword. For every immigrant that exists like the OP, who has done everything right, there are 100 others who are in our country illegally, getting free healthcare, and not paying taxes.

Getting accepted will not be a problem. The problem will be paying for the schooling. With costs often around $400,000 you may have difficulty.

You may try to get in contact with Charles Alexander PhD at UCLA. Dr. Alexander serves as UCLA's associate vice provost of student diversity and director of academic advancement programs. Prior he spent 10 years at UCSF working at the school of dentistry in student admissions, outreach and recruitment, academic support programs, and student services. He also held the position as director of student academic affairs and assistant dean of student academic affairs.

As a Hispanic, you'll easily qualify for some type of minority status scholarship with your good GPA plus also easily get into any school you want. The problem is paying for it. The amnesty program being pass next month will take care of your illegal status problem. Maybe bank can loan out to you then.

There's also a Mexican dental school accredited by Cali board and probably cheaper.

Going to DS in Mexico doesn't sound like the worst option, if you're open to the idea.

Just my 2 cents..
Unfortunately, as you see many schools, even some private schools require you to have either some form of visa or greencard. That already limits the number of the schools you can apply.
Second, another disadvantage is that, you will be considered international, despite the length of residency, since you are not "legal" you can't be considered "in-state".
And as others have mentioned, even if you somehow get in, the problem will be getting loans. Also some schools ask you to pay 1 year of tuition in advance and show enough fund for the 2nd year.

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you right now. I want to apply to Dental School this summer but not too sure how to describe my immigration status. If you ever found some guidance I would appreciate if you share it.

Hello. Bumping this post!
I would like to just share my story.. I am currently an "undocumented" student with a tourist visa that has expired.. I lived in the US for over 15 years now.. parents brought me here when I was a kid. We had a lawyer that promised to get us "perm residence" aka greencard for a lot of money and ofc.. a close friend of ours for over 8 years has just randomly disappeared after taking our money.. Anyways; I have currently a 3.8 GPA with 22 AA 23 TS and 23 PAT DAT scores.. I am currently a Junior in my state University and I am so lost on what to do next.. Can I still apply as an international student to schools and get a US citizen to co-sign for my loans or can I not even be considered an international student because I don't have a student visa.. Like the orig poster, I fall under the DACA category. Anyone got any ideas or solutions? I've been stressing so much lately over this.. Thanks in advance!

As a Hispanic, you'll easily qualify for some type of minority status scholarship with your good GPA plus also easily get into any school you want. The problem is paying for it. The amnesty program being pass next month will take care of your illegal status problem. Maybe bank can loan out to you then.

There's also a Mexican dental school accredited by Cali board and probably cheaper.

Not really....at least not enough to pay for school.